Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 19:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Marketing in 2018

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 18, 2017 19:31 |  #1

One of the main aspects of my photography business that I will be focusing on in 2018 is going to be my marketing strategy. With that being said, how important is Instagram and Twitter to the success of your business? I have both currently and might post once or twice a month but they are neither one used specifically towards my photography business. I believe I will create an Instagram and Twitter just for my photography business and try to utilize it more often.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Dec 19, 2017 02:07 |  #2

Like any marketing it is about targeting the right audience. You need to post on a regular basis. You need to have a coherent style and you need to interact with your target audience.

I have one account for my street photography which is for fun, then I have an account for my sports photography. With the latter I make an effort to post at least twice a week (I have a store of "from the archives" images to post in the off season). More importantly I went out of my way to follow and interact with local athletes, teams and related companies who have accounts. That has resulted in them following/interacting with my account and me getting offers of work.

Another way to use them is a simple portfolio - very easy to send a link to someone for your Instagram. But that does mean you need to only post your top work and keep it up to date.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jun 2005
La Verne, Cali
Dec 19, 2017 14:26 |  #3

Instagram can be a great supplement to other marketing strategies. I don't feel that it can be your main marketing pipeline (although your results may vary).

I don't see twitter as a viable long-term marketing outlet for a photographer. It's not a bad idea to have an account so that you can interact with potential clients, but don't invest too much time or energy into it in my opinion.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

persiano_dubai
51 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Tehran
Post has been last edited 19 hours ago by persiano_dubai. 2 edits done in total.
19 hours ago |  #4

If your sole income is going to be from your photography business, then spend 8 hours on it. Half on client relations and business aspects then devote half of your work day to creating content that is unique and eye catching. Be active on facebook, instagram, twitter,youtube, and share the content you created.

If you dont put in the hours, you will probably not see that much results. But invest time and effort, and it will definitely yield you the results you look forward to.

And I assume you have a website already and branding covered as well. If you have not, then I suggest a comprehensive marketing plan to help you set the course early. Treat you busuiness seriously, and it will treat you good as well.

Think outside the box and go out of your way to create and brand fron the ground up.

I recently started a blog to introduce food photography and also inform my clients of the benefits. Check it out here

Saltandshutter.com/blo​g

Woohooo, that's a lot of words, sorry I got lost

Gear: Canon 450D ,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Sigma 70-300 DG macro, Nifty Fifty (50mm f/1.8 ), Kenko Extention Tubes, Canon Speedite 430 EX II Flash, Wireless Remote, Mini Portable Studio Tent, Slik Tripod

309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Marketing in 2018
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.