Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Ring shots (Close up Filter?)

natewarden777
164 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 13, 2017 13:24 |  #1

We just sold our Canon 85mm 1.8 (which we used with a Sony closeup filter to do Macro-like ring shots).
We're considering the following 2 options as it's replacement:

Sigma 85mm Art w/ Close up Filter (Vivitar x1-x4 set)
Tamron 70-200 VC w/ Close up filter (Canon version)

The Canon 550 filter fits the Tamron, but the 85mm is lighter and sharper.
Which would you guys choose? Would the zoom feature make much of a difference?

Thanks!

6D (x3) l 35A l 50L l 50 1.4 EX Sigma l 85A l 70-200VC l 580EX II (x2)
FEEDBACK

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,103 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Dec 13, 2017 14:32 |  #2

natewarden777 wrote in post #18517067 (external link)
Which would you guys choose? Would the zoom feature make much of a difference?

Thanks!

I would choose an extension tube! Closeup filters are made for lenses that cannot be detached from the body.

With a ring about 25mm in diameter (mean size, between a woman's ring and a man's ring) you can fit two rings onto your 36mm wide frame at 1/2 size on the sensor, if using a 31mm tube

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2017 17:23 |  #3

Polaroid do a set of four 58mm filters that's rated 4* by Amateur Photographer magazine. I had a set and lost them (zip on my bag was left open). 2x, 4x and 6x are sharp, but the 10x was a tad (only just) soft. That was both AP and my conclusion. Cheap as chips, annd well worth the cash.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,103 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2017 18:54 |  #4

Colin Glover wrote in post #18517238 (external link)
Polaroid do a set of four 58mm filters that's rated 4* by Amateur Photographer magazine.

The conventional wisdom is that if you have to use close-up filters, find yourself a close-up filter with TWO-ELEMENT optics, not the simply one-lens optics found in almost all commercially available filters. Both Canon and Nikon have offered a two-element close-up filter. The Canon ones come in 52mm, 58mm, and 77mm filter sizes.

From http://www.peachpit.co​m …es/article.aspx​?p=1804858 (external link):

"Double-element close-up lenses. Sometimes called dual-element or achromatic close-up lenses, these lenses have two elements; the second corrects the aberrations of the first. They're more expensive than the single-element version, and not as readily available, but their image quality is excellent. I use a Canon 500D double-element close-up lens with my 85 mm lens, and I can't see a difference in image quality between a photo taken with that combination and one taken with a true macro lens.
Canon makes two double-element close-up lenses—the 250D (+4 diopter) and the 500D (+2 diopter). Nikon made the 3T, 4T, 5T, and 6T double-element lenses, but they've been discontinued (sometimes you can find them on eBay). Schneider also makes double-element close-up lenses, but at a price. Olympus makes the MCON 35, which appears to be discontinued but is still available on eBay."

...and as used products from retailers such as Adorama

https://www.adorama.co​m …c0yWicv48GBBoCc​-8QAvD_BwE (external link)

Double-element accessory attaches to front of lens, and the Canon 500D changes closest focusing distance from infinity to 500mm (approx. 19.7") from front of lens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 14, 2017 12:28 |  #5

Macro lenses are awesome for this, and some portraits, but expensive. Otherwise I use extension tubes.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

natewarden777
THREAD ­ STARTER
164 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 14, 2017 13:16 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #6

Which extension tube set are you all using?
Do extension tubes degrade image quality less than close up filters?

6D (x3) l 35A l 50L l 50 1.4 EX Sigma l 85A l 70-200VC l 580EX II (x2)
FEEDBACK

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 14, 2017 17:13 |  #7

AFAIK, tubes don't have glass in them to degrade image quality, but as you are in effect varying the length between the rear element and the sensor, I can't say 100% that quality wont suffer. Maybe someone who knows a bit more can clarify or dimiss what I'm saying.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
9,938 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 20, 2017 09:28 |  #8

Just save yourself a lot of aggrivation and go buy a Macro and work it into your routine

This is straight off the camera with a 100L

Macros are a no brainer for wedding photogs

Canon has the 100Ls on sale right now. My 8 yrs old sigma broke and fell apart so I went out Friday and got a new one. Ring shots are a snap with macros. The beauty of the canon L is you can leave it in the Full position at the switches and it doubles as a 100MM F/2.8 prime. It works very well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,495 views & 1 like for this thread
Wedding Ring shots (Close up Filter?)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.