Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 14:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HATE the Pixma Pro 100

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 23, 2017 14:44 |  #1

This printer is unbelievably aggravating. I'm using the 13x19 paper... it took me HOURS figuring out where and how to feed the paper (gotta use the rear tray), and as a bonus it JAMS every damn time I print. The process of feeding the paper in is vague, you can't tell if it's seated juuuuuusst right, because 90% of the time it jams. And if you get a jam, then you have to pull the stuck paper out, making that piece unusable for a final print because it's wrinkled where the printer had grabbed it.

Icing on the cake, I just got it to work!!! And it came out like this...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I'm done with this printer, it's going in the trash. What an ergonomic disaster.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
dmking
29 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Kalispell
Dec 23, 2017 14:59 |  #2

Sorry to hear that. I have no problems with mine at all.

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 23, 2017 16:00 |  #3

Glad to hear it actually works well for you; I am flabbergasted that this particular unit is so terrible, and my experience with Canon equipment has been nothing bur stellar. Perhaps this is one is the 1 in 100 that is expected to be defective...

I've had mine for about 1.5 years, and have made some nice prints from it, but only after literally 1-2 hours of fussing around, trial and error feeding the sheets (4 or 5 attempts, printer jams and wrinkles the paper) before I had one come out successful. Never once has it just *worked* like a normal printer should.

flickrexternal link

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Post has been edited 29 days ago by lacogada.
Dec 23, 2017 16:30 |  #4

MatthewK wrote in post #18524828 (external link)
(gotta use the rear tray),

You are referring to the top feeder, right.

I feed 13 x 19 through the top feeder with no problems.

My 1st printout had a little offset at the bottom of the print.

I ran some type of alignment cycle and that fixed it ( probably print head alignment )
Can't say for sure as this computer does not have the Pro 100 software.

But after that alignment, no problems abd happy with the printer overall.

michgirl
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Michigan
Dec 23, 2017 17:48 |  #5

I purchased this printer earlier this year to replace an Epson 1900 that suffered from clogged ink heads every time I wanted to use it. And I love the Canon Pixma Pro 100. It never jams. Do you think you have a faulty feeder?

Love all of the ink deals and free paper that go along with this printer. I shall never buy paper again.

Good luck getting yours figured out.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,984 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 23, 2017 18:50 |  #6

I get my prints done at Walmart.com. No frustration at all. If I don't like a print, I take it to a local store with my order number. They re-do it until I like it. They even let me tweak the settings one time. Inexpensive, no-hassle printing for all at Walmart.com.

Tom

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 23, 2017 20:08 |  #7

I’m told Costco and Wal-Mart do good work, so that’s where I’ll go from now on. Also, seeing as how you all seem to have good reports with your units, I may give another one a try. Hey regularly have the good deals on these when you buy a camera body; it’s how I got this one, when they offered the deal w/ the 80D.

flickrexternal link

PJJ205
205 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Dec 23, 2017 20:29 |  #8

You sure you didn't have the paper in upside down for that last print? I know I've made that mistake before and my print came out looking the same. Figured out that I accidentally loaded the paper facing down so it printed on the backside of the gloss piece. I also get annoyed trying to figure out how to get my prints done correctly on mine but once I get it figured out, I'm really happy with the results. It's a headache and a half until the print comes out correctly.

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by raptor3x. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 23, 2017 21:19 |  #9

PJJ205 wrote in post #18525070 (external link)
You sure you didn't have the paper in upside down for that last print? I know I've made that mistake before and my print came out looking the same. Figured out that I accidentally loaded the paper facing down so it printed on the backside of the gloss piece. I also get annoyed trying to figure out how to get my prints done correctly on mine but once I get it figured out, I'm really happy with the results. It's a headache and a half until the print comes out correctly.

