Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 22 Dec 2017 (Friday) 20:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A couple powered hard drive questions.

murtaugh
301 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Abilene, Tx
Dec 22, 2017 20:55 |  #1

I just got my first hard powered hard drive. Is it ok to connect and disconnect from my laptop as long as I keep it plugged in and powered up. I have a tendency to take my laptop with me a couple times a week and I won't be needing the hard drive.

A random side thought. Can I plug this powered hard drive into my wireless router and use on my home network? The main purpose for this hard drive is for editing video and some video storage. If I can clear enough room off my laptop hard drive, then I will just use it for storage and edit off the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Gear List.
50D w/grip, 50 1.8 II, 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM, 17-40 4L/USM

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 25 days ago by davesrose.
Dec 22, 2017 21:19 |  #2

It depends on what hard drive you got, and what configuration your router has. Some external drives are USB 3/firewire only. Others have ethernet. If your HD has ethernet, then that's the most straight forward way of connecting to a router (and it's usually faster then wifi). Some external HDs also have wifi, in which you can setup first from your computer with your USB connection...and then your HD will stay connected with the router through wifi. If you have a home that's wired with ethernet, and your router is in a different location in the house, you can connect the HD to an ethernet hub switch. Hub switches are inexpensive boxes that let you distribute other ethernet devices (be it HD, media device, computer, etc) from one ethernet outlet in the house. There are also connected wifi modules for extending the range of wifi vs just your router.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,491 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 22, 2017 21:29 |  #3

murtaugh wrote in post #18524354 (external link)
I just got my first hard powered hard drive. Is it ok to connect and disconnect from my laptop as long as I keep it plugged in and powered up. I have a tendency to take my laptop with me a couple times a week and I won't be needing the hard drive.

Plug in, yes. unplug, best to use the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" option and lt the OS disconnect the drive, then you can unplug.

murtaugh wrote in post #18524354 (external link)
A random side thought. Can I plug this powered hard drive into my wireless router and use on my home network? The main purpose for this hard drive is for editing video and some video storage. If I can clear enough room off my laptop hard drive, then I will just use it for storage and edit off the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Depends, is your enclosure Ethernet or usb capable?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 22, 2017 21:30 |  #4

Windows or Mac?

pbrimages
237 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Dec 23, 2017 14:22 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18524367 (external link)
Plug in, yes. unplug, best to use the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" option and lt the OS disconnect the drive, then you can unplug.

Bingo

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 24, 2017 09:36 |  #6

There are actually two settings in Windows for an external drive. One, the default is basically for "quick removal" which disables write caching to the drive. If a write operastion is finished, after just a few seconds you can just disconnect the cable safely. The other setting is for "better performance" and that enables write caching. When using that setting, it is good to use the "Safetly Remove" option that is found on the PC (often in the tray). This tells Windows to write the cache contents to disk and then flush the write cache.

To view or change the setting, plug the drive in and go to Device Manage. Right click the drive, select properties, click the policies tab and you will see the two options listed. Note you may or may not see an improvement in performance. USB3 drives are pretty fast and in that case you may not see an improvement unless you had a special utility.

After choosing your setting, you can also create a desktop shortcut with custom icon for ejecting drives, memory stick etc by following the procedures at http://ccm.net ...eject-usb-storage-devices (external link).

sponsored links

328 views & 1 like for this thread
A couple powered hard drive questions.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.