Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 26 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 20:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Chest harness / holster / top loader for downhill skiing?

DrMitch
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto
Dec 26, 2017 20:02 |  #1

Now that the kids can keep up with me and wife on the slopes, starting to take out the 7DII with 70-200 attached on runs.
I have a Tamrac Velocity which was not too bad to carry - swayed a little bit - but quick access was a bit of a pain.
Looking at two options:
Going with the ThinkTank Digital Holster 50 V2.0 - can chest mount it easier and hopefully access the camera easier compared to the Tamrac.
Or, keep the Tamrac as a way of transporting it up the lifts and switching to a. cotton Carrier chest harness to get REAL quick access to the camera.

Ideally want to keep the hood on in shooting position hence the TT Holster over the Lowepro Toploader

(I'm a strong skier and skiing with the family, so not going crazy when I have the camera and falls are very unlikely).

Looking for ideas for a cover for the lens / camera if I take the Cotton Carrier route.

Thanks for anything insight (pics of any alternate ideas would also be appreciated).

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,989 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Dec 26, 2017 22:09 |  #2

I used the neck strap & zipped the camera inside my parka, but had a shorter lens than the 70-200 on it.
I've also had good luck with this in post #32.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 27, 2017 18:25 |  #3

I have TT Holster as well as Cotton Carrier, but for skiing why bother with either when you can simply go with Kata Torso Pack, which I also have. The Kata Torso Pack not only gives your gear the protection from the element but that necessary quick pull-and-shoot. Only one bag to deal with.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

159 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chest harness / holster / top loader for downhill skiing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.