I agree, it looks like it's still not feeding correctly. OP, when you say you can't get it to feed a 13x19 through the top tray, what exactly do you mean by that? Does it give an error message or some other problem? Also, does the printer show similar issues if you print smaller formats through the top tray? Like others I've never had any issue feeding paper including multiple 13x19 paper types including Canon paper and super heavy 3rd party paper, seems like there's either a process issue or something seriously wrong with the printer.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 23, 2017 22:38 |  #10

Thank you for the troubleshooting help. This was 1 of 4 failed prints this evening, all came out like this. A few times, the printer would grab the sheet to print, and the paper would just get passed through without printing on it. And I just checked, paper was right-side up unfortunately.

flickrexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,514 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 23, 2017 23:38 |  #11

MatthewK wrote in post #18525054 (external link)
I’m told Costco and Wal-Mart do good work, so that’s where I’ll go from now on. Also, seeing as how you all seem to have good reports with your units, I may give another one a try. Hey regularly have the good deals on these when you buy a camera body; it’s how I got this one, when they offered the deal w/ the 80D.

Walmart, no, at least none here. Costco however is great especially if you load up your local stores profile and adjust the photo before sending. However, I received this printer with the current Canon rebates and have been toying around with giving it a go, either that or sell it along with the 50 pack of 13x19 paper.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PJJ205
205 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Dec 24, 2017 09:06 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #12

The same thing happened to me for hours. I figured out that it was the settings on my computer/printing module that made it pass the paper right through without attempting to print, due to the 13x19 desired size. When I get back home after the holidays, I’ll try to figure out what all I changed to get it to work.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been edited 29 days ago by saea501.
Dec 24, 2017 09:48 |  #13

I've had no problems with mine either....had it for several years.

When I first got it there wasn't much set up and it worked just fine straight away. The only problem I ever had was, as above, I once put the paper in upside down. Man, it was like printing on a sponge. -?

With regard to feeding....I can't imagine you're having this much trouble. I just drop it in the rear tray, no adjusting or fussing. And it works perfectly.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 24, 2017 12:28 |  #14

saea501 wrote in post #18525348 (external link)
I've had no problems with mine either....had it for several years.

When I first got it there wasn't much set up and it worked just fine straight away. The only problem I ever had was, as above, I once put the paper in upside down. Man, it was like printing on a sponge. -?

With regard to feeding....I can't imagine you're having this much trouble. I just drop it in the rear tray, no adjusting or fussing. And it works perfectly.

Yeah man, it jams *every* time, without fail. I've tried every which way to finagle it in, and it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it grabs it without jamming.

PJJ205 wrote in post #18525314 (external link)
The same thing happened to me for hours. I figured out that it was the settings on my computer/printing module that made it pass the paper right through without attempting to print, due to the 13x19 desired size. When I get back home after the holidays, I’ll try to figure out what all I changed to get it to work.

Interesting.. any help would be much appreciated. I've printed probably ~10 photos since I've had it, and it just now started this weird color behavior (when it prints). I haven't made any settings changes either; when I first received the Pixma, I spent a day researching YouTube and other How-To's before I attempted a print, and haven't changed those settings since.

flickrexternal link

lilkngster
Joined Sep 2010
NJ
Dec 25, 2017 07:21 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #15

With jamming, misfeed, and extra sheets feeding, sounds mechanical. Maybe some dust or debris has fallen in. Did you (accidentally) do something you were not supposed to (print 2 sided on 1 sided paper)? Wrinkle marks at the end or middle of paper? And just to clarify, are you talking about feeding from the TOP (auto) or the BACK (manual) feed or is it affecting both methods?

In terms of your color, have you run a nozzle check? You sample seems to be lacking magenta, so maybe your ink is out or not printing, especially if you are still on your first set of inks.

If those are ok, what software and operating system are you using to print? It is possible to "confuse" your printer by having both the software and the printer color profile (double profiling) which results in some funky color issues, did you install a new printing/photo management software? If so, those setting you did at day may not work.

This guy has a lot of videos on printing and Pro 100:

https://www.youtube.co​m ...qckbpw44XPf4EExFGyR​UtORFc (external link)

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sponsored links

1,998 views & 6 likes for this thread
HATE the Pixma Pro 100
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.