Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are the benefits of upgrading from Lightroom v.5.7 to 6???

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,051 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by philmar.

Dec 17, 2017 13:45 |  #1

I currently use Lightroom 5.7 with a Canon 5D3. I am not a gearhead so I don't have plans to buy a new camera though I realize my 5 year old camera could use a refresh. For me, photography is a passion. While I earn a few thousand dollars a year on Getty Images, my decisions about photography are based on it as a hobby, not a critical source of income. I have just returned from a trip to Myanmar and am only now reading about Adobe's decision to stop supporting the stand alone version of LR. I have zero interest in the subscription version as I fully expect Adobe to dramatically increase the monthly rate once they've enticed enough people to subscribe and load their raw files on to their servers.
LR 5.7 seems to suit my needs but I see Adobe has one final upgrade available to me: LR 6. At the time of its release it didn't seem too tempting of an upgrade for me...I was thinking of waiting for LR 7 (which will never be). So i am wondering if I should do this last upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR 6 before Adobe takes that option away.
Are there any benefits to upgrading from 5.7 to 6.0? I've heard performance speeds up for some, slows down for others.
So here is what my PC runs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Lightroom v. 5.7, CPU: i7-3770K with 32 GB of RAM and graphics card Radeon RX 460 with OpenGL® Version 6.14.10.13497 and OpenCL™ Version 23
Are there any upgrade benefits and cons for me going from LR 5.7 to 6 ??? Are there any upgrade pitfalls? Does LR 6 still use the Process 2012 engine conversion? Any new or improved tools that aren't in v.5.7? I've read some people have been able to unlock the Dehaze tool in LR 6 using presets. Any other big picture things I need to consider like LR 6 not working on a future Windows version (like W 11)?

POSTSCRIPT: I have and use Photomatix Pro HDR and Canon PhotoStitch

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,513 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 17, 2017 14:22 |  #2

Access to raw files generated by the 80D worked for me. My guess is you'll need LR6 if you move to the 5D4.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
5,926 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 17, 2017 14:32 |  #3

I also have LR 5.7. I don't see any reason to upgrade for now. If I get a new camera body not supported by 5.7, then there would be a reason.

But what the world needs is a plugin for LR 5 to handle those new .CR2 file imports.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,513 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 17, 2017 14:45 |  #4

Archibald wrote in post #18520270 (external link)
I also have LR 5.7. I don't see any reason to upgrade for now. If I get a new camera body not supported by 5.7, then there would be a reason.

But what the world needs is a plugin for LR 5 to handle those new .CR2 file imports.

DNG Converter is one way to go. At least it is free. I tried it; it was too inconvenient for me.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

GammyKnee
137 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited 4 months ago by GammyKnee. (3 edits in all)

Dec 17, 2017 16:05 |  #5

I've now moved on from LR but at the time I did find V6 a worthwhile upgrade from v5.

- The ability to use the erase brush on gradient tools is good
- The transform tools for automatic leveling and so on are pretty good
- Really nice new tool for taking selected adjustments from one shot and quickly applying them to multiple other shots; big time-saver, well implemented!
- The inbuilt HDR blending is surprisingly good and can yield a very natural result if you stay away from the auto-tone option (or whatever it's called)

There may have been other tweaks but those are the ones that stick in my mind. Performance-wise I didn't see any notable changes (some things maybe a little faster, others maybe a little slower), but some annoying bugs in v5 were either eliminated or at least reduced in frequency. And yep, LR6 is process 2012 by default.

Edit: To get somewhat coarse access to dehaze go here: https://www.proloststo​re.com/products/dehaze (external link) (it's free)

TBH I never found dehaze useful, but maybe if I'd had full access to the controls rather than using the above presets I might have liked it more.

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: 5D II & IV, assorted lenses, Canon & Yongnuo flash

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,051 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by philmar.

Dec 18, 2017 15:30 |  #6

GammyKnee wrote in post #18520347 (external link)
I've now moved on from LR but at the time I did find V6 a worthwhile upgrade from v5.

There may have been other tweaks but those are the ones that stick in my mind. Performance-wise I didn't see any notable changes (some things maybe a little faster, others maybe a little slower), but some annoying bugs in v5 were either eliminated or at least reduced in frequency. And yep, LR6 is process 2012 by default.

Thanks...the feature upgrades seem inconsequential to me (I do few panos and use Photomatix for HDR). My biggest hope was that LR 6 processing engine was faster than 5.7 but this seems to be a debatable point. I was hoping there was an improved process version to adjust and render photos.
I don't have the best GPU so I am hesitant to upgrade if my system is one of the ones that experiences slow downs with LR 6.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,071 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Scott M. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 08:19 |  #7

I recently upgraded from LR 5.7 to LR 6, after Adobe's announcement to no longer offer a perpetual license for Lightroom and instead force all customers into a subscription model. I did it mainly to buy myself time in evaluating replacements for LR and being concerned that the upgrade offer for LR 6 would be pulled by Adobe, as I will probably be buying a Canon EOS M5 body at some point, which I do not believe is supported in LR 5.7. From a purely application feature standpoint, though, the additions to LR 6 from 5.7 are minimal and not worth the upgrade cost, IMO. Comparing performance of 5.7 to 6 is difficult for me, as I also upgraded my PC around the same time as upgrading Lightroom.

