Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 09 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need new option for following thread.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 09, 2017 08:53 |  #1

The one feature that this software seems to be missing is an option that allows us to receive a notification when someone replies to a post in a thread that I no longer follow. Currently, I can only receive a notification when someone, anyone, posts a reply to a thread that we choose to follow. There are some threads where this is useful because I'm interested in all, or most, the responses. There are other threads that get so much action, or where the conversation goes off on a tangent, that it becomes impossible to follow or I just don't care to follow them. However, I would like to be notified when someone replies to a post that I placed in a thread that I no longer follow. We need an option for that.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,620 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 09, 2017 10:20 |  #2

Click on FYEO, upper left corner. Click latest replies. Forty latest replies can be found there.

Mark

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Larry Johnson.

Dec 09, 2017 12:04 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #3

That's useful info. Thanks. I've been on here since inception of the new software and never knew about that. This is exactly why we need a feature to notify us that someone replied directly to one of our posts in a thread that we don't follow, just like the purple thread notification box. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people are more interested in being notified that there is a response to one of their posts than learning that there are replies to a particular thread. Add a notification box informing us of "Replies to your posts", regardless of whether we follow the thread. One box for Replies to Followed Threads and one for Replies to Your Posts.

flickr (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 09, 2017 12:11 |  #4

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18514126 (external link)
That's useful info. Thanks. I've been on here since inception of the new software and never knew about that. This is exactly why we need a feature to notify us that someone replied directly to one of our posts in a thread that we don't follow, just like the purple thread notification box. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people are more interested in being notified that there is a response to one of their posts than learning that there are replies to a particular thread. Add a notification box informing us of "Replies to your posts", regardless of whether we follow the thread. One box for Replies to Followed Threads and one for Replies to Your Posts.

I think that's a good idea. I've been on here for years and there are many threads in which I may have posted but never followed, or followed at one time but no longer do. Someone could be asking you a question, etc regarding one of your posts and you would never know.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 05, 2018 01:00 |  #5

Agreed, would be a good feature to have.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,881 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2018 01:11 |  #6

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18514126 (external link)
Add a notification box informing us of "Replies to your posts", regardless of whether we follow the thread. One box for Replies to Followed Threads and one for Replies to Your Posts.

This is a most excellent idea. . In fact, it makes so much sense that it is hard to believe that it does not already exist. . A total "no brainer", as they say.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,539 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2018 10:19 |  #7

There's no notification box for it, but FYEO has a list of replies to your posts.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,881 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 05, 2018 11:30 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #18556798 (external link)
There's no notification box for it, but FYEO has a list of replies to your posts.

Right. . rrblint already said that in post #2.

The problem is that this only covers the last 40 replies. . For those of us who sometimes have to go several days without logging in, that wouldn't be sufficient - people could reply to our posts and we would never know unless we were following the thread.

This limit of 40 is especially limiting for those of us who participate in extremely active threads like the Word Association Game thread or the A-Z photo sharing thread. . Those types of threads could have upwards of 5 or 10 personal replies in a single hour!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

559 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need new option for following thread.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.