Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jan 2018 (Monday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are some things you ask or test when buying a used lens?

takadakeyo
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 01, 2018 20:48 |  #1

Greetings,
I have bought a few lenses before and asked the normal questions and checked for the normal wear. But when buying a more expensive lens like L lenses, ect. What are some more in-depth things you check or ask? Especially for older version 1 L lenses.

Normally I ask stuff like:
-Did it have a filter on for the whole life of the lens?
-are you the first owner?
-has it ever been repaired?

And I check things like
-scratches or fungus on the glass
-any wobble of any of the parts
-smooth and fast AF
-any damage to filter threads on the lens

What else do you normally check?

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,539 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2018 23:36 |  #2

If the lens has IS, how well does it work?
Does it make any unusual noise when in use?

Also ask the seller if the lens can be returned if it malfunctions.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,407 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2018 01:02 |  #3

"Why are you selling it?"

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Canon ­ Bob
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2018 02:51 |  #4

"Do you have the original purchase receipt or did you steal it?"

1Dx2 (2), 5DSR, 1D4, 5D2(590nm), 5D2(720nm) EF600 EF400 EF300-II EF300 EF200 EF200-II EF180L EF135L EF100 EF85-II EF50L TS-E17/4 TS-E24L-II TS-E45 TS-E90 MP-E65 EF70-200-II EF24-70/2.8-II EF16-35/4 EF8-15/4 EF11-24/4 Zeiss 15/2.8 21/2.8 25/2 28/2 35/1.4 35/2 50/2 85/1.4 100/2 135/2 T/C's L-SC & a WIFE!

chuckmiller
553 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 02, 2018 04:01 |  #5

I check the aperture blades function at each f-stop.

nordlysBW
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 02, 2018 12:03 |  #6

I like to look at (and get a copy of) the original bill, appreciate if I can get the Canon box as this makes things easier when I sell the lens later in my country. When I buy on a national photo forum instead of getting the chance to meet people face to face, I like to browse through some of the threads the seller posted in and take into consideration the number of posts, a way to weed out black sheep or fly-by-night operators. When the price seems absurdly low I look elsewhere and don't even waste time asking questions.

takadakeyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 02, 2018 17:41 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #7

Ah yes listening to strange sounds is also a must

takadakeyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 02, 2018 17:43 as a reply to  @ Canon Bob's post |  #8

I actually had to ask that once when I met a guy to buy a lens. He said he knew nothing about cameras and his friend gave him the very expensive L lens. I walked away and told all my photography friends incase they knew someone who was "missing" a lens

takadakeyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 02, 2018 17:44 as a reply to  @ chuckmiller's post |  #9

Oh good idea! I never checked that and I really should

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,539 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 02, 2018 19:03 |  #10

One more thing to consider...I've read that some older lenses are no longer being serviced by Canon. That may or may not play a role in your buying decision.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

takadakeyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 03, 2018 00:33 |  #11

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18532028 (external link)
One more thing to consider...I've read that some older lenses are no longer being serviced by Canon. That may or may not play a role in your buying decision.

Yes Canon service here does not CLA or repair anything over 10 years old

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,747 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 03, 2018 00:52 |  #12

takadakeyo wrote in post #18532235 (external link)
Yes Canon service here does not CLA or repair anything over 10 years old

Are you sure abut this? I mean, I have never heard of service being offered based solely on the age of a lens. . It is normally based on whether a lens has been discontinued or not, and how long ago the model (or version) was discontinued. . There are current lenses that have been around for well over 10 years, and according to what you have said, Canon service would refuse to service the ones that were made over 10 years ago, even though they are the very latest, most current model.

You may want to look into that deeper to confirm what you have said here, because it seems to me that you may have your facts mixed up.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

cristphoto
868 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 04, 2018 10:47 |  #13

If they don’t have a dated sales receipt you can check the date code on the lens mount (two letters followed by four numbers). That tells when the lens was manufactured.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

nordlysBW
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 05, 2018 11:20 as a reply to  @ cristphoto's post |  #14

Yes, but the interest of the sales receipt or detailed bill is that it also can give you a clue about who the owner is and might guard you against a fraudulent sale.

sponsored links

2,594 views & 3 likes for this thread
What are some things you ask or test when buying a used lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.