Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 22:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kestrel in winter sun

squirl033
Goldmember
2,674 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2017 22:34 |  #1

My first afternoon of exploring my new environs (Chehalis) yielded this shot of a female kestrel on a signpost beside the road. I spotted her about 75 yards away, and rolled to a stop on the opposite shoulder about 20 yards from her perch. Didn't get out of the car, so as not to spook her, just shot out the open driver's window and got several shots... this one is the best.

IMAGE: https://image.ibb.co/k09D9m/IMG_3450_sm.jpg

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.com (external link)

sponsored links
Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,363 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2017 05:06 |  #2

Very nice Rocky. Clearly an amateur, inexperienced Kestrel, otherwise it would have taken off the instant you touched your window switch. :)

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,674 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 24, 2017 11:21 |  #3

Wallace River wrote in post #18525222 (external link)
Very nice Rocky. Clearly an amateur, inexperienced Kestrel, otherwise it would have taken off the instant you touched your window switch. :)

LOL! Thanks, Ian... yeah, they're pretty skittish, but I beat this one to the punch and rolled my window down while the car was still moving! ;)

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

Shackleton
881 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 24, 2017 22:39 as a reply to  @ squirl033's post |  #4

Beautiful shot-looks like she's got a remnant of her last meal in her beak. Kestrels are one of my favorites-all the colors of a parrot, all the attitude of a falcon, and easy to find if not to photograph.

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
6,603 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 29, 2017 18:02 |  #5

Wow, beautiful bird and shot, Rocky. Having a bit of experience with Kestrels, I’ll forgive you the ugly perch. :lol:

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
25,877 posts
Gallery: 813 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2018 16:26 |  #6

Beautiful Kestrel Rocky. Saw one yesterday in Samish Flats and yes as soon as I rolled my window flew away...:)

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,674 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 03, 2018 17:28 |  #7

Shackleton wrote in post #18525749 (external link)
Beautiful shot-looks like she's got a remnant of her last meal in her beak. Kestrels are one of my favorites-all the colors of a parrot, all the attitude of a falcon, and easy to find if not to photograph.

ardeekay wrote in post #18529048 (external link)
Wow, beautiful bird and shot, Rocky. Having a bit of experience with Kestrels, I’ll forgive you the ugly perch. :lol:

Peter2516 wrote in post #18531131 (external link)
Beautiful Kestrel Rocky. Saw one yesterday in Samish Flats and yes as soon as I rolled my window flew away...:)

Thanks, guys!

Peter, the kestrels here seem a bit easier to approach than the ones up in the Seattle area... I think I'm going to enjoy shooting them! ;)

Rocky ~
~ Three Dog Night

sponsored links

635 views & 15 likes for this thread
Kestrel in winter sun
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.