Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 28 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 19:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Changing over Laptop parts

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 17 days ago by Pagman.
Dec 30, 2017 21:39 |  #16

John from PA wrote in post #18529767 (external link)
I'm sorry to be blunt, but making this statement makes me feel you are not up to the task at hand and likely would face a long road getting things to work properly, if at all.

Can you help then - please,

Here is what I am doing - I will have two Toshiba laptops my present Tecra and a S500, both share the same Hdd units although one is a 500GB and the other 320GB, both are running windows 7 Pro, I want to simply and as fuss free as possible transfer over my APPS, the other files - photos etc is easy enough.
Just want help transfering my Lightroom/Photoshop CS2 Stellarium, DSS.

I have saved the download files and checked them after putting them on a disc, and they are still active and show the install instructs, so I assume they will do the same when saved in the other laptop.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 31, 2017 08:59 as a reply to Pagman's post |  #17

As I stated earlier, the downloaded files you had gotten may not have all the data for doing a full install. You can try and see if you get error messages during the install. If so, download the full .exe installers from the links I provided in my previous post. Those are for your Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS2. It's best to download the latest Stellarium and DSS software from their websites and install on the new computer. The things you want to transfer is your data files ("photos etc" as you put it).

But again, I'm wondering if you're gaining anything by getting the other quoted laptop. Looking at the specs for the Satelite Pro S500-11C, it seems to have the same processor and video resolution as your current Tecra A11 (i3-330, 1366 x 768). It also has Windows 7 32bit (the laptop itself is considered an old product)...and from what you've said, it actually has a smaller HD and less RAM. Your current Tecra has its maxed out RAM at 8GB. If it were me, I'd look at another laptop that would be a true upgrade, or upgrade parts with your current computer (get a faster, bigger hard drive/get a replacement battery).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Post has been edited 16 days ago by BigAl007.
Dec 31, 2017 09:14 |  #18

As long as you don't need to physically move the larger drive to the new computer this should be relatively simple. You say you have saved the files to a disc, is that a CD/DVD RW disk or an external HDD? If it is opticaland the new machine has a suitable optical drive you are good to go, I know many laptops have now dropped optical drives. The same applies really if it is an external HDD, since you will just need to plug it in to a USB port.

Once you have the new computer you just need to copy the saved files over the the internal HDD of the new machine, placing the photo image and other document data files in matching locations on the new system. Then you just copy across the installation programs for the software that you want installed on the new computer.

When it comes to installing the programs you probably don't want to be bothering downloading the programs again for older software, just go with the files you have. If any of the software you are using is current though it would probably be best if you went to the software publishers site and ran the install over the net again. That way you will be starting out with the latest version of the software. If you use an older install file all that will happen is that you will do the install, and then immediately have to do the update, which is a bit of a waste of time IMO you might as well just do it from the start.

Just remember that you will be installing the software from scratch on the new system, so you will need to have all of your product keys available to enter when requested.

If the larger HDD is in the older computer and you really need to change them over then I really think you would be much better off taking ti to a local computer shop, and paying them to do the job for you. I say this because if you get it wrong there is a very good chance that you would end up having to pay someone to fix it anyway. That is very likely to cost significantly more to fix, simply because fixing ti will take them longer than just doing the swap for you will. You also won't need to buy the hardware that you would need to do the swap, so that will also help offset part of the cost.

once you have got the new system running I would look into getting an external 2.5" SATA enclosure with a USB3 interface. You should be able to find one that will allow the drive to be powered from the port, but I would still look for one that also allowed and external power supply. It is quite easy to plug the old HDD into the enclosure so that you can use it as an external drive. When you first plug it into the computer though you will need to format the drive to remove all the old data from the drive. Formatting is really the best way to do this with an old system drive. I suggest using an enclosure with USB3 as a minimum, even if your system only has USB2, since the drive will work OK in a USB2 port, but won't slow things down later if you need to plug it into a computer withUSB3.

Alan

I would agree with Dave's post above, if as it seems the "new" computer is actually a bit of a downgrade I wouldn't do it. If all it is effectively going to do is get you a working battery then you would be much better off changing the battery for a new one in the existing computer. This actually has advantages, since a secondhand computer will also have a secondhand battery, with undetermined remaining life. A brand new replacement battery on the other hand is sure to have a decent lifespan ahead of it, and will probably outlive the rest of the machine at this point.

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 31, 2017 09:21 |  #19

Pagman wrote in post #18528311 (external link)
A friend wants to buy me a cheap refurbished laptop as a late xmas present, no I dont strictly need one as my current Toshiba Tecra is working fine apart from a slight screen problem and dying battery.

