Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 13:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What types of photography grabs your attention?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jan 02, 2018 13:03 |  #1

I like "then-and-now" photos. The "this is downtown in 1920 and this is downtown now" type photos.

But I really like aerial photos. The Google Earth type. Whenever I see one I can study it for hours... if I had the time.

And if you show me historical aerial photos side-by-side? Oh... I am completely enraptured. I love seeing how things have changed over time.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 02, 2018 13:47 |  #2

I like photos of scantily clad young women. I like them even more if they are weight-lifters.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 02, 2018 13:53 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18531780 (external link)
I like photos of scantily clad young women.

You read my mind.

I like them even more if they are weight-lifters.

Then you went off on your own tangent.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 02, 2018 14:08 |  #4

I like photos of scantily clad young women.

Me too! . . These photos grab my attention more than any others.

I like them even more if they are weight-lifters.

Oh, no - that is a huge turn-off for me. . I like them when their bodies are soft and shapely, not hard, toned, or muscular.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Bassat
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Bassat.
Jan 02, 2018 14:09 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18531787 (external link)
You read my mind.

Then you went off on your own tangent.

Here is where I have to admit to being a bit biased. I have work(ed) with three ladies who were competitive weight lifters. They were generally NOT scantily clad at work. The attractiveness of it, to me, is the picture of physical fitness it presents, and the air of confidence they exude. Fitness and confidence are attractive. I may also be slightly influenced by the fact that my wife is a weight lifter, though not competitive.

Tom

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 02, 2018 14:09 |  #6

BW darkroom prints from film negatives...
Then and also now. :)

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5783/31327677385_41fbe7b13f_n.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PJjx​3H] (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Bassat
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 02, 2018 14:18 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18531793 (external link)
Me too! . . These photos grab my attention more than any others.

Oh, no - that is a huge turn-off for me. . I like them when their bodies are soft and shapely, not hard, toned, or muscular.

I believe we are referring to two different types of bodies. The ladies I am talking about are power lifters. They tend to remain soft and shapely, and most certainly feminine. My guess is that you are thinking body builders, who for the most part, look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, or JCVD. I think that the over-done body builder look is as unattractive on men as it is on women.

Note:
I just googled female body builder and female power lifter. There is more overlap than I expected, but you should be able to see quite a difference.

Tom

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 02, 2018 21:06 |  #8

Agree that photos of a beautiful woman are always nice to look at.

Also I really love the miniature cityscape look that can be created with a tilt shift lens and landscape photos with snow or water.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Jan 02, 2018 21:48 |  #9

Casual-environmental portraits are my absolute favorite. The photos in this article and video are great: https://petapixel.com ...rapher-shoot-8x10-camera/ (external link) They're not technical or fancy in any way, but they're really casual looking (because shooting 8x10 film is probably not a causal process) and they're fairly simple. Just a photo of a person in their environment; love it!

Landscape photography with a standard(ish) lens is my second favorite. The ultrawide angle lenses don't do it for me personally, but landscapes on lenses from 35mm-85mm are awesome. Maybe it's because I don't understand how to correctly use a ultra wide angle, but I also just like the look of it.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4 - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii
Ricoh GRii

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Ah-keong.
Jan 02, 2018 21:58 |  #10

Currently I am on a learning landscapes project, so I would pay more attention on wide angle landscapes and currently more into telephoto landscapes with long duration (6-stop, 10-stop, etc)....

:p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

teekay
Goldmember
2,666 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jan 02, 2018 22:15 |  #11

Street photography, because I'm not good at it and admire those who are.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 02, 2018 23:06 |  #12

I'm quite partial to infra-red photography.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 02, 2018 23:26 |  #13

photoguy6405 wrote in post #18531741 (external link)

I like "then-and-now" photos.

But I really like aerial photos.

This makes me wonder, is this thread supposed to be about what we like, or is it supposed to be about what grabs our attention?

For me, these are two completely different things, as the stuff I like most (wildlife) doesn't necessarily grab my attention, and the stuff that grabs my attention isn't the kind of photography that I like to do.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jan 03, 2018 00:14 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18532196 (external link)
This makes me wonder, is this thread supposed to be about what we like, or is it supposed to be about what grabs our attention?

For me, these are two completely different things, as the stuff I like most (wildlife) doesn't necessarily grab my attention, and the stuff that grabs my attention isn't the kind of photography that I like to do.

I think of them as the same thing, but ok.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 03, 2018 00:40 |  #15

photoguy6405 wrote in post #18532223 (external link)
I think of them as the same thing, but ok.

Oh, well in that case ......

Like I said earlier, the photography that grabs my attention the most are images of attractive, scantily clad, young women. . Or actually any photo of a woman with a really hot looking face, even if she is not scantily clad. . Photos of extremely gory crimescenes, accidents, etc., also grab my attention almost as much as those of the hot young women.

The photography that I like the most is wildlife photography. . Mammals the very most, followed by birds and herps.

sponsored links

1,243 views & 18 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.