Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 15 Dec 2017 (Friday) 15:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

traveling with excess gear

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Dec 15, 2017 15:35 |  #1

when i travel, i carry my 5d3, 50 f1.4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 1.4x, 600ex-rt, 3st flash control thing, extra batteries for all, chargers, phone charger, card reader, earplugs, lens wipes, 1" gaffer tape, and some other little stuff in a domke f-2 or f-7 af double. this is is all carry-on luggage so its relatively safe...

how do you shooters take your big lenses like the 300 f2.8 or any version of a 400 or 500 lens? even in the hard case, who would want to trust putting it into checked baggage?

with my carry-on bag, and camera gear, i wouldnt be able to schlep a hard cased 400 with me...

not that i own a 400 or 500 (1st world problems, i know), i was just curious when i was perusing the for sale section and looked at the big lenses and their cases...

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,984 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bassat.
Dec 15, 2017 15:39 |  #2

My travel phone is a Samsung somethingorother cell phone. I ain't lugging a suitcase full of gear NOWHERE. It's been years since I left the house with more than 1 body and 2 lenses. Vacation==cell phone.

Tom

soeren
64 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Dec 15, 2017 15:55 |  #3

Never used more than 3 primes, in the old days 28, 50 and 135 zuiko, then 24(25), 50 and 105 f-mount and now 12, 24 and 60mm e-mount. I like to keep things light and easy to take along

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Dec 15, 2017 18:25 |  #4

My 400 and whatever I can fit goes into my Think Tank Airport Security and everything else is in my sling bag. All carry ons. As for clothes, i'll buy them at the destination or they go with my wife/assistant.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Post has been edited 1 month ago by ShadowHillsPhoto.
Dec 15, 2017 18:53 |  #5

Gura Gear Bataflae 32, and it travels as carry-on. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm letting baggage handlers within a country mile of my camera gear. Lens line up changes as needed, but just to give you an idea here's what's sitting in it right now:

600mm f4 IS II, 1.4x III, and ThinkTank Hydrophobia rain cover on one side.

On the other side is a 1DXII and a spare battery, 100-400mm IS II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 16-35mm f2.8 II, Sigma 50mm 1.4A, 2x III, 12mm and 25mm extension tubes, and a rocket blower.

All the hoods are with their lenses, if I stack the hoods and put them in my checked bag I can make enough room for another modestly sized lens or a Speedlite. Then there's still plenty of room for accessories in the various pockets, although you don't want to put anything too bulky in those or you may exceed carry-on dimensions.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 17, 2017 12:49 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18518798 (external link)
My travel phone is a Samsung somethingorother cell phone. I ain't lugging a suitcase full of gear NOWHERE. It's been years since I left the house with more than 1 body and 2 lenses. Vacation==cell phone.

What do you do when the sole purpose of the trip is photography?

For some of us the only reason we travel is to take photos. A cell phone would not provide the results we are looking for.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,984 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 17, 2017 13:01 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18520196 (external link)

For some of us the only reason we travel is to take photos. A cell phone would not provide the results we are looking for.

I get that. For me, if the only reason I were traveling were photography, I'd stay home.

Tom

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 17, 2017 13:47 |  #8

Ltdave wrote in post #18518787 (external link)
when i travel, i carry my 5d3, 50 f1.4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 1.4x, 600ex-rt, 3st flash control thing, extra batteries for all, chargers, phone charger, card reader, earplugs, lens wipes, 1" gaffer tape, and some other little stuff in a domke f-2 or f-7 af double. this is is all carry-on luggage so its relatively safe...

how do you shooters take your big lenses like the 300 f2.8 or any version of a 400 or 500 lens? even in the hard case, who would want to trust putting it into checked baggage?

with my carry-on bag, and camera gear, i wouldnt be able to schlep a hard cased 400 with me...

not that i own a 400 or 500 (1st world problems, i know), i was just curious when i was perusing the for sale section and looked at the big lenses and their cases...

When I fly with costly electronics (be it camera gear or audio gear), I use the smallest Pelican hard case I can, and I take it onboard with me. If it were too big for me to take onboard, I'd put it in a bigger Pelican case (or equivalent) and gamble that it shows up with the plane. I wouldn't want to advertise what's in the case by using the stock hard case for the Canon super telephotos.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 17, 2017 14:20 |  #9

It's one of the reasons I never bought a 500mm. If I had one, I would want to take it to my travel destinations. And of course I wouldn't want it in checked luggage.

I travel carry-on only. My main photo gear, including 7D2 and 100-400II together with laptop and a fair bit of other stuff goes into the laptop bag. Less-critical stuff like flashes, chargers and lens hoods go in the roll-a-board, together with clothes, etc.

If I had a 500mm, it would have to go into the roll-a-board, displacing a lot of other stuff. The other stuff would then have to go into checked luggage. Not the end of the world, but it increases the chances of theft and lost luggage. If I was committed, that's what I would have done.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,527 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 18, 2017 08:19 |  #10

I don't have a big lens like the 500. I'd have to review how to take it if I had it. A high end hard case. People take that kind of gear to places like Africa.

