Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 15 Dec 2017 (Friday) 02:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dell XPS 15 - Latest Version

strikerstu
Joined Aug 2006
Leicester, England
Dec 15, 2017 02:26 |  #1

Morning all,

I need to buy a new laptop and retire my old Samsung, the one that looked capable was the latest version of the Dell XPS 15. Spec would be Full HD version, 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz) 16GB Ram and 512 SSD.

Has anybody used this for LR and Photoshop, good or bad, any thoughts or other recommendations, please don't say Mac as I'm not interested as it must integrate with my PC network at home.
Last thing is it must not have a glossy screen.

http://www.dell.com ...s-15-9560-laptop/cnx95606 (external link)

Thanks in advance

Stuart

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,880 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 16, 2017 01:11 |  #2

Yep looks good. Check it has the ports you need - USB3, HDMI, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

strikerstu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2006
Leicester, England
Dec 16, 2017 06:45 as a reply to tim's post |  #3

Thanks Tim, spec is great yes, ports are not an issue, so all good there.

Some negative reports around regarding, screen flicker. It would be good to get feed back from actual users.

Stu

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Dec 16, 2017 07:21 |  #4

strikerstu wrote in post #18519087 (external link)
Thanks Tim, spec is great yes, ports are not an issue, so all good there.

Some negative reports around regarding, screen flicker. It would be good to get feed back from actual users.

Stu

The specs for your machine say it comes with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 video card. That is a premium level graphics card designed for gaming. Take that into account when you are reading about screen flicker as many reviews may be on machines with a lesser card.

Once you get your laptop, you might want to review the content (multiple pages) at https://www.pcworld.co​m ...get-gaming-champions.html (external link). PC World magazine really put it to a test late last year.

strikerstu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2006
Leicester, England
Dec 16, 2017 08:43 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

Hi John, lnteresting article, thanks. The flicker I've read about and seen on videos is nothing to do with lag etc, but more the screen turns off for a split second looking like a barccode with black and white stripes running vertically. Most reports say it is more on 4k version.

From what I've read the laptop can game but not at high resolution settings as it is a very thin laptop with low power output so would get very hot very qucik.

Stu

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 16, 2017 16:39 |  #6

strikerstu wrote in post #18519138 (external link)
Hi John, lnteresting article, thanks. The flicker I've read about and seen on videos is nothing to do with lag etc, but more the screen turns off for a split second looking like a barccode with black and white stripes running vertically. Most reports say it is more on 4k version.

From what I've read the laptop can game but not at high resolution settings as it is a very thin laptop with low power output so would get very hot very qucik.

Stu

Somewhere when I was considering almost the same laptop, I found comments very similar to what you have stated (and I've changed to bold). However the comments I saw related to the vertical bars appearing on an external 4K monitor, not the "native" display of the laptop. I also recall that there were some recommendations to change the refresh rate and that usually cleared up the issue.

If you plan on an external 4K monitor, investigate what the refresh rate capability may be. Low end 4K monitors are often 30 Hz refresh, and the mid range better units are 60 Hz. Top end gaming type monitors can be up to 144 Hz. In my experience 30 Hz is just barely "OK." The mouse pointer tends to be jerky and sometimes the screen is as well. There is vast improvement on the 60 Hz monitors and anything above 60 Hz is a bonus. If you aren't yet moving to an external 4K monitor, once you get things cranked up verify that the laptop display drivers are up to date to insure a good experience.

By the way, just as an FYI, that machine is exactly the same price numerically in the States; in other words US$1599 but Dell throws in a touch screen.

juliusmagno08
20 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 20, 2017 20:29 |  #7

i would recommend dell xps 15! great laptop for its value.

BostonBay
Joined Aug 2014
On a small lake in Western Illinois
Dec 26, 2017 20:26 |  #8

My wife bought one for me for Christmas. She said, "hey, let's go to the store and get a little something for your photography." I thought she meant a tripod or lens. She tells me to drive to a locale computer store. Once in the store, she said, "OK Hun, pick out any laptop you want!" At first I picked out a less expensive version, but she saw the 4k version and said, "Hey, let's get this one instead."

Yes, it was pricey; I think $1200 US or so, but this is a seriously nice laptop.

I am a computer programmer by profession, and so really do not like the chicklet-style keyboard, but everything else about this laptop is fantastic.

I use ACDsee for photo management and manipulation. It is blazingly fast and the display blows away my ASUS 2k. The display folds completely over and becomes a tablet. Touch response is crisp and nice.

Can't say enough good things about this laptop.

One note about Windows, when opening and closing files, files are not always closed 'cleanly.' For example, When in ACDsee, After extracting photos from a ZIP file, I can't delete it because ACDsee thinks something has the file open. A restart of ACDsee is necessary. That has nothing to do with the laptop or ACDsee, it's a Windows 10 problem. I have similar problems on my work computers.

Hope that helps!
-Ken

Just a noob with a Rebel T3 (1100D).
www.ruralruins.com (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 26, 2017 23:54 |  #9

BostonBay wrote in post #18526818 (external link)
My wife bought one for me for Christmas. She said, "hey, let's go to the store and get a little something for your photography." I thought she meant a tripod or lens. She tells me to drive to a locale computer store. Once in the store, she said, "OK Hun, pick out any laptop you want!" At first I picked out a less expensive version, but she saw the 4k version and said, "Hey, let's get this one instead."

Yes, it was pricey; I think $1200 US or so, but this is a seriously nice laptop.

You have a pretty nice wife.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 27, 2017 08:58 |  #10

BostonBay wrote in post #18526818 (external link)
One note about Windows, when opening and closing files, files are not always closed 'cleanly.' For example, When in ACDsee, After extracting photos from a ZIP file, I can't delete it because ACDsee thinks something has the file open. A restart of ACDsee is necessary. That has nothing to do with the laptop or ACDsee, it's a Windows 10 problem. I have similar problems on my work computers.

Not sure that's a Windows "problem". Windows won't close an application until all its tasks are complete, nor will it delete a file if it sees it as being in use. An application that is extracting photos from a zip is using that resource, so Windows is seeing that file as being used. It's up to the application to create a copy of separate photos and detach its resources from the original zip file. As far as being "clean", it's also a good idea to check and see what programs are started during start-up. A lot of unused processes going in the background will reduce overall performance. Most Windows optimizing programs will include a feature for checking and disabling programs that load during startup.

When it comes to an OS, I am enjoying Windows 10. It seems just as stable as Windows 7, and it offers more support for newer technologies (like wireless screen mirroring or scaling for 4K resolutions). The only thing I don't like is that the general settings screen is too user friendly, and takes awhile to find more advanced system properties. I've created a shortcut to the classic Control Panel.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

536 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dell XPS 15 - Latest Version
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.