Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 26 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 09:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switching from a late 2013 27" iMac to a new Windows Build

aemravan
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Dec 26, 2017 09:13 |  #1

Just a quick thread to see if anyone else has been like me and is looking to jump ship from an iMac to a Windows pc for editing.

I am usually a windows guy, but about 4 years ago I bought an iMac for photos and videos, and to be honest with you, even with a slower processor on paper, it handled pictures pretty solidly. And the screen....well thats just a whole other story, it was beautiful. It wasn't until recently with the new Canon 5DIV and some 4k video footage out of the mavic pro that I started noticing some VERY significant speed issues in lightroom, photoshop and imovie. Well, I sold the system last week for 700 bucks and used the funds to get a brand new build going. Below are the specs:

i7-8700K Coffee lake 6-core processor
AsRock Z370 Killer motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32 gb (2x16) DDR4 ram
EVGA GeForce GTX1070SC video card
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500gb SSD primary storage for apps
2x Toshiba n300 4tb NAS Harddrive as redundant photo/video storage
Corsair Hydro Series h100i V2 liquid cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 power suply
going into a ROSEWILL ATX mid tower case

also decided to pick up the BenQ's 27" 2k/qhd IPS monitor to get the color calibration a little better to prints.
and went with a Steel Series Apex 350 keyboard and Logitech MX Master mouse.

I know many will say that this is overkill for pictures, and frankly, I agree, the build with the peripherals was right at 3k making it a 2200$ tower which is more than capable of 4k video editing. My last windows build I did lasted me 6 years for picture editing and I am still using it as a home pc for my day-to-day stuff so I figured if im going to invest, might as well make sure it has the power to blow through 4k video as well. I am sure the i7-7700 would have handled the images just fine :) and I could have saved myself maybe 1000 bucks, but what the hell, its christmas and I decided to treat myself :)

Canon 5Diii - Canon 24-70 2.8L - Canon 100 2.8L Macro - Sigma 50 1.4

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,226 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 26, 2017 13:16 |  #2

Looks like a nice build

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 21 days ago by davesrose.
Dec 26, 2017 13:48 |  #3

What software will you be using for 4K video editing? Photoshop and Lightroom really aren't meant for 4K video rendering. They're not multi-threaded GPU CUDA optimized. Within the Adobe system, there's Adobe Premiere...which is a basic video editor, and there's AfterEffects (which is used for compositing and visual effects). They both can render out to Adobe's universal video encoding program: Adobe Media Encoder. These programs are optimized for video rendering, and fully support multi-threading and GPU support. If you elect just to get Premiere Pro, Media Encoder is included.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

aemravan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Dec 26, 2017 14:33 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #4

Currently I am on SOny Movie Studio HD and Vegas Pro for video editing. I would love to go the premier or after effects route but cant justify the monthly cost for just personal videos i make. I haven't even thought to look into the capabilities of those two programs with regards to multi threading... 6 cores may end up being too much if they don't support it, but then again, I do run multiple taxing programs all at one time..

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 26, 2017 14:54 as a reply to aemravan's post |  #5

On a Vegas forum, I see that users say that you can specify the number of cores to use (in options/preferences/vi​deo). With hyper-threading, you can set the number to double your physical cores (in your case 12)....if you aren't going to do any multitasking. You can try lowering to be able to run other programs while rendering in the background.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

aemravan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Dec 26, 2017 15:29 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #6

Thats awesome! I very much appreciate the input. I will certainly look into it.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,951 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Dec 26, 2017 15:49 |  #7

Should have tried Final Cut Pro, that's not available for Windows, is it?

Gear
Websiteexternal link

alex66
209 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jan 02, 2018 04:32 |  #8

I dumped the iMac in 2015 going first with a Hackintosh then I just installed Win 10, no regrets at the time of build I created a faster machine than the current iMac. With a 4k screen more storage and a better GPU the machine still came to less and to say I was disappointed with the build quality of the 2011 iMac would be an understatement, bought late 2011 it had a hard drive replaced in early 2012 and in late 2012 then the GPU started playing up in 2014. It would not run Yosemite without serious artefacts and died early 2015, the PC build however has been ploughing along with little issue. It is used for Photoshop, don't do video but there are large PS created montages running into the gig file sizes and it just powers through them on a I5 4xxx series. Your I7 will be a beast Im sure and the big bonus of a tower is the ease of putting in extra or replacing storage drives with bigger ones.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

aemravan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jan 06, 2018 12:24 |  #9

Don't think final cut is windows based, but at the same time I don't really mind because I already bought the sony software which worked pretty well for me in the past. I don't make too many videos at all and its all for personal use so I can't justify extra spending on video software. Obviously I'd love to invest the time and money and get something like After Effects and all that, but the reality is that this is only a hobby, and I'm not anywhere near with videos as I am with taking pictures. I'll rock with Sony for the fist couple of 4k videos and see how it handles it.

With regards to the pc build, I got it up and running finally, still doing some tweaking. It appears that I missed the fact that the motherboard I got did not have the ram I got in the QVL list. It runs, but at 2933 MHz instead of 3200. I am looking into swapping out into a 4000+ range of actual tested and listed ram which should free up some more capability.

Also still working on overclock settings. Currently running at 4.8ghz. I don't think the Corsair watercooler is all that great and I'm actually looking to get a refund and set it up with a dual fan/radiator air cooler that is delivering today from amazon. When I was testing the system at 5Ghz the temps ran VERY high for a low end test, and I know it can handle 5ghz with no issue and high 80*C, mine were over 95 into the danger zone. So as cool as it looks and as simple as it makes the case I'm going to swap to the air cooler tonight and see what it does.

That and some ram replacement to get it to 3200+ range and stable should prove to have a solid build :) Just wish both lightroom and photoshop could take more advantage of the GPU bc the card is a monster for the stuff I do and is not used anywhere its potential unless I do video work and renders.

sponsored links

386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switching from a late 2013 27" iMac to a new Windows Build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.