Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 17 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 08:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lexar CF card

00derek
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 17, 2017 08:40 |  #1

I recently purchased a Canon 5D MkIV, and a Lexar 64GB CF card. Set the camera to record jpgs to the CF and RAW to the SD card.

Took about 150 shots at the LA Auto show last week, and had problems with image playback; "cannot playback image" appeared for every shot I tried to view. Staying calm, I turned off the camera popped both cards out, inserted again, turned on camera and I could view the images. All good.

last night, same thing happened with the CF card; "cannot playback image". But now a "camera reboot" doesn't help.

I have the RAW files saved so I have the shots, but this could be disaster later.

I bought the Lexar after reading this; https://alikgriffin.co​m ...for-the-canon-5d-mark-iv/ (external link)

Is anyone having issues with Lexar on the MkIV? This is my first time using a CF; are there any special handling tips I need that I might not have heard of, having used only SD up to now?

cheers

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 17, 2017 13:19 |  #2

Did you do an in camera low level format on both cards prior to use? If you haven't tried to off laod any valuable images and then do a low level format, in camera and then retest. There isn't any inherent reason why the cards should not work unless you got counterfeit cards (more likely on SD than CF). I assume you purchased from a reputable source?

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 17, 2017 14:15 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

I'm pretty sure I formatted both cards in the camera when I got them; low-level format is possible only on the SD card, not CF.

I formatted again anyway, and we'll see. CF is recording and playing back images as normal.

Purchased from independent sellers via Amazon.

The CF card came with a code to download Lexar recovery software. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen but it didn't change any images from unreadable to readable in windows explorer.

Is it to be expected that the CF will be slower to read/write than the SD? here are their specs;

SD SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95 MB/s UHS-I/U3 SDXC class 10

CF Lexar 64GB VPG-65 160MB/s

Thanks!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 17, 2017 19:47 |  #4

00derek wrote in post #18520257 (external link)
Is it to be expected that the CF will be slower to read/write than the SD? here are their specs;

SD SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95 MB/s UHS-I/U3 SDXC class 10

CF Lexar 64GB VPG-65 160MB/s

Thanks!

I think you will find it faster to write RAW to the CF and JPEG's to the SD card which is opposite what you are doing according to your original post. You might also check your manual as to which card controls on the 5DIV. I think that in the 5DIII, the last card inserted set the bus speed. I may be wrong as I don't have a 5DIII but I seem to remember something like that.

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 20, 2017 19:06 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #18520482 (external link)
I think you will find it faster to write RAW to the CF and JPEG's to the SD card which is opposite what you are doing according to your original post. You might also check your manual as to which card controls on the 5DIV. I think that in the 5DIII, the last card inserted set the bus speed. I may be wrong as I don't have a 5DIII but I seem to remember something like that.

Well, from what I read before I started the CF should be faster, so I started out saving RAW to the CF. I tried a few burst shots of 5 or 7 frames in quick succession and the card access lamp stayed lit for, I'm not kidding, 15-20 minutes, during which time I couldn't take any pictures. I was quite concerned that something was wrong - I was trying out these fast cards in my new camera for the first time and I have to wait 15 minutes?!!

So I switched it around and am saving RAW to the SD; minimal delays between burst shots.

If it is truly faster to write the RAW to the CF, what am I doing wrong?

Also, there's nothing in the manual about write speed versus the card type inserted last.

Thanks

RMyers
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Dec 20, 2017 19:27 |  #6

Sounds to me like your CF card is not good. Hopefully not a fake one.

I have a new 5d4 and today did some testing. Sandisk CF and SD, both Extreme Pro versions, 64GB size. I was able to get 28 shots on continuous high before it buffer, writing RAW to both cards at the same time. I had the camera in manual, 1/1000th, ISO 100, random f-stop. Just so it wasn't making many exposure decisions while shooting.

