Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 20 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 23:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anything better than Canon 24-70 2.8 II

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
Jan 04, 2018 17:58 |  #46

Lbsimon wrote in post #18532617 (external link)
What is "boring"?

24-105mm f/2.8-5.6 is a common focal length/max aperture range. A few well knowns (Scott Kelby etc) claim there are so many banal photos with those lenses that the noise is simply too much to cut through. 11-24, 16-35, >200mm & fast primes are, in their estimation, better tools for differentiating your pictures.

The SNR with common lenses is low but I don't think a throwing money and hardware at a creative problem is a long term solution. That rut is applicable to any camera/lens if you shoot with it long enough without adjusting your approach.

Equipment can be useful for inspiring change. Takes work to stay on that path though.

I wonder if Thomas Leuthard (external link) would still be shooting if he changed equipment?

Thomas Leuthard was a passionate street photographer based in the heart of Switzerland. He started in May 2009 to focus primarily on street photography. In June 2017 he decided to stop photography due to motivational reasons. There are new projects to focus on, which has nothing to do with photography...

Disappointed that he quit yet happy for him if it means he's doing what he likes and isn't producing bad photos just to maintain a revenue stream.

Lee

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Jan 04, 2018 18:23 |  #47

aezoss wrote in post #18533540 (external link)
24-105mm f/2.8-5.6 is a common focal length/max aperture range. A few well knowns (Scott Kelby etc) claim there are so many banal photos with those lenses that the noise is simply too much to cut through. 11-24, 16-35, >200mm & fast primes are, in their estimation, better tools for differentiating your pictures.

Most artists use the same brushes and canvasses, however many paintings in galleries are boring. Probably because these paintings are done with those brushes. My wife is a fine artist, sells in local galleries and to private collectors. Her brushes and canvasses are also boring, but her paintings are far from banal.

I am thankful to the people who try to explain "boring" to me, but somehow I am still not convinced that a tool (a camera, a chisel, a brush, a cutter) can be the reason for a boring object of art.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 04, 2018 20:30 |  #48

My JennAir oven cooks very exciting cookies!... Never boring... :p

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

3,611 views & 29 likes for this thread
Anything better than Canon 24-70 2.8 II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.