I have two camera bags, one large and one small which are both carry on legal size. When we have a home base I take my 5D4, 7D2, 100-400 and 24-70 as primaries. Then I decide on other lenses. Sometimes we travel standby and move around a lot so we travel light. All carry on including cloths. When we went to Thailand in February and i only took my 7D2, 18-55 and 55-250 STM lenses which I specifically purchased for light travel. When I go to really humid climates I prefer to take my throw away STM lenses.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,440 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 18, 2017 12:08 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18520196 (external link)

I would make sure that, as a pro, my equipment is fully ensured against damage and theft in a policy worthy of a business, and that it travels in cases that do not look like they scream "I contain expensive photo equipment, Steal ME!" but that essential things (one body, a few lenses) travel with me as carry-on in the event that a checked baggage theft ring is operating at an airport that I will be travelling thru!

Pelican cases protect from case crushing, water intrusion, and shock damage (falls) but scream 'Steal me!'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Dec 18, 2017 12:17 |  #12

Ltdave wrote in post #18518787 (external link)

how do you shooters take your big lenses like the 300 f2.8 or any version of a 400 or 500 lens? even in the hard case, who would want to trust putting it into checked baggage?......

I wrap my gear in t-shirts, socks and boxers, and pack it all in a standard rolling suitcase. The 500mm gets strapped to the rails for the collapsible top handle with stretchy "bungie-like" Optech neck straps :)

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​432034
http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=15​800211

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.
Dec 18, 2017 13:03 |  #13

So often, when people talk about "travel", they are referring to traveling via airplane.

I travel a lot (but not overseas). . But I don't fly - I drive.

One of the main reasons that I drive around the country, instead of flying, is because of the need to transport all of the photography gear. . Air travel isn't at all practical for me because there is no way to take all of the stuff I need on a commercial airline flight. . When I travel, I typically take:

Two camera bodies.

Four lenses, including two huge ones:
. . - 300-800mm f5.6
. . - 400mm f2.8
. . - 100-400mm
. . - 23-105mm

Tripod, Wimberley gimbal head, ballhead

Computer - 27" iMac, along with keypad, mouse, extension cord, surge strip, and card reader

XL bean bag (stuffed with heavy winter socks)

Chest waders

Clothing:
. . - heavy winter coat
. . - waterproof camo insulated parka
. . - heavy waterproof camo insulated pants
. . - boots for extreme cold
. . - boots for regular weather
. . - street shoes
. . - shirts, pants, long johns, socks, etc
. . - gloves and hats for regular cold
. . - gloves and hats for extreme cold

Camping gear:
. . - 7' by 9' tent
. . - 3 layers of foam sleeping pads
. . - zero degree sleeping bag
. . - blanket (for when the 0 degree bag isn't enough on its own)
. . - single burner camp stove w/ 4 butane fuel canisters
. . - coffee perculator
. . - two thermoses
. . - insulated mug
. . - plate, bowl, fork, spoon, can opener, water bottles, etc

Photo blind, or blind-making materials for impromptu blind construction

ALL of this stuff is necessary for many of my ventures, yet there is no way I could ever travel like this via airline.

Plus, when you take an airline, the flight gets you to somewhere kinda near your destination, but then you still have to rent a car, which is a ridiculous expense. . And you also usually need to stay at some kind of hotel or lodge because you couldn't bring your camping gear with you - another ridiculous expense. . I mean, if you need to keep your photography ventures at, say, $40 or $50 a day, total, how the heck do you do that if you fly to your destination???

So I guess I'll bring myself back to the title of this thread - TRAVELING WITH EXCESS GEAR. . I don't travel with excess gear, because I use all of the stuff I bring, and therefore none of it is "excess". . If I didn't need it, I wouldn't bring it. . Every bit of the gear gets used, and contributes to my ability to get all of the photos that I want to get (the one exception is the ballhead, which I bring as a backup in case the Wimberley fails).

The way to travel with all of the necessary gear is to drive your own vehicle from your home to the photo destination. . Even if the destination is 3,000 miles away, it still works out to be more cost-effective to drive your own car, provided it is a car that gets good gas mileage. . Plus, you will have all of the things you need when you arrive at your photo spot, instead of having to do without some things. . Doing without some things invariably keeps you from getting some of the images that you could have captured, had you been fully equipped.

I drive a little Toyota Corolla, a compact car, and all of the aforementioned gear fits with plenty of room to spare. .The Corolla gets 35-36 miles per gallon, which I think is good, but not great. . The only factor I considered when choosing a car was how it would perform on photography trips, on a cost analysis basis.

So lets not overlook driving as a viable means of cross-continental travel. . It is especially practical for those who use a lot of gear when on photo ventures. . And it is also especially practical for those who value saving money more than they value saving time. . But it is amazing how quickly you can drive from one side of the continent to the other, so it really doesn't even take as much extra time as one may think.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 18, 2017 13:38 |  #14

Tom, it has been pointed out several times in other threads that we are all different, we have different wants and needs.

Most of us drive to photography destinations at times. When driving, we have the great advantage that we can put huge amounts of stuff in the car.

But at other times, many of us fly to destinations. That forces us to take the minimum of gear that still allows us to have fun and do neat photography at the destination. Because of the need to travel light when flying, and because it is not always easy to figure out the best way to do this, it is definitely an issue that is worth discussing.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.
Dec 18, 2017 13:45 |  #15

Archibald wrote in post #18521005 (external link)
Because of the need to travel light when flying, and because it is not always easy to figure out the best way to do this, it is definitely an issue that is worth discussing.

Right, of course.

Driving and flying are both means of traveling with photo gear, hence both should be equally discussed here in this thread. . A lot has been said already about flying with photo gear, so I am trying to provide some balance to the discussion by providing some insight about driving with photo gear.

sponsored links

3,315 views & 9 likes for this thread
traveling with excess gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.