Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 08 Dec 2017 (Friday) 13:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 28 days ago by davesrose.
Dec 19, 2017 18:48 as a reply to post 18522154 |  #76

The OP isn't running PS CS4: it's another member (SYS). I have a 15" UHD 2-in-1, and I'm finding with current software and Windows 10, hiDPI scaling is not as much of an issue now. With my laptop setup, the only software I've run into that doesn't support hiDPI is X-Rite. But Windows 10 does a good job of scaling it: with System(Enhanced) mode instead of Application controlled DPI scaling (under the compatibility tab in the program's properties).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Bournemouth
Dec 20, 2017 09:56 |  #77

BigAl007 wrote in post #18522154 (external link)
There is one very important thing that the OP is overlooking with the laptops that he is looking at, screen resolution. The XPS although not 4K or even really QHD, last time I looked 3200 was a bit smaller than 3840, you are really into HiDPI territory with these displays. The problem is that Ps CS4 is most definitely not HiDPI aware, and the only way to run the program so that you can see the toolbars etc is to run the screen at half native resolution. From my experience running a 27" 5K display, turing that down to 2560px looks really bad. Even though it simply requires binning four pixels together, with the new super pixels having a decent resolution for size of display the results are horrid. Adobe manage all of the screen drawing, so you cannot just rely on the Windows screen scaling, so although Office 2007 for example works fine, apart from the splash screen, that's not the case with Ps.

Unfortunately if you want to use Ps with a HiDPI machine at full native resolution you will have to move to using Ps CC on a subscription. Adobe did not add HiDPI to any of the perpetual licence versions of Ps.

I'm really surprised that you were getting prices without VAT when browsing the Dell UK website. When I got my desktop XPS machine back in the summer of 2016 the default was including VAT, although I recall an option to show ex VAT prices. Unless it is a website specifically aimed at business to business sales it is against British law to show prices ex VAT.

Alan

Wow. I don't know what to say to that.

View mein website:

www.rodlewisphotograph​y.co.ukexternal link

juliusmagno08
20 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 20, 2017 20:28 |  #78

i would buy dell 13 or 15

1,761 views & 22 likes for this thread
Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.