Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Marketing in 2018

shaunmcfd
780 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 18, 2017 19:31 |  #1

One of the main aspects of my photography business that I will be focusing on in 2018 is going to be my marketing strategy. With that being said, how important is Instagram and Twitter to the success of your business? I have both currently and might post once or twice a month but they are neither one used specifically towards my photography business. I believe I will create an Instagram and Twitter just for my photography business and try to utilize it more often.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,893 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 19, 2017 02:07 |  #2

Like any marketing it is about targeting the right audience. You need to post on a regular basis. You need to have a coherent style and you need to interact with your target audience.

I have one account for my street photography which is for fun, then I have an account for my sports photography. With the latter I make an effort to post at least twice a week (I have a store of "from the archives" images to post in the off season). More importantly I went out of my way to follow and interact with local athletes, teams and related companies who have accounts. That has resulted in them following/interacting with my account and me getting offers of work.

Another way to use them is a simple portfolio - very easy to send a link to someone for your Instagram. But that does mean you need to only post your top work and keep it up to date.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 19, 2017 14:26 |  #3

Instagram can be a great supplement to other marketing strategies. I don't feel that it can be your main marketing pipeline (although your results may vary).

I don't see twitter as a viable long-term marketing outlet for a photographer. It's not a bad idea to have an account so that you can interact with potential clients, but don't invest too much time or energy into it in my opinion.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

persiano_dubai
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by persiano_dubai. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2018 13:23 |  #4

If your sole income is going to be from your photography business, then spend 8 hours on it. Half on client relations and business aspects then devote half of your work day to creating content that is unique and eye catching. Be active on facebook, instagram, twitter,youtube, and share the content you created.

If you dont put in the hours, you will probably not see that much results. But invest time and effort, and it will definitely yield you the results you look forward to.

And I assume you have a website already and branding covered as well. If you have not, then I suggest a comprehensive marketing plan to help you set the course early. Treat you busuiness seriously, and it will treat you good as well.

Think outside the box and go out of your way to create and brand fron the ground up.

I recently started a blog to introduce food photography and also inform my clients of the benefits. Check it out here

Saltandshutter.com/blo​g

Woohooo, that's a lot of words, sorry I got lost

Gear: Canon 450D ,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Sigma 70-300 DG macro, Nifty Fifty (50mm f/1.8 ), Kenko Extention Tubes, Canon Speedite 430 EX II Flash, Wireless Remote, Mini Portable Studio Tent, Slik Tripod

jeffarmstrong
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Feb 28, 2018 14:34 |  #5

For me, Instagram has been mainly just a supporting way for brides to check out our wedding photography. We get a few inquiries here and there, but it's not a major source of leads for us. We regularly post to Twitter, but I think it is pretty much useless for our business.

On another note:

I have been focusing on creating interesting niche content that interests and serves potential ideal clients. If it's something that they're researching BEFORE they actually book a photographer, then that's best. That way, perhaps they'll find me while they search for something like my How To Choose A Wedding Photographer (external link) post or my Outdoor Lexington Wedding Venues (external link).

A few other examples of how we use targeted content to attack brides that are searching for related content:

Tips for Hosting an Outdoor Wedding Ceremony and Reception (external link)
How to Plan Your Proposal (external link)
Louisville Ky Wedding Venues (Outdoor) (external link)
Louisville Wedding Planners (external link)

Again, the idea is to first serve our potential clients, ideally before they can book someone instead of us. If they inquire, great. If not, we have still gotten to provide them with useful info! I'm not sure which type of photography you do, but being able to use location-specific content that can somehow serve your clients may be a good way to market for you.

I hope this is helpful!

Vision + Skill + Effort > Gear > Not having the best gear for the job
Lexington Wedding Photographer (external link) | Louisville Wedding Photographer (external link) | Cincinnati Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Instagram (external link) |
My Advice Blog (external link) |
Recent Weddings I've Photographed (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,705 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 09, 2018 10:03 |  #6

Talking to other consumer/retail (portraits, weddings) photographers around me, we're coming to the conclusion that our own time spent in social media runs into a diminishing returns wall very quickly.

It appears that it doesn't really matter how many likes or followers we have, what matters is how many likes/followers our clients have.

Clients who are themselves influential on social media bring additional clients through social media far more effectively than anything we do ourselves. All we really have to do is maintain an attractive social presence to be contacted the prospective clients who are pointed to us by our work on the feeds of influential clients.

This is essentially no different from word of mouth prior to social media.

jeffarmstrong
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 12, 2018 11:36 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #7

This is a great point, RDKirk!

Vision + Skill + Effort > Gear > Not having the best gear for the job
Lexington Wedding Photographer (external link) | Louisville Wedding Photographer (external link) | Cincinnati Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Instagram (external link) |
My Advice Blog (external link) |
Recent Weddings I've Photographed (external link)

sponsored links

1,218 views & 3 likes for this thread
Marketing in 2018
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.