Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 09:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice needed for Grand Canyon trip

fishbio
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 03, 2018 09:17 |  #1

My family and I will be traveling to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon this March. This will be our first visit to the area. We will be flying into Phoenix and renting a car. We would also like to visit the Page (Horseshoe Bend, etc.) and Sedona areas. I am mainly interested in shooting interesting landscapes, including as many sunrise/sunsets as I can.

I would like some advice on how to split our time to maximize photo opportunities. We have a total of seven nights to spend in the area and I've already booked the first two nights in the Grand Canyon. Should I book a third night at the canyon? How would you split seven nights between GC, Page, and Sedona? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

John
6D, 70D, T2i, EF-S 15-85, EF 16-35 4.0, EF 35 2.0 IS, EF 135 2.0, EF 24-105, EF 70-200 4.0 IS, EF 400 5.6, Canon 580 EX, 430 EX.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,569 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 03, 2018 15:34 |  #2

Did almost this exact trip last Spring. PM me and I can supply more details.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,569 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 04, 2018 03:20 |  #3

Google "Grand Canyon Photography" for some photography based tips like the two below.

https://www.outdoorpho​tographer.com ...ips-for-the-grand-canyon/ (external link)

https://loadedlandscap​es.com ...canyon-photography-guide/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,384 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 04, 2018 10:20 |  #4

With only a week in AZ I would leave out the trip to Page...you would be spending about 7 hours just in driving time (roundtrip) going to Page from South Rim of Grand Canyon, in addition to the 8-9 hour roundtrip from Phoenix to GC. If you had 8-10 days in AZ, I would be less hesitant to visit Page, as the Glen Canyon dam tour and the Antelope Canyon slot canyon trips on foot or on a boat on Lake Powell are worthwhile visits.
With 7 hours less driving, that allows a bit more leisurely pace for GC and for Sedona, plus time to poke around Phoenix environs.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,569 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 04, 2018 11:00 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #18533192 (external link)
With only a week in AZ I would leave out the trip to Page...you would be spending about 7 hours just in driving time (roundtrip) going to Page from South Rim of Grand Canyon, in addition to the 8-9 hour roundtrip from Phoenix to GC. If you had 8-10 days in AZ, I would be less hesitant to visit Page, as the Glen Canyon dam tour and the Antelope Canyon slot canyon trips on foot or on a boat on Lake Powell are worthwhile visits.
With 7 hours less driving, that allows a bit more leisurely pace for GC and for Sedona, plus time to poke around Phoenix environs.

Wilt makes a good point with respect to Page, reinforced at https://www.tripadviso​r.com ...ational_Park_Arizon​a.html (external link), but I would not spend any time "poking around the Phoenix environs." Having done this trip twice in the last two years, I can say the sooner you leave Phoenix the better. As a starter, the traffic is horrendous!

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 04, 2018 13:32 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18533192 (external link)

Thanks for your input, Wilt. Our current plan is to stay the first three nights at GC, then probably two nights each at Page and Sedona. I would like to photograph Horseshoe Bend, and possibly Antelope Canyon, although I'm not sure the I want to deal with the crowd at Antelope.

John
6D, 70D, T2i, EF-S 15-85, EF 16-35 4.0, EF 35 2.0 IS, EF 135 2.0, EF 24-105, EF 70-200 4.0 IS, EF 400 5.6, Canon 580 EX, 430 EX.

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 04, 2018 13:41 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18533221 (external link)
Wilt makes a good point with respect to Page, reinforced at https://www.tripadviso​r.com ...ational_Park_Arizon​a.html (external link), but I would not spend any time "poking around the Phoenix environs." Having done this trip twice in the last two years, I can say the sooner you leave Phoenix the better. As a starter, the traffic is horrendous!

Our flight is scheduled to land in Phoenix at about 11:00 am. According to Mapquest, we will have about a four hour drive from the airport to South Rim GC. I'm a little worried about traffic delays getting out of Phoenix. Hopefully things will go smoothly and we will get to the canyon well before dark.

John

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,569 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 13 days ago by John from PA.
Jan 04, 2018 15:01 |  #8

fishbio wrote in post #18533362 (external link)
Our flight is scheduled to land in Phoenix at about 11:00 am.

That time of day you should have heavy but well moving traffic. Probably with in about 20 miles you should be moving at the speed limit +++ and on your way.

davinci953
191 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 04, 2018 15:04 |  #9

fishbio wrote in post #18533362 (external link)
Our flight is scheduled to land in Phoenix at about 11:00 am. According to Mapquest, we will have about a four hour drive from the airport to South Rim GC. I'm a little worried about traffic delays getting out of Phoenix. Hopefully things will go smoothly and we will get to the canyon well before dark.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the traffic at that time of the day. There's going to be traffic (just because it's Phoenix), but it doesn't start to get really heavy until about 3:00 pm. Just get onto I-17 and head north as soon as you can.

