Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Enhancer/intensifier filters

pcjack
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 30, 2017 01:07 |  #1

I have used a Tiffen enhancing filter a lot over the last few years for sunrises and sunsets with a Nikon film camera and it is fantastic.I believe that I will be able to use it with a digital camera ( Nikon ) in the manual mode,which I have not tried YET.As far as I know you can't use it in the auto mode.Does anyone have any input on this,THANKS

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2017 01:29 |  #2

Since it's just a colored filter, I'd imagine it'd be easier to adjust those tones in post. A selective color adjustment layer in Ps can do the same thing with more control. Otherwise, sure, you could use it on a digital camera.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,065 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2017 05:36 |  #3

So just what does this filter enhance?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,287 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2017 06:41 |  #4

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18529231 (external link)
Since it's just a colored filter, I'd imagine it'd be easier to adjust those tones in post. A selective color adjustment layer in Ps can do the same thing with more control. Otherwise, sure, you could use it on a digital camera.

Lacking a nown database of information about specific filters and whether or not they can be emulated well in software, one really needs to try it both ways, and see if you can get the same effect in post-processing.

My guess is that gentle filters are easily emulated, but those that cause drastic changes in sensitivity within a single color channel are not easily emulated.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,203 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by msowsun. (2 edits in all)

Jan 01, 2018 09:40 |  #5

saea501 wrote in post #18529278 (external link)
So just what does this filter enhance?

http://www.tiffen.com …ame=filters&ite​mnum=77EF1 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ENHANCING® Filter
Makes reds, rust browns and oranges "pop", with minimal effect on other colors. Perfect for fall foliage, earthtone rock formations, architecture, woodwork, faded rustic barns and any photos where red, brown and orange subjects should be enriched or appear more intense.

-Exclusive Tiffen filter
-Creates brighter, more saturated reds, rust browns and oranges
-Use with Polarizer for dramatic outdoor effects
-Also available in DV Scenic ENHANCING Kit 3

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,203 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by msowsun. (4 edits in all)

Jan 01, 2018 09:44 |  #6

pcjack wrote in post #18529228 (external link)
I have used a Tiffen enhancing filter a lot over the last few years for sunrises and sunsets with a Nikon film camera and it is fantastic.I believe that I will be able to use it with a digital camera ( Nikon ) in the manual mode,which I have not tried YET.As far as I know you can't use it in the auto mode.Does anyone have any input on this,THANKS

I see no reason why it wouldn't work in Auto modes on a Digital SLR camera. The filter will darken the image by about 1 stop, but there is no need for exposure compensation.

Q: What is an enhancing filter?

A: The exclusive Tiffen Enhancing filter makes reds, oranges, and rust browns “pop” with minimal effect on other colors. It would be a great choice for shooting fall foliage, especially when used in combination with a Tiffen Circular Polarizer. The exclusive Tiffen Enhancing filter has a filter factor of 1, meaning that you open up one f/stop from the indicated reading when using a separate handheld exposure meter. Through-lens metering systems adjust automatically to compensate for the exposure.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

420 views & 0 likes for this thread
Enhancer/intensifier filters
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.