Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 09 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building a professional relationship with a model

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,301 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2017 23:34 |  #1

So, I've been seeing a few members here taking photos of the same models. I feel there are great benefits in doing that. You get better photos from people who have worked with you in the past and know your style. I'm also thinking that the creative ideas could come from both the model and the photographer after a while. Also, comfort in knowing the person you're working with could lead to some great spontaneous photos.

I've tried contacting models on Model Mayhem but have had no luck (there goes $32). While I'm not a big fan of Craigslist in general anymore I figured I'd post an ad there since I believe I'll find someone closer to my location doing that.

If anyone has any better ideas in finding a model to work with on a regular basis just for creative purposes, let me know. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,731 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by bobbyz.

Dec 10, 2017 12:25 |  #2

Were you paying the model or just TFP? And what is the $32 on MM? MM is getting bad now but I still find most of my models there. I haven't used CL.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,065 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 10, 2017 13:10 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #3

I was wondering what the 32 bucks was for too.

Cameraman.....you couldn't be more right with regard to the better you know the person, the better your pictures get. At least it certainly worked that way for me. When I first started shooting with my favorite my pictures pretty much sucked. After we got to know each other better and we shot together many times, I was getting much better results. And a great deal of that improvement I owe to her as she is very good at not only modeling but she's a pretty good shooter as well. So she had many great suggestions and I learned a lot from her. Plus, as we got to know each other better she became more intimate and relaxed and this really showed in the pictures.

Just my opinion but I would avoid Craigslist like the plague.

There is someone on here, and I'm sorry I can't remember who, but he simply sees people in public and approaches them and strikes a conversation in regard to shooting. I recall his posting pictures of a girl he met at a drive through that was very pretty and they shot together. I realize what most would think if approached like this but it clearly works for some. I mean....if you approach 10 people and get one taker......what the heck. Maybe suggest shooting in a public park to get to know each other a bit.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,399 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 10, 2017 13:16 |  #4

saea501 wrote in post #18514811 (external link)
There is someone on here, and I'm sorry I can't remember who, but he simply sees people in public and approaches them and strikes a conversation in regard to shooting. I recall his posting pictures of a girl he met at a drive through that was very pretty and they shot together.

If I recall, that was RickRitz.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,065 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 10, 2017 14:49 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #5

By golly...I think you're right, Look.

Thanks.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,250 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 10, 2017 15:06 |  #6

Yea MM used to be where we connected with models but the flake ratio was over 50% We also used/use CL a good amount and the flake rate is closer to 25% (I tell them all upfront if communication stops 24 hours before the shoot I just call it off).

We now get a lot of our models from casting calls we do on our social media accounts.

We have several models that we work with all the time, Taylor is pushing 20ish shoots, Treicia is at probably 12 and Kaitlin is around 10, Eris 5, and lots of others in the 2-3 range with more to come. And some of those are multi day traveling trips. Its a lot of fun, we shoot our idea and their ideas, they help me out when I have an idea that im not to sure of but want to give it a shot anyways. And yea the photos get better every time.

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,301 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2017 18:09 |  #7

The $32 was referring to the fee on model mayhem for the premium service for 6 months. It's getting pretty ridiculous there. Now you HAVE to pay at MM just to message the models. And then you have to wait for their reply. I've sent about 20 messages on MM within the last couple weeks and haven't heard anything back.

And Craigslist, I've tried to sell stuff on there and the CL email address I get will get a ton of spam so I usually end up deleting the ad from CL just to stop the spam.

I'm not good at just walking up to people I don't know and asking them to pose/model for me but sounds like an interesting question. I'll have to get with rickritz and find out how he does it.

Since I'm looking for an ongoing proffessional deal, paying them every time could get expensive. The rickritz idea could be beneficial for both of us. And I will definitely look into that if mm and CL don't pan out.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,250 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 10, 2017 18:38 |  #8

CameraMan wrote in post #18514990 (external link)
The $32 was referring to the fee on model mayhem for the premium service for 6 months. It's getting pretty ridiculous there. Now you HAVE to pay at MM just to message the models. And then you have to wait for their reply. I've sent about 20 messages on MM within the last couple weeks and haven't heard anything back.