Wilt
39,384 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 04, 2018 18:42 as a reply to fishbio's post |  #10

If you do not take the 'official guided tours' of Antelope Canyon, you can save tremendous $$$ over the 'photographer tours' and encounter virtually no crowds by driving to Navajo-operated tours at the cave entrances. Simply drive to intersection of Hwy 98 and Indian Road 222 (which goes to a marina on Lake Powell), and on IR22 a short distance from the junction on the left side of the road (heading toward the lake) will be the wood buildings of two competing Navajo-led tours of the slot canyon. We went to the business on the left (looking from the road) and were thoroughly delighted by our tour guide, a grandmother named Daisy (who herself was having fun taking photos in the ever changing slot canyon)

Daisy guiding tour thru slot canyon

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/SlotCanyon-2585_zpsnu2oiwel.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 04, 2018 20:53 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18533570 (external link)
If you do not take the 'official guided tours' of Antelope Canyon, you can save tremendous $$$ over the 'photographer tours' and encounter virtually no crowds by driving to Navajo-operated tours at the cave entrances. Simply drive to intersection of Hwy 98 and Indian Road 222 (which goes to a marina on Lake Powell), and on IR22 a short distance from the junction will be the wood buildings of two competing Navajo-led tours of the slot canyon.

Thanks Wilt. That sounds like a great plan.

John

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,466 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jan 05, 2018 06:16 |  #12

Some great info in this thread.

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 06, 2018 08:38 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #18533570 (external link)
If you do not take the 'official guided tours' of Antelope Canyon, you can save tremendous $$$ over the 'photographer tours' and encounter virtually no crowds by driving to Navajo-operated tours at the cave entrances. Simply drive to intersection of Hwy 98 and Indian Road 222 (which goes to a marina on Lake Powell), and on IR22 a short distance from the junction on the left side of the road (heading toward the lake) will be the wood buildings of two competing Navajo-led tours of the slot canyon. We went to the business on the left (looking from the road) and were thoroughly delighted by our tour guide, a grandmother named Daisy (who herself was having fun taking photos in the ever changing slot canyon)

Daisy guiding tour thru slot canyon
QUOTED IMAGE

We will likely be in Page around March 9-10, which apparently is a little too early in the year to see light beams in the upper canyon. I am fine with missing the beams, but I am curious about the light levels in the canyon. Should we visit around midday, when light levels are greater? I am willing to go either early or late in the day (to avoid crowds) as long as light levels are adequate. I'll have a 6D with 16-35L f4. Will I be able to take a tripod, or will I have to shoot handheld? Thanks!

John

Wilt
39,384 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 06, 2018 16:25 as a reply to fishbio's post |  #14

When we went to Page, we weren't on an intense photography trip, I only carried my Canon S95 along and played snapshooter for the most part. The S95 is limited to ISO 1600 for reasonable high ISO, and I got along just fine without higher ISO nor a tripod. So if you bring a dSLR from the last few years, with its five-digit ISO capability, I think you would be fine. You do not have endless amounts of time for setting up and taking down tripods, especially if you need to wait your turn after another tripod-lugging photographer; and while you might not be rushed along, you don't have too much idle time before the group moves on to the next point.

davinci953
191 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 10 days ago by davinci953.
Jan 06, 2018 17:01 |  #15

fishbio wrote in post #18534776 (external link)
We will likely be in Page around March 9-10, which apparently is a little too early in the year to see light beams in the upper canyon. I am fine with missing the beams, but I am curious about the light levels in the canyon. Should we visit around midday, when light levels are greater? I am willing to go either early or late in the day (to avoid crowds) as long as light levels are adequate. I'll have a 6D with 16-35L f4. Will I be able to take a tripod, or will I have to shoot handheld? Thanks!

I'm not recommending the following tour company, but they require a tripod on some of the tours. Some of the information on the web site might be helpful for you. A friend passed along the information a few months ago when I was planning a trip to northern Arizona. I didn't have time for the canyons, so I don't have personal experience with the company. The reviews overall are positive. There are also some negative reviews that seem to be somewhat consistent in what they're reporting. Sometimes it comes down to the tour guide that you're with who can make or break the experience.

https://www.navajoante​lopecanyon.com/Photo.a​sp (external link)

sponsored links

450 views & 6 likes for this thread
Advice needed for Grand Canyon trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.