Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 10 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 15:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Dell laptop...any opinions?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Perfectly Frank.
Dec 10, 2017 15:20 |  #1

My "every day" laptop is going south, and I need a pc for photo editing. I'm thinking this laptop might be good for photo editing when connected to an external monitor. Specs follow...

New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Series

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Memory 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHZ

512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive (Storage)

Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Display 15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

$1402 after applying coupon.

http://www.dell.com ...15-7577-laptop/dncwfs614h (external link)
(you may need to click on Configurations to see the specs that I listed.

Should be good for LR and PS (will use external monitor).

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by davesrose.
Dec 10, 2017 16:34 |  #2

I recently got a Lenovo with an almost identical setup (it's a thin 2 in 1, so it just has a SSD HD). I'm not having any issues with PS, LR, or even video rendering. Be aware that laptop manufacturers seem to be on the Apple bandwagon of eliminating ports. The typical way of connecting a new laptop to monitor is now getting a USB C to Displayport or HDMI.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 11, 2017 09:58 |  #3

davesrose wrote in post #18514933 (external link)
I recently got a Lenovo with an almost identical setup (it's a thin 2 in 1, so it just has a SSD HD). I'm not having any issues with PS, LR, or even video rendering. Be aware that laptop manufacturers seem to be on the Apple bandwagon of eliminating ports. The typical way of connecting a new laptop to monitor is now getting a USB C to Displayport or HDMI.

Ok, that's good to know.
I'm not up to speed with port technology, but this Dell has USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port that supports DisplayPort, HDMI 2.0, and Thunderbolt 3.

I think for the way it's configured, it has a good price.

For those interested in this laptop, keep in mind this New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Series was announced by Dell in Aug 2017.
It has an improved display and Thunderbolt included. Not to be confused with the older Inspiron 7000 Gaming laptop.

davesrose
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 11, 2017 10:50 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #4

That laptop you're looking at also has a pretty beefy graphics card. A note about port specs and thunderbolt: I've noticed sites will list USB C and thunderbolt seperately, but they are usually the same port (thunderbolt 3 uses USB C). I noticed this when I saw specs on my laptop, which many sites would say USB 3, USB C, Thunderbolt. I have one USB C/thunderbolt port. Since it's a slim 2 in 1, it also is bare bones as far as ports: power port, 2 USB 3, 1 USB C/thunderbolt, and one headphone in. Many models have eliminated HDMI since you can get an adapter or cord that goes to USB C to HDMI. And I think most laptops are having one USB C/thunderbolt port since you're supposed to be able to chain devices.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,880 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 11, 2017 13:28 |  #5

Dell Laptop looks good. You don't need a powerful graphics card, won't hurt but costs money.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 11, 2017 15:30 |  #6

Looks great to me. Wish 13" laptops can come with specs like that. Hopefully, by the time my new Dell XPS 13 needs replacing, I'll have everything I want in a laptop. For now, the 13" frame and 2.7 LBS are a must for me even if performance suffers a bit.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 11, 2017 15:36 |  #7

davesrose wrote in post #18515383 (external link)
That laptop you're looking at also has a pretty beefy graphics card. A note about port specs and thunderbolt: I've noticed sites will list USB C and thunderbolt seperately, but they are usually the same port (thunderbolt 3 uses USB C). I noticed this when I saw specs on my laptop, which many sites would say USB 3, USB C, Thunderbolt. I have one USB C/thunderbolt port. Since it's a slim 2 in 1, it also is bare bones as far as ports: power port, 2 USB 3, 1 USB C/thunderbolt, and one headphone in. Many models have eliminated HDMI since you can get an adapter or cord that goes to USB C to HDMI. And I think most laptops are having one USB C/thunderbolt port since you're supposed to be able to chain devices.

I checked the features page for this laptop and USB C and Thunderbolt are on one physical port. But it does have HDMI 2.0

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 11, 2017 15:48 |  #8

tim wrote in post #18515499 (external link)
Dell Laptop looks good. You don't need a powerful graphics card, won't hurt but costs money.

Right.
Only one graphics card is offered on this laptop. Can't select any thing else during configuration.

Also comes with dual cooling fans. One drawback: the battery is integrated, which could be a problem for some people.

I might bite.

Michael ­ Bartlett
20 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 11, 2017 18:56 |  #9

I'm a Mac guy but my work computer is a Dell. I'll have to say, it's the most stable
PC I've used and would buy a Dell if I needed a Win laptop.

davesrose
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 11, 2017 20:50 |  #10

There can be subtle software compatibility issues with any system, but I'm finding that Windows 10 is a very stable and efficient OS. When it comes to reliability, I think Dell, HP, and Lenovo are all good (I've had Dell and HP mobile workstations and now have a 2 in 1 Lenovo). The only thing I don't like about Windows 10 is how they want to simplify user settings/the control panel. Being more of a power user, I immediately create a shortcut to the classic control panel!

smugmug (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 13, 2017 01:51 |  #11

I've read that one can view PS or LR tools on the laptop display while the entire image is on the external monitor.

Seems like a good benefit of using a laptop For photo editing.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 13, 2017 10:58 |  #12

If anyone is interested, Dell reduced the price on this laptop.
Was $1402, now $1350 for the same spec laptop. Nice!

I'll wait till closer to Christmas to see if it goes lower. ;-)a

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Dec 14, 2017 05:49 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #13

other than the 15.6" size and the extra disk hard drive, it sounds just about like my new 13.3 (13.1?) Dell 2-1...

it was a few hundred less but i was really looking for the slim, smaller size for what i thought was going to be a much more traveled model/need...

ive yet to use it because im so lost with Win10. i need to find out how to make a shortcut to the classic Control Panel...

davesrose
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 14, 2017 09:54 as a reply to Ltdave's post |  #14

It's pretty easy to get a shortcut to the classic control panel. Go to the lower left area of the taskbar, and under "Type here to search" start searching for "control panel". It will come up. You can right click on it and select "pin to start". You can also get more advanced features by right clicking on the windows icon on the lower left taskbar.

smugmug (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 14, 2017 10:25 |  #15

Ltdave wrote in post #18517570 (external link)
other than the 15.6" size and the extra disk hard drive, it sounds just about like my new 13.3 (13.1?) Dell 2-1...

I've looked for a 13.3 Dell with the specs that OP listed but couldn't come up with anything close, particularly on GHz and graphics card. Would you mind sharing what exactly are the specs on your 13.3 laptop?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

855 views & 3 likes for this thread
New Dell laptop...any opinions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.