Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 08:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?

SixDeeFan
253 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Irvine, CA
Jan 03, 2018 08:28 |  #1

Is this really the worst camera of 2017?

https://fstoppers.com ...-worst-camera-2017-209420 (external link)

6D MARK II | EF 50 f/1.2L USM | EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

sponsored links
PJJ205
210 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Jan 03, 2018 08:54 |  #2

I have a lot of hobbies, from sports to photography. I’ve never seen a community so obsessed with having “superior” gear and putting down other companies products as I have within photography communities. Every single day I come across some idiotic comment about how inferior so-and-so’s products are compared to their own and how so-and-so is crap, but half the people that say these things don’t dare share their own images or show anything that leads me to believe that they have even actually owned, used, or seen any of the products or companies that they are bashing. Basically, take this stuff with a grain of salt. If you are happy with what you have and know what it can do, a bunch of random strangers that are looking for validation online shouldn’t sway your opinion. I’ve never seen or used a 6DII, but I’m not going to assume that it is straight garbage just because the internet says it is.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Jan 03, 2018 09:18 |  #3

If you're happy with it, good! It does fall behind in dynamic range, and that would certainly prevent me from choosing it, but it does well in other areas as far as I know.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

eddieb1
707 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Jan 03, 2018 11:01 |  #4

PJJ205 wrote in post #18532399 (external link)
I have a lot of hobbies, from sports to photography. I’ve never seen a community so obsessed with having “superior” gear and putting down other companies products as I have within photography communities. Every single day I come across some idiotic comment about how inferior so-and-so’s products are compared to their own and how so-and-so is crap, but half the people that say these things don’t dare share their own images or show anything that leads me to believe that they have even actually owned, used, or seen any of the products or companies that they are bashing. Basically, take this stuff with a grain of salt. If you are happy with what you have and know what it can do, a bunch of random strangers that are looking for validation online shouldn’t sway your opinion. I’ve never seen or used a 6DII, but I’m not going to assume that it is straight garbage just because the internet says it is.

It does get a bit ridiculous when a camera is the best thing since sliced bread one month, and the following month is junk just because a new model comes out. Trying to keep up with new equipment is a fast and easy way to go bankrupt.

Snydremark
Myth-informed
18,002 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 03, 2018 11:23 |  #5

PJJ205 wrote in post #18532399 (external link)

It's funny you should say that; I was just having a conversation yesterday, with a coworker, about how this is such a great time to be getting into digital photography. The cameras have come such a long way, that outside of narrowly defined types of shooting, there's really no wrong answer for "what camera should I get?". All of the major manufacturers are producing highly capable bodies, great and purposeful lens selections can be had from either 1st or 3rd party manufacturers and the number of software processing options out there is huge.

All of the "this body's crap", etc are so subjective that they're really just measurebation issues at this point. The cameras and sensors have reached a point that most of the time, the performance issues are things that aren't even measurable by the average user and only noticed by the folks with a high, particular demand. It's really rather astonishing to me.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

soeren
85 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Jan 03, 2018 11:36 |  #6

I dont think it's titled so because its crap. Its just to few and to small breadcrums at to high a price. Being outperformed by older offerings doesn't help either. That said it might still be a very capeable camera delivering magnificent image guality

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Jan 03, 2018 12:06 |  #7

A significant proportion of internet posters are almost entirely fixated on the easily measurable technical aspects of any camera's performance. If those things that can easily be counted are what is most important to you, you will arrive at something like the conclusion that the F-Stoppers article writer came to.

Some of those measurable differences in camera performance will be genuinely important to some photographers. But we have got to the point where, for most, these relatively small differences do not actually matter as long as you have some basic photographic skills and are not habitually making crazily large exposure errors.

Other aspects of camera performance like ergonomics, menu design, weather proofing and general robustness, focusing performance, colour rendering, reliability, maintenance service, available glass (and prices), etc. are much harder to measure and just get left out of the 'Top Trumps' thinking that these posters seem to have. It could be, if all these elements were somehow thrown into the mix, an objective reviewer would arrive at the same overall conclusion. We will never know.