Do you have a feel for what your friend is paying for this replacement laptop? For what you are doing, and taking into account your computer skills, you might be better off adding some money to the "pot" and as someone suggested invest in something new.

You have to keep in mind that laptop hard drives are very often physically compatible laptop to laptop. I could give you the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit drive from my 1-year old Dell and it would physically fit. But it is almost certain it would not boot up in either Toshiba laptop. And it isn't just because it is a Dell to Toshiba swap. I have an old Dell D630 (about 10 years old) that grand-kids use. The drive from that Dell would not boot my 1-year old Dell even though it would physically fit. In addition the drive from the newer Dell would not work in my old Dell.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 31, 2017 10:28 |  #20

davesrose wrote in post #18529978 (external link)
As I stated earlier, the downloaded files you had gotten may not have all the data for doing a full install. You can try and see if you get error messages during the install. If so, download the full .exe installers from the links I provided in my previous post. Those are for your Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS2. It's best to download the latest Stellarium and DSS software from their websites and install on the new computer. The things you want to transfer is your data files ("photos etc" as you put it).

But again, I'm wondering if you're gaining anything by getting the other quoted laptop. Looking at the specs for the Satelite Pro S500-11C, it seems to have the same processor and video resolution as your current Tecra A11 (i3-330, 1366 x 768). It also has Windows 7 32bit (the laptop itself is considered an old product)...and from what you've said, it actually has a smaller HD and less RAM. Your current Tecra has its maxed out RAM at 8GB. If it were me, I'd look at another laptop that would be a true upgrade, or upgrade parts with your current computer (get a faster, bigger hard drive/get a replacement battery).

The difference is though - I am not paying for it, its a gift from a relative that they have already brought for me, so I really have nothing to loose.

P.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,567 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 31, 2017 10:30 |  #21

Pagman wrote in post #18530050 (external link)
The difference is though - I am not paying for it, its a gift from a relative that they have already brought for me, so I really have nothing to loose.

P.

Then physically swap the drives and see what happens. It is easy enough to do and you nothing to lose.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 31, 2017 10:47 |  #22

BigAl007 wrote in post #18529989 (external link)
I would agree with Dave's post above, if as it seems the "new" computer is actually a bit of a downgrade I wouldn't do it. If all it is effectively going to do is get you a working battery then you would be much better off changing the battery for a new one in the existing computer. This actually has advantages, since a secondhand computer will also have a secondhand battery, with undetermined remaining life. A brand new replacement battery on the other hand is sure to have a decent lifespan ahead of it, and will probably outlive the rest of the machine at this point.

I have sucessfully saved the downloaded extractor files onto a memory card, and even tested them buy opening each and the run options to install them are all still active.

In relation to the new laptop its really a win win situation as me current laptop although working ok has a few cosmetic issues like darkening edges on the screen (dead pixals) and the plastic case around the screen is cracked in a few places.
Earlier this year I took the laptop to a pc repair shop they looked at the screen and said it would need a replacement screen (not cheep and more than the s/h price I payed for it over 2 years ago)
I had decided to just put up with the dark bottom corners.

So with this present its a bonus that I do not have to worry about saving up to get the current one fixed, or finding £50-£60 for a replacement battery, my current one lasts about 10minutes now and I need to keep it plugged in all the time.

P.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by davesrose. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 31, 2017 11:46 as a reply to Pagman's post |  #23

So from your description, the main thing you gain is a screen that isn't cracked. I'm not sure the S500-11C is going to have a long lasting battery, since it's an old computer. I doubt you can just swap HDs since they're still different laptops. Even if they share the same processor and similar specs: they probably have a different motherboard and chip-set. Another issue is that the recovery disc from the S500-11C may be looking for identical HD size and hardware, and will refuse to install on a different HD (or computer setup). The most straight forward way of getting a duplicate copy of the original S500 operating system software on another drive is to have the other drive connected to a USB port (from a SATA to USB adapter), and then "clone" the drive with software such as EaseUS Backup (external link) (which allows for imaging of different sized discs). Be aware, that the target drive will have any previous data wiped. So, there may be some hair pulling in trying to get the HDs swapped. For RAM, it looks like both computers are old enough that all RAM slots are on the under-side. You can check and see if your current laptop, with the maxed out 8GB is also faster: in that case, you can use both RAM chips with the S500.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

621 views & 5 likes for this thread
Changing over Laptop parts
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.