Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Dec 2017 (Friday) 15:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning Up a Scan - C&C/Feedback Welcomed

heldGaze
519 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by heldGaze. (3 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2017 15:20 |  #1

So my MIL gave me an old photo of my lady & her brother when they were little. I scanned it, and then did a bit of work in PS, a bunch of spot healing brush to get rid of scratches & stains, then flattened the image via a smart object on which I then created a few layers for increasing contrast & density, lightening it, ran some filters to increase local contrast, exposure, play with shadows & highlights, blacks & whites, dehaze, color balance, etc.

This is where I'm at so far, and am more than happy to hear any advice/feedback y'all have. Did I push anything too far, not enough? Should I try anything else to improve the final result. The intention was to put this on a coffee mug for Christmas, but since I'm fixing up an old photo I figured I may as well get a new print for her as well. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Here is the edited image as it is at the moment, after my first pass.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Lori/Candice%20&%20John.jpg

Here is the original image as scanned, cropped & resized for web (no output sharpening on this one, though I did do output sharpening on the edit).

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Lori/Candice%20&%20John%20-%20unedited%20scan%20cropped.jpg

One additional edit I am considering is putting a layer mask to only effect the ground, especially in the dark part of the ground to the left, and run a despeckle filter on that. I don't want to lose the sharpness in their faces, but that noise in the dark wall on the left is too much to clear up with just a spot healing brush.

EDIT: Well, I actually did the despeckle on the dark ground to the left of the chair already and updated the image on the server as I have a couple of friends looking at it too, with the same links.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,068 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 15, 2017 15:26 |  #2

You can probably crop some of that stuff on the left out. In fact, I think you could crop the whole thing a little tighter. A good noise reduction program shouldn't effect their face detail, I know mine doesn't.

I know......getting rid of all of the little specks on old pictures is a pain in the butt. At least with the content aware you can just click away at them....goes pretty fast.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 15, 2017 15:31 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18518780 (external link)
You can probably crop some of that stuff on the left out. In fact, I think you could crop the whole thing a little tighter. A good noise reduction program shouldn't effect their face detail, I know mine doesn't.

I know......getting rid of all of the little specks on old pictures is a pain in the butt. At least with the content aware you can just click away at them....goes pretty fast.

Yeah, my thought though was to not modify the composition too much, I tried to only crop the edges where the scan wasn't perfectly straight and remove as little of the original photo as possible. Now that you suggest it though I may play with a couple crops and see what it looks like after I finish the other edits.

What are you using for noise reduction?

Thanks!

C&C Always Appreciated

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,068 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 15, 2017 15:35 |  #4

Noiseware http://imagenomic.com/​Products/Noiseware (external link)

Works great and great folks to talk to if you have any questions.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 15, 2017 18:03 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #5

I think you're right about cropping it. Why should I be stuck in whatever composition was used by whoever the photographer was back then? While I certainly think this improves the image, by cutting out parts that aren't the subject (the kids), I could see them wanting to see more of the grandmother's home back then, but it's not like there was a lot of the room in the shot to begin with and you can still see chair & curtain, so... in general I like that you broke me out of the box of thinking I should keep the composition of the original scan.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Lori/Candice%20&%20John%20-%20cropped.jpg

Side note, it's pretty easy to do a somewhat decent job of digitally restoring old prints that are not in a terrible condition. This has piqued my interest in learning more about digital restoration and its techniques.

C&C Always Appreciated

Ramon-uk
599 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2017 07:33 |  #6

I think I would reduce the purple and slightly increase clarity, as below:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 21, 2017 10:56 |  #7

Elements even has a guided edit for restoring old photos.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
5,920 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Archibald.

Dec 21, 2017 11:10 |  #8

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18523144 (external link)
I think I would reduce the purple and slightly increase clarity, as below:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ramon-uk in
./showthread.php?p=185​23144&i=i162368225
forum: People

This one looks a bit green to me, and the shadows have gone green. But the original does look slightly magenta. Slightly. Will obviously depend on your monitor and its calibration, so I am not the last word.

I would just tip it a bit to the left since it does not look level to me.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

768 views & 4 likes for this thread
Cleaning Up a Scan - C&C/Feedback Welcomed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.