Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Dec 2017 (Monday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Price Watch

rh18
148 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 11:13 |  #16

If it comes time to use the warranty with a lens purchased through CPW or Greentoe, do you run into any problems with Canon because you got the lens below minimum advertised pricing?

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
steve67
152 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2018 16:05 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #17

Nope, I have even stacked rebates.

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

Dmab
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Dmab. (2 edits in all)

Jan 17, 2018 09:48 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #18

Does Canon check the price you paid for the lens? I assume they just need the serial number/warranty card to do service.

Also, I recommend Greentoe as well. Got a great deal on cameras and lenses. Just be aware that once you put a bid in for the app to search, you are pretty much obligated to purchase. How the workflow works is:
1) Download the app to your phone and put in all relevant information
2) Do a search for a product
3) Put a price on that product that you're willing to spend
4) The app shows you how likely that price will be accepted
5) Confirm price
6) Wait
7) Within a few hours or days you'll get emails saying:
- No acceptance and to adjust the price
- Acceptance of the price
8) Once the price has been accepted, the product is shipped from the business that accepted it (which is now visible in the app) and your card is charged automatically. There's no last minute chance to cancel the bid through the app.

For the most part this is fine. It's just that initial shock of obligation. The only way to cancel is to call up the business itself and cancel. Or receive the product and do a return.

Dan
=======
Gear List

rh18
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 17, 2018 12:57 as a reply to  @ Dmab's post |  #19

Thanks for the details Dan - good to know exactly how it works before trying it. I'm not sure if Canon checks the price you paid but I assumed you would have to send in your receipt for warranty service to show the date you purchased your item. Do they only require the card? I know I sent in a Sigma lens once and they wanted the receipt and the card. Maybe Canon does things different.

From your experience, approximately what percentage on the "your chance of success" gauge is likely to be accepted? For example, if you put your price so it's just over 50% chance, are you likely to make a deal? I'd be curious to know what other people's strategies are with the pricing.

Dmab
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 17, 2018 13:14 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #20

From my experience if the gauge doesn’t show green then most likely businesses will come back with a counter offer of $50 more than what you initially put in. Unless the offer is ridiculously low and it’s in the yellows oranges are red’s and you’ll probably get a good discount from even the rebate prices

Dan
=======
Gear List

rh18
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 17, 2018 16:33 as a reply to  @ Dmab's post |  #21

Good info - thanks for the insights.

sponsored links

2,193 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon Price Watch
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.