Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 11:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

extension tube help

Justin_NJ
Joined Nov 2007
New Jersey
Dec 23, 2017 11:15 |  #1

I can't seems to get my camera into focus (all blur) using extension tubes. I am sure it's user error but could use some guidance. I did ensure I followed the tube's instructions to mount the tube to the camera prior to mounting the lens.

Equipment:
Canon 60D
Canon 100 2.8L
Kenko Extension Tubes

I tried various combinations of the tube sizes and also for curiosity tried an 18-135 lens just to see what would happen.

Any guidance would be appreciated it.

Justin

Thanks -
Justin

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by Nogo. 4 edits done in total.
Dec 23, 2017 12:08 |  #2

What tubes do you have? Some do not have electrical contacts which will force you to shoot wide open with any lens that does not have a ring to manually set aperture on the lens itself.

Edit: Not sure about the Canon EF 100, but there are tricks aroud that. Something like set the apertute, diconnect lens and then put it back on tubes. (If this is needed, someone else may know how. I have only read about it, never done it.)

Other than that, shooting closer than 1:1 pretty much requires manual focus. Also realize your DOF will be razor thin. That is why most avid macro photographers will get into focus stacking. To help this problem strong lighting is necessary so you can stop down to at least f9.

In summary if you have good tubes (with electrical contacts) DOF and no AF are likely your problems, not the inability to focus.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,762 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Dec 23, 2017 12:26 |  #3

you have to get a lot closer than what you are trying...at least that's my guess...when i first got tubes years ago, i thought they didn't work...i probably put the whole set on too...you need to get really close with tubes...you'll start to see it come into focus

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Dec 23, 2017 12:27 |  #4

Sorry. Missed seeing you have Kinko tubes. They do have electrical contacts. Ignore the part about no aperture adjustments.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 23, 2017 13:09 |  #5

You lose infinity focus, and anything past a few feet, when you mount a TC.

Tom

Justin_NJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2007
New Jersey
Dec 23, 2017 14:04 |  #6

Thanks all - got close and it works perfect!

Thanks -
Justin

sponsored links

382 views & 0 likes for this thread
extension tube help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.