I'd try similar settings with just the CF card in, then the SD card and see what you get. That's shooting RAW. That will give you an idea which card is faster.

Based on your comments before about the playback errors and the slowness, it just seems like something isn't right with that CF card.

Rusty
Austin, TX

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 21, 2017 07:35 as a reply to RMyers's post |  #7

Thank you very much. I will try the same test.

CF card was purchased on Amazon, but from a third-party seller. Hopefully I still have the packaging; it's not too late to return it.

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 21, 2017 07:45 |  #8

RMyers wrote in post #18522914 (external link)
Sounds to me like your CF card is not good. Hopefully not a fake one.

I have a new 5d4 and today did some testing. Sandisk CF and SD, both Extreme Pro versions, 64GB size. I was able to get 28 shots on continuous high before it buffer, writing RAW to both cards at the same time. I had the camera in manual, 1/1000th, ISO 100, random f-stop. Just so it wasn't making many exposure decisions while shooting.

I'd try similar settings with just the CF card in, then the SD card and see what you get. That's shooting RAW. That will give you an idea which card is faster.

Based on your comments before about the playback errors and the slowness, it just seems like something isn't right with that CF card.

After the 28th shot, how long did the access lamp stay on? This is when it's writing to the cards.

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 21, 2017 08:04 as a reply to RMyers's post |  #9

So, I just did the same test as RMyers; manual focus, manual mode, 1/125th, ISO100, f2.8. Writing RAW separately to both SD and CF, 64MB cards.

Got 20 shots before the buffer.

And now here's the problem; it took 10-15 minutes to write them to the card.

I guess I'll try a different card and send the Lexar back if a new one works.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 21, 2017 14:40 |  #10

00derek wrote in post #18523152 (external link)

Go get a new card at Best Buy. Because they buy their cards in such large quantities, they get them direct from the OEM, no middleman. Sandisk and Lexar are the two most frequently counterfeited cards so it pays to know your source. eBay is not a place to get cards. Amazon maybe but good reliable sources like Adorama and B&H are also good.

By the way, where did you buy the questionable card?

cristphoto
817 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 21, 2017 14:45 |  #11

00derek wrote in post #18523152 (external link)
So, I just did the same test as RMyers; manual focus, manual mode, 1/125th, ISO100, f2.8. Writing RAW separately to both SD and CF, 64MB cards.

Got 20 shots before the buffer.

And now here's the problem; it took 10-15 minutes to write them to the card.

Is it a Lexar Professional 1066x speed card? I use these in my 5D4 and when I test them (manual mode, 1/2000 shutter, manual AF) I consistently get 35 raw shots before the first indication of slowdown. Then it only takes 3 seconds (approx.) for the red writing to card light goes out.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 21, 2017 14:59 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #12

Makes sense. I bought it on Amazon from a third-party seller.

I still have the packaging so I'm returning it; BTW if it's a fake then it's a very good one - the packaging looks like the real deal.

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 21, 2017 14:59 as a reply to cristphoto's post |  #13

Yes, Lexar 1066x, 130 MB/s. returning it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 25 days ago by John from PA.
Dec 21, 2017 18:26 |  #14

00derek wrote in post #18523519 (external link)
Makes sense. I bought it on Amazon from a third-party seller.

I still have the packaging so I'm returning it; BTW if it's a fake then it's a very good one - the packaging looks like the real deal.

Although the link is about Sandisk CF's, Lexar is not immune. Check https://damien.douxcha​mps.net/photo/fake-cf/ (external link)

00derek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2012
Mesa, AZ
Dec 22, 2017 21:00 |  #15

Ok, Lexar has been returned. Sandisk Extreme Pro 160 MB/s has been delivered.

Speed is impressive; 30 shots in 4 seconds, and the write time is about 5 seconds.

Thanks everyone; I would have arrived here eventually but you all got me here sooner.

Happy Christmas!

sponsored links

450 views & 1 like for this thread
Lexar CF card
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.