Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

extension tube help

Justin_NJ
177 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2017 11:15 |  #1

I can't seems to get my camera into focus (all blur) using extension tubes. I am sure it's user error but could use some guidance. I did ensure I followed the tube's instructions to mount the tube to the camera prior to mounting the lens.

Equipment:
Canon 60D
Canon 100 2.8L
Kenko Extension Tubes

I tried various combinations of the tube sizes and also for curiosity tried an 18-135 lens just to see what would happen.

Any guidance would be appreciated it.

Justin

Thanks -
Justin

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,551 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by Nogo. (4 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2017 12:08 |  #2

What tubes do you have? Some do not have electrical contacts which will force you to shoot wide open with any lens that does not have a ring to manually set aperture on the lens itself.

Edit: Not sure about the Canon EF 100, but there are tricks aroud that. Something like set the apertute, diconnect lens and then put it back on tubes. (If this is needed, someone else may know how. I have only read about it, never done it.)

Other than that, shooting closer than 1:1 pretty much requires manual focus. Also realize your DOF will be razor thin. That is why most avid macro photographers will get into focus stacking. To help this problem strong lighting is necessary so you can stop down to at least f9.

In summary if you have good tubes (with electrical contacts) DOF and no AF are likely your problems, not the inability to focus.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,796 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 23, 2017 12:26 |  #3

you have to get a lot closer than what you are trying...at least that's my guess...when i first got tubes years ago, i thought they didn't work...i probably put the whole set on too...you need to get really close with tubes...you'll start to see it come into focus

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,551 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2017 12:27 |  #4

Sorry. Missed seeing you have Kinko tubes. They do have electrical contacts. Ignore the part about no aperture adjustments.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,499 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 23, 2017 13:09 |  #5

You lose infinity focus, and anything past a few feet, when you mount a TC.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Justin_NJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2017 14:04 |  #6

Thanks all - got close and it works perfect!

Thanks -
Justin

sponsored links

1,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
extension tube help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.