Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 10 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 11:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D4 or 1DX

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Dec 10, 2017 11:43 |  #1

given the two bodies, with standard extras (batteries, charger etc) with in a couple of hundred dollars (1D more than 5D) whats everyone's choice of purchase?

these are both used but no where near abused...

im liking the improvement in th 5D (over my 5D3) but the 1DX has some added goo over the 5D3 but a cursory look at the IQ specs looks like the 5D4 might be a tad better than the 1DX...

i hope i asked this clearly enough for anyone who happens to read it...

again a CURSORY glance looks something like this

5D4 > 5D3
1DX > 5D3
5D4 = (or so) 1DX

thanks

sponsored links
PJJ205
204 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Dec 10, 2017 12:29 |  #2

What do you shoot the most? Landscape, portraits, or sports?

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Dec 10, 2017 12:48 |  #3

It comes down to megapixels vs FPS and build quality vs more compact body. To me focus speed and accuracy are a draw. Both are great cameras. If you don't need the FPS the 5D4 is a great choice. I just spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica with a 5D4 and a 100-400vII. The performance and the files from the 5D4 were great.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 10, 2017 12:55 |  #4

Ltdave wrote in post #18514722 (external link)
given the two bodies, with standard extras (batteries, charger etc) with in a couple of hundred dollars (1D more than 5D) whats everyone's choice of purchase?

these are both used but no where near abused...

I will be making this same decision for myself within the next year. But I think you may be misled concerning the "going rates" for these cameras on the used market. A 1Dx in good condition can be had for $2,200. I have never seen a used 5D4 for that low of a price.

If you are seriously considering making a purchase, you may want to check around more and get more familiar with the true market prices of these cameras. Check out our forum's classifieds, and Fred Miranda's classified section, as well as completed listings on eBay, Amazon, etc, etc, etc. Used prices here on POTN tend to be higher than they are elsewhere, so keep that in mind. Becoming an educated consumer could save you hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

To answer your original question, I would much rather have a 5D4 than a 1Dx ....... it's far more capable in every way that matters to me. But the 5D4 costs so much more than a 1Dx that when it comes time to buy, I think I will have to settle for the 1Dx.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 10, 2017 12:59 |  #5

bpalermini wrote in post #18514795 (external link)
It comes down to megapixels vs FPS and build quality vs more compact body. To me focus speed and accuracy are a draw. Both are great cameras. If you don't need the FPS the 5D4 is a great choice. I just spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica with a 5D4 and a 100-400vII. The performance and the files from the 5D4 were great.

I agree completely with Bob. The decision is MP vs FPS. I have never needed 30MP. I used to have 10FPS (1D4), and miss it, sometimes. My current action body (80D) has AF quite sufficient to my needs. I'd go with a 1DX, if were considering these two bodies.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the AF systems of each. The 5D3 got the 1DX's AF system. I take that to mean the 5D4 also has better/faster/more programmable AF than the 1DX. Never use either, just speculating.

Tom

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Dec 10, 2017 14:37 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18514803 (external link)
I will be making this same decision for myself within the next year. But I think you may be misled concerning the "going rates" for these cameras on the used market. A 1Dx in good condition can be had for $2,200. I have never seen a used 5D4 for that low of a price.

If you are seriously considering making a purchase, you may want to check around more and get more familiar with the true market prices of these cameras. Check out our forum's classifieds, and Fred Miranda's classified section, as well as completed listings on eBay, Amazon, etc, etc, etc. Used prices here on POTN tend to be higher than they are elsewhere, so keep that in mind. Becoming an educated consumer could save you hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

To answer your original question, I would much rather have a 5D4 than a 1Dx ....... it's far more capable in every way that matters to me. But the 5D4 costs so much more than a 1Dx that when it comes time to buy, I think I will have to settle for the 1Dx.

dont want to reveal my sources for fear of getting "sniped" on a deal but ive never seen a 1DX go for under $3000 unless only by a few hunderd but currently eyeing a 5D4 at $2500...

right now im mostly shooting sports and my 5D3 6fps is adequate but Id like to branch off into something else. portraits arent my first choice of "other" genres though...

i cant shoot a 5D series without a grip because of the ergonomics so i guess that will add a couple of hundred to its overall cost....

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Dec 10, 2017 14:57 |  #7

If you mostly shoot sports I'd say go for the 1Dx but if 7 FPS will work definitely do the newer tech and higher MP of the 5D4.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

James ­ P
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Dec 10, 2017 15:51 |  #8

I love my 1Dx, but I must say that sometimes the weight of it gets to be a bit much. I thought about selling it and getting a 5D IV, but the extra cost and file size have kept me from making the jump. Another thing I can tell you about the 1Dx is it takes amazing pictures, but it is a bit more fiddly to operate since there is no top dial.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Dec 10, 2017 17:04 |  #9

I primarily use a very long lens and AF is the No1 priority for me - especially tracking.

I have tried the 5D4 a few times and am rather impressed and for most uses/users I think it is a better choice so long as the price difference isn't huge! Having said that I didn't feel that the AF was quite as quick as my 1DX and the tracking wasn't quite as good on my main lens. Yes we are splitting hairs here (!) the 5D4 has an excellent AF system but on my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS I found the 1DX to have the edge.

For more general uses I would take the 5D4 in a heartbeat as in most respects it is a "better" camera in my opinion.

Just my 2p.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sploo
premature adulation
2,190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Dec 10, 2017 17:24 |  #10

One other factor to consider is that the 5D4 (along with the 1Dx2 and 80D) introduced a significant improvement in low ISO dynamic range. In simple terms, this means that you can push shadows in a high DR landscape shot much further before they become too noisy. It also gives these bodies a degree of ISO invariance; which simply means that accidentally shooting at too low an ISO setting (and then pushing in post) is less of a problem.

Point being: if you shoot high dynamic range scenes, the 5D4 should be a much better choice. This ignores the other things that the 1Dx is good at, obviously.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,661 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Dec 11, 2017 02:13 |  #11

My main interest is action/sports. I chose the 1DX, then the 1DX Mark II. I've never had any 5D of any kind, but came from a 7D.

Anders

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Dec 17, 2017 10:55 |  #12

I have both the 5D4 and 1DX. For sports, (imho) the 1DX is definitely superior not only for the FPS but the AF locking. I set both cameras up to Case 4 and the 1DX locks almost always by the 2nd image in a sequence after changing focus. Sometimes the 5D4 never locks and I just don't get enough keepers with it. However, it's great for events, landscape and all other uses.

flickrexternal link

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Dec 17, 2017 16:36 |  #13

so the 1DX is only 18 mp? how did that happen?

figured it was at least as much as the 5D3...

the 5D4 i was looking at got snapped up pretty quickly. i guess its back to the looking game...

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Dec 17, 2017 17:18 |  #14

Sports (AF & FPS)? Always at high ISO? Bump things or drop things? 1DX.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Dec 17, 2017 17:26 |  #15

MalVeauX wrote in post #18520380 (external link)
Sports (AF & FPS)? Always at high ISO? Bump things or drop things? 1DX.

Very best,

right now, semi-pro hockey and HS football...

12800 for the football, 3200-4000 for hockey...

not usually...

wondering if the weight is really going to be an issue. a football game with the 5D3 and 70-200 f2.8 gets my back to aching, especially after ive put 12-14 hours at other endeavors....

sponsored links

7,902 views & 63 likes for this thread
5D4 or 1DX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.