After playing with DxO Optics Pro for awhile, though, I wish I would have just put that $80 towards their new Photo Lab product. I am leaning heavily towards that program being my eventual replacement for Lightroom.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,845 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 19, 2017 10:06 |  #8

I wouldn't do it. Today was LR6's last update which included all the latest camera and lens releases. Not any of the new features. So if you upgrade and get a new camera in 2018 you will have to convert to DNG.

LR5 will not support support the M5. LR5 updates stopped in 2016 when LR6 came out. You will need to convert to DNG or find different software if that does not work for you.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by digital paradise.

Dec 19, 2017 10:43 |  #9

I should add. I was basing that on future new camera acquisitions. If you don't plan to get a new camera for a few years than it might be depending on your needs. I like having the latest software so others can answer that part.

As an example I would have hated to spend the money, the rumoured 7D3 comes out in March and have to convert to DNG. I did not like it for the short time I tried it.

Image Editing OK

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,051 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2017 16:11 |  #10

Scott M wrote in post #18521599 (external link)
I recently upgraded from LR 5.7 to LR 6, after Adobe's announcement to no longer offer a perpetual license for Lightroom and instead force all customers into a subscription model. I did it mainly to buy myself time in evaluating replacements for LR and being concerned that the upgrade offer for LR 6 would be pulled by Adobe, as I will probably be buying a Canon EOS M5 body at some point, which I do not believe is supported in LR 5.7. From a purely application feature standpoint, though, the additions to LR 6 from 5.7 are minimal and not worth the upgrade cost, IMO. Comparing performance of 5.7 to 6 is difficult for me, as I also upgraded my PC around the same time as upgrading Lightroom.

After playing with DxO Optics Pro for awhile, though, I wish I would have just put that $80 towards their new Photo Lab product. I am leaning heavily towards that program being my eventual replacement for Lightroom.

THANKS!! This is the kind of anecdotal information I want.

Justin ­ Time
83 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 20, 2017 07:31 |  #11

I don't think is a good idea to upgrade to the a new version of the standalone Lightroom, which will be discontinued anyway.
The choice is rather whether to join the $10 per month subscription to Lightroom plus Photoshop.
I am perfectly happy with it and I think the new classic version is a big improvement.
Any possible replacement for LR PS falls very short of my requirements and doesn't really come cheaper.
But it depends on your workflow

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,051 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 20, 2017 17:34 |  #12

Justin Time wrote in post #18522400 (external link)
The choice is rather whether to join the $10 per month subscription to Lightroom plus Photoshop.
I am perfectly happy with it and I think the new classic version is a big improvement.

..big improvement over what? LR 5?

I am resisting adopting the subscrition model. I think LR 5.7 suits my needs and just wonder if LR 6.14 better suits it.

...plus I worry that LR Classic will crawl at a snail's pace with my graphics card Radeon RX 460 with OpenGL® Version 6.14.10.13497 and OpenCL™ Version 23

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by BigAl007.

Dec 20, 2017 19:23 |  #13

philmar wrote in post #18522837 (external link)
..big improvement over what? LR 5?

I am resisting adopting the subscrition model. I think LR 5.7 suits my needs and just wonder if LR 6.14 better suits it.

...plus I worry that LR Classic will crawl at a snail's pace with my graphics card Radeon RX 460 with OpenGL® Version 6.14.10.13497 and OpenCL™ Version 23

You DON'T need to enable GUI acceleration, it is just an option. Even with a HiDPI, 5K in my case, monitor, and a GTX960 GPU I don't particularly see much performance difference if I disable the GPU acceleration. I stuck with Lr 4.1/Ps CS5 until Aug 16, when I got my current system, and needed to upgrade to support my new hardware. If you are only running a 1920×1080 or even 2560×2160 monitor I don't think you would have anything to worry about with your current card.

I'm really glad that I did go to the new software, it has quite a lot of new stuff that I use pretty much every day. Dehaze of example is something that I really like, it seems to work really well for me. I have also played with both the RAW HDR and Pano stitching, even going to the length of combining a series of three shot HDR exposures into a large 360 pano. For the few panos that I do it seems to be one of the better tools that I have tried.

As well as Ps I also use Premier, and although I have to go with the full subscription, not the photography bundle, it is still actually a really good deal. If I only used Lr and Ps the £8.99/month would be IMO very cheap. I don't see Adobe increasing the prices much either, since it is probably better having lots of people paying a smaller amount, than pushing up prices, and losing customers.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2017 09:40 |  #14

I noticed you are asking this on multiple sites including the Queen. Just curious what you are learning with feedback from several sources. I do that was well from time to time.

Image Editing OK

Justin ­ Time
83 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 21, 2017 12:12 |  #15

I agree with the fact that the graphic card is hardly used in LR, it is actually better to turn it off with a regular screen. With a 4k or bigger screen it can be useful, but the difference is hardly noticeable in most cases.
I don't know if your version has the Dehaze slider, but it is my favorite tool. I also really like the luminosity and colour mask in the new Classic CC

sponsored links

4,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are the benefits of upgrading from Lightroom v.5.7 to 6???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.