Anyway ... first, find me an objective reviewer.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

soeren
85 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Jan 03, 2018 12:15 |  #8

DaviSto wrote in post #18532538 (external link)
A significant proportion of internet posters are almost entirely fixated on the easily measurable technical aspects of any camera's performance. If those things that can easily be counted are what is most important to you, you will arrive at something like the conclusion that the F-Stoppers article writer came to.

Some of those measurable differences in camera performance will be genuinely important to some photographers. But we have got to the point where, for most, these relatively small differences do not actually matter as long as you have some basic photographic skills and are not habitually making crazily large exposure errors.

Other aspects of camera performance like ergonomics, menu design, weather proofing and general robustness, focusing performance, colour rendering, reliability, maintenance service, available glass (and prices), etc. are much harder to measure and just get left out of the 'Top Trumps' thinking that these posters seem to have. It could be, if all these elements were somehow thrown into the mix, an objective reviewer would arrive at the same overall conclusion. We will never know.

Anyway ... first, find me an objective reviewer.

Im objective, Ill write anything and any opinion youre willing to pay for :D

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Jan 03, 2018 13:23 |  #9

soeren wrote in post #18532542 (external link)
Im objective, Ill write anything and any opinion youre willing to pay for :D

That's reassuring to know. ;-)a

David.

normware
Joined Apr 2014
Ottawa Canada
Jan 03, 2018 13:30 |  #10

No.... You made a mistake of reading the fstoppers article. It was a re-hash of all the articles that came out immediately after the 6d MKII was released. Nothing new was added.

When the 6D MKII came out it had what I was looking for Dual Pixel CMOS swivel screen better network connection NFC and a few other things but mainly I was looking for a FF camera.

All the reviews I have read about it said it was not a good upgrade from the 6D. Maybe. But I was looking to upgrade from my 70D.

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 03, 2018 15:28 |  #11

The articles real purpose is merely to increase traffic for ad revenue.

The 6D2 is not the champion of anything with the current competition, but it's hardly the worst camera, that's obvious hyperbole to the point of being unintelligent.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 1 month ago by DaviSto.
Jan 03, 2018 15:57 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #12

This much is certainly true. Times must be hard on that site. How low is FStoppers prepared to go, I wonder?

Undoubtedly, far far lower, I am afraid.

David.

soeren
85 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post has been edited 1 month ago by soeren.
Jan 03, 2018 15:59 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #18532677 (external link)
The articles real purpose is merely to increase traffic for ad revenue.

The 6D2 is not the champion of anything with the current competition, but it's hardly the worst camera, that's obvious hyperbole to the point of being unintelligent.

Very best,

Depends on criteria. Could have been the greatest Canon have ever achieved but if everything else was still better achievements......... And the other news of the year seem to have been great, besiddes it wasn't worst camera overall just worst new camera of 2017

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 03, 2018 19:00 |  #14

I agree that the article was definitely just to draw attention and gain clicks. I did a quick search on their website, and not surprisingly, I did not find a "Worst camera of 2016" (or 2015,2014, etc..)

I don't have one yet (it is due to arrive on Friday), but from everything I have read, the DR is very close to the 5DIII, and original 6D. I used to own the 5DIII, and if you look through my gallery you will see that I managed to do just fine with it. For my type of photography, I think it will do just fine for me.

I do believe Canon messed up with the original pricing for the 6DII, but they seemed to have corrected that recently. Maybe a more realistic article would have been "Worst camera value of 2017".

It's funny when people dream up specs for an upcoming release, they expect the world, and when that doesn't happen they want to get all upset. For some people having the most DR possible would be their number 1 priority. For them, I would say this is not the camera for them. That doesn't make it bad for everyone else though.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 03, 2018 19:05 |  #15

I'm confident that 99% of the people screaming about the dynamic range "issues" actually never lift shadows or pull highlights. Ever. And don't even benefit from the technology gains.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

14,136 views & 245 likes for this thread
6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.