And Craigslist, I've tried to sell stuff on there and the CL email address I get will get a ton of spam so I usually end up deleting the ad from CL just to stop the spam.

I'm not good at just walking up to people I don't know and asking them to pose/model for me but sounds like an interesting question. I'll have to get with rickritz and find out how he does it.

Since I'm looking for an ongoing proffessional deal, paying them every time could get expensive. The rickritz idea could be beneficial for both of us. And I will definitely look into that if mm and CL don't pan out.

When contacting models on MM I found I had to sort the models based on last activity to find those that are active. Even then you may not get a response. I would message models up to 100 miles away and a lot of them would end up traveling to me (we would plan shoots that lasted 4-6 hours to make it worth their time).

With regards to CL, set up a email just for CL ads. With that being said we did not get a ton of spam from the ads we put up, not like if we were selling something.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,731 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 10, 2017 23:58 |  #9

I have free MM account and you don't have to pay anything to send messages to anyone. I do all the time.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,465 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Dec 11, 2017 00:38 |  #10

I'm not good at just walking up to people I don't know and asking them to pose/model for me but sounds like an interesting question.

It's all in the frame of mind. If you look at every person you meet as an unapproachable person, then yes, beginning the conversation can be difficult. You claim you have a difficult time "just walking up to people" but that's exactly what you do on Model Mayhem or Craig's List. You're just using a different format. You may be hiding behind a computer but you're still approaching a stranger and asking them to model for you. As I said, it's all in the mindset. For me, I approach every person as if I've met them somewhere in my past. It skips the awkwardness and it makes the person feel instantly at ease.

As for finding models... have you considered something "closer to home"? You very own facebook account. I am sure you know some people who are photogenic, and I'm sure that a lot of the people you know likely also know someone who's photogenic. You'd be surprised how many friends are willing to "help out", specially if they're getting a free profile image for their own Facebook page out of the deal. Don't discount the obvious.

Good luck.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,301 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2017 08:43 |  #11

bobbyz wrote in post #18515156 (external link)
I have free MM account and you don't have to pay anything to send messages to anyone. I do all the time.

They've recently changed their policy on that. You can message friends but not people you don't know. At least on my account is showed that.

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by Sideshot.

Dec 11, 2017 08:59 |  #12

I have never coordinated with models on CL but many other people, a couple of things I have noticed.

CL has no entry barrier, which means you have to filter people. Usually a couple of back and forth emails will filter out flakes, scammers, trash, etc.

Get a disposable email and do not respond to robot inquires "I am interested" "Is this still available". In your ad ask a question or put "respond with____" if it is not there it is a robot or they can even take 30 seconds to read your ad.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,731 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2017 18:26 |  #13

CameraMan wrote in post #18515290 (external link)
They've recently changed their policy on that. You can message friends but not people you don't know. At least on my account is showed that.

First do friend request and then message. Why would you do other way around.:)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,250 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 11, 2017 18:29 |  #14

bobbyz wrote in post #18515691 (external link)
First do friend request and then message. Why would you do other way around.:)

Because a lot of people, myself included do not check friend requests on MM, or at least did not before this change. Which now forces you to clutter your friends list with people that may or may not ever respond to you.

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,301 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2017 21:58 |  #15

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18515692 (external link)
Because a lot of people, myself included do not check friend requests on MM, or at least did not before this change. Which now forces you to clutter your friends list with people that may or may not ever respond to you.

I agree with this 100%. It brings back the HUGE mistake I made several years ago on Facebook friending people because I needed other people to interact with in a game I was playing (Farmville). I gathered about 30+ friends whom I didn't even know. Now that I haven't played the game for several years I still have people on my friends list that I have never met and probably never will. Some are nice and have become great online friends. Others don't pay attention to me and have been unfriended.

Point being, what a pain it has been trying to find those people to unfriend them. I'm sure MM will find a way around that loop hole anyways.

sponsored links

4,669 views & 3 likes for this thread
Building a professional relationship with a model
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.