Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 17:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

PEAK DESIGN - CAPTURE PRO

Cham_001
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Dec 30, 2017 17:30 |  #1

Hello all :-P

Anyone here using this 'clip & bracket' system? :

https://www.peakdesign​.com/product/clips/cap​ture/ (external link)

does it really work?
is it worth the money?

my thinking is that it will help free my backpack to store the assortment of accessories that invariably are 'left-at-home'.

Thoughts, experiences or recommendations anyone?

Thanks....

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links
PhotogNY
591 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Lawn Guyland, Noo Yawk
Dec 30, 2017 18:06 |  #2

Yes and yes. It's really awesome if you're walking around for long periods of time with your camera. I'd never make it through a theme park alive without it.

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

wunhang
656 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Dec 30, 2017 18:12 |  #3

I like the capture system for holding a second camera or having a camera holstered "ready" during a hike on my backpack strap. I've used it since its first iteration from kickstarter. It works as advertised. I've used it to hold onto a 5D2 with the 70-200 F/4 IS mounted (facing down on a backpack shoulder strap).

They've refined the system so that it clicks in a lot easier and slimmer in profile, but it hasn't changed much from that first iteration. If you're using it as a holster style on a belt, I would suggest getting the pro pad as it really works best "sliding in" downward facing. It may not click in always and if you use it sideways (like you would on a belt), it might slide out.

The only drawback is that you must use their plates on the camera which may not always be the way you work - grips and L-plates torque the thing pretty badly and may not be comfortable.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 30, 2017 18:35 |  #4

I had it for awhile but sold it. I think it's strength is really for small and light camera/lens combo, but since I use 70-200 and 100-400L lenses the most when I'm shooting outdoors, it didn't really work for me. I'd still recommend it if you're planning on using it with something light, but for heavy stuff, I much prefer the Cotton Carrier Vest.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,576 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 31, 2017 03:46 |  #5

wunhang wrote in post #18529671 (external link)
The only drawback is that you must use their plates on the camera which may not always be the way you work - grips and L-plates torque the thing pretty badly and may not be comfortable.

So far the ONLY thing I dislike about my new Capture v3. have a L bracket on my 5D Mark Iv, and I actually find it acceptably comfortable with either my 16-35 F4 or 70-200 F4, but just today I noticed that capture plate had rotated on my L bracket. It caused the fit and hang of the camera to be different and less comfortable, but also worries me about security. That's a single point of failure - forget about the strength of the clip itself.

So far I am using my existing PD leash attached to it and another point on my backpack just for added safety, especially when intentionally unclipped... so I guess we'll see how it goes!

If I wasn't using my L bracket, it'd be the bomb! But I have that bracket on 90% of the time and do NOT want to compromise on removing it. Wonder if I could better secure the Capture plate to it in a non-permanent way...

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Dec 31, 2017 06:00 |  #6

So when you're using this thing....when you take the camera off to shoot then the camera then is just in your hands, that is, no strap? So you could potentially drop it?

That was probably the biggest reason I stopped using the Spider system. I don't trust myself. :-(

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Dec 31, 2017 06:52 |  #7

This is also high on my wishlist and very interested what people have to say about it. Just replaced the blackrapid with their strap system and I am impressed about quality and usability.

saea501 wrote in post #18529915 (external link)
So when you're using this thing....when you take the camera off to shoot then the camera then is just in your hands, that is, no strap? So you could potentially drop it?

There is no reason not to add a safety strap to the camera to prevent accidental drops. It's not part of the clip and bracket system.

Donate if you love POTN

wunhang
656 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Dec 31, 2017 11:49 |  #8

I have the Peak Capture plate on the bottom of my camera and the Peak Clutch handstrap to secure the camera to my hand when it isn't in the "holster" so-to-speak. There are small cutouts on each corner of the plate that allows for usage of their anchor system or any strap that can thread through the hole. I can use the other corner to hold a strap if I wanted extra security/strap capability. I attach the anchor to the backside holes so that it interferes less with the slide action of the capture.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Dec 31, 2017 16:09 as a reply to PhotogNY's post |  #9

hehehe, thanks for that! - I'll get my Order placed on Tuesday

;-)a

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Dec 31, 2017 16:14 as a reply to wunhang's post |  #10

From now on (realistically early Jan 2018) - I will only be using a 5D iv and the 24-70mm L USM ii whilst on 'walk-about'
(My backpack will hold only one other lens and varied accessories).
I am 'dumping' all my excessive gear. I want to be 'free' from the torment of 'stuff'.

I don't mind sticking with proprietary gear, my concern and requirement is that the gear must work!

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Dec 31, 2017 16:17 as a reply to SYS's post |  #11

So, you think that this clip-bracket system is fine for 'light-weight' kit only.
I watched the video and was impressed by how simply and quickly the camera was available to shoot with. :idea:
I am hoping that just a 5D iv with a 24-70mm attached will be secure. ?

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Dec 31, 2017 16:23 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #12

I have no idea what this 'L'-Bracket thingy is ?
Do I need this for my 5D iv and if so, where do I source it from ?
So, a 5D iv with a 24-70mm is an OK weight for the Capture Pro to handle ?

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Dec 31, 2017 16:24 as a reply to wunhang's post |  #13

OK, so for added security and peace-of-mind, a strap is recommended. Thanks for the heads-up.
Will research some more on this!

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 31, 2017 17:23 |  #14

Cham_001 wrote in post #18530380 (external link)
So, you think that this clip-bracket system is fine for 'light-weight' kit only.
I watched the video and was impressed by how simply and quickly the camera was available to shoot with. :idea:
I am hoping that just a 5D iv with a 24-70mm attached will be secure. ?

I wouldn't recommend it for your 5D IV and 24-70. I have 5D III and 24-70, as well, and for something as heavy as this set up, I'd only go with my Cotton Carrier Vest. For indoor studio work, I use my SpiderPro. Either way, I always have a safety tether.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

ChrisHeathcote
Joined Oct 2013
Derbyshire
Jan 01, 2018 05:48 |  #15

I’m not sure what everyone is getting at with regards to the weight, I have used the Capture Pro with a gripped 5d3 and Sigma 120-300 Sport, the only thing I would say about this combo is its a large lump hanginging off your shoulder strap. The only time I ever had a lens drop was when the ball pin unscrewed itself from the tripod collar of my lens causing my 120-300 to fall from waist height onto concrete. Fortunately its built like a tank and the only damage was a slightly mis-shapen filter thread ( I was using a Spider Pro Holster).

With regards to a safety tether, I would recommend using one. I use a Optech Uniloop with 1 end attached to 1 of the strap lugs on the body and the other to a D-Ring on the shoulder strap of my backpack.

sponsored links

791 views & 13 likes for this thread
PEAK DESIGN - CAPTURE PRO
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.