Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Routers

showtm490
844 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined May 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by showtm490.

Jan 04, 2018 19:27 |  #1

The house I live in is roughly 1800sq ft and the router I have now is a Arris 5BG6580 that the cable company gave me when I signed up. The problem is, it's on one end of the house but the range starts dying out around 25ft. By the time you get to the other end of the house it's a hit/miss if you have wi-fi service. Any recommendations under $125?

We are running two desktops, tablets, phones & a laptop.

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

sponsored links
Jethr0
846 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 04, 2018 19:42 |  #2

I have had consistent problems with internet provider modem wifi.

I fixed it with an Apple AirPort Extreme wifi access point connected to the modem with a cat 6 cable, and an additional airport express wirelessly bridged to the AirPort Extreme. I get full wifi speeds over the whole house. And with all the wifi devices connected to my own permanent gear, if the provider changes or whatever my devices don’t need to change config.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by showtm490.

Jan 04, 2018 19:47 |  #3

Edit - I see it says PC also. Is it for Apple products only?

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Jan 04, 2018 19:54 |  #4

I've got an Asus dual band router that I like (and seems to have full coverage throughout my house). It has 3 antennas for fine tuning the radius. Here's an Asus model in your price range (that would have larger range then your current router):

ASUS AC1750 (external link)

They also have wifi extenders that plug into a power outlet and extend the wifi signal:

NETGEAR AC750 WiFi Range Extender (EX3700-100NAS) (external link)

Buying both is getting a little above $125.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,550 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Chet.

Jan 04, 2018 19:55 |  #5

showtm490 wrote in post #18533622 (external link)

I was wondering this as well. My Asus router is dropping 30 times a day. It must go. Only a PC house with Samsung, Roku, XBox, Nintendo products.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,821 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 04, 2018 20:03 |  #6

You may want to consider a WiFi extender. I bought one prior to the holidays, a B&H deal for $30. My home is 2000 sq feet and I was after a boost to the opposite end 2nd floor from my router. It also gave me an Ethernet port to hard wire another PC. See https://www.pcmag.com …-wireless-range-extenders (external link) for some choices and make sure you get a dual channel unit.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,291 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 04, 2018 23:18 |  #7

couple of things,
firstly before dumping your existing router it looks from the user guide that it is band selectable (2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both) so if it is currently set to 5GHz you may want to try setting it to 2.4GHz as the signal from 2.4GHz travels further which may help your situation. The 2.4GHz band is often more congested with neighbouring networks as there are fewer channels avail , so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

secondly, range extenders might help as John's suggested, but you need to keep in mind that they do so by receiving then rebroadcasting the data - effectively halving the possible throughput. Might not be an issue in your situation but I've seen people get caught out thinking they are a magic bullet and then are dissapointed by performance.
I did a Wifi survey before christmas on a house where a range extender was installed just on the fringe of existing signal, and the area of improvement was a circle about 5' diameter. (I do networking for a living, for my sins)

Can you run an ethernet cable from where the existing router is to the other end of the house? if so then you might be able to get away with a Wifi access point. If not then another thing that might be considered is a powerline kit, which relies on transmitting the data using your household mains cabling and then back out to a Wifi unit. This type of setup only works if the mains cabling is all on the same source fusebox.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,068 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2018 00:24 |  #8

I do not like range extenders. They typically have poor performance and clutter the air with more SSIDs. You really want a single, cohesive wireless network for seamless coverage across your home. This means you configure it once and settings apply house-wide and automatic handoff from access point to access point actually works. This can be accomplished with more professional grade wifi connected with Ethernet (I use Ubiquiti) or with the latest generation of consumer wireless mesh networks. Do a Google or Amazon search for mesh wifi and you'll find systems from various makers including Eero, Google, Netgear, Ubiquiti, etc. The key is that they're a system, not a kluge of brands and models.

Jethr0
846 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 05, 2018 04:39 |  #9

showtm490 wrote in post #18533622 (external link)

Works with everything in our house. Xbox, android phones, windows OS, etc.

Jethr0
846 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 05, 2018 04:42 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18533636 (external link)
You may want to consider a WiFi extender. I bought one prior to the holidays, a B&H deal for $30. My home is 2000 sq feet and I was after a boost to the opposite end 2nd floor from my router. It also gave me an Ethernet port to hard wire another PC. See https://www.pcmag.com …-wireless-range-extenders (external link) for some choices and make sure you get a dual channel unit.

I looked up the OP’s provider router and saw numerous issues with trying to bridge/extend the wifi.
I also had issues with bridging/extending provider routers which is why I built a completely separate wifi solution that works well together, and only needs a single wired connection from the router.

You don’t need to choos Apple products. I did because we already have a number of Apple devices, I use airdrop etc, and the performance and ease of config on the Apple stuff sold me.

Pippan
844 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Pippan.

Jan 05, 2018 06:59 |  #11

I also live in a large house and the walls are 2 ft thick stone, so not conducive to wifi. Years ago I plugged in two powerline extenders that use the existing household electricity wiring: one connected to a router by ethernet in the room where the signal comes in, the other in the big main room plugged into the same household electrical circuit and etherneted to another wifi device (an Apple time capsule that also backs up an iMac, but any wifi transmitter should work). It's worked a treat for years, so many that I had to scrape the dust off the top of one to see that it's a WD brand thing. I don't even know if they still make them but here (external link) is a youtube about them I found for you. If you have a large house it may have several power circuits so you need to find outlets on the same circuit, and the units have to be plugged directly into the outlet (i.e. not into a power board or double adaptor) but aside from that it's literally plug and play.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,550 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 05, 2018 08:44 |  #12

joeseph wrote in post #18533768 (external link)
couple of things,
firstly before dumping your existing router it looks from the user guide that it is band selectable (2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both) so if it is currently set to 5GHz you may want to try setting it to 2.4GHz as the signal from 2.4GHz travels further which may help your situation. The 2.4GHz band is often more congested with neighbouring networks as there are fewer channels avail , so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Now this is interesting. I live in a small house, roughly 850 sq/ft. The neighbors on either side are probably 6ft. of separation on a city residential block. Seems I see the neighbors routers better than I see my own. As all of the houses are pushing 90 years old, I figured poor reception is attributed to thick plaster walls and probably lead paint. So broadcast between floors about 30' can be abysmal at best. I probably will have to run a 2nd wifi router on our second floor to address my 1st floor router issues.

I do notice these routers run very hot. If I unplug the thing and let it "cool" for 5 minutes I get better reliability for maybe an hour. It's crazy also that Verizon 4g works better in my home then my local Time Warner/Spectrum service. Most the time I'm at home I shut of my cell phone wifi as the 4g is just that much better.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Jan 05, 2018 09:30 |  #13

You can check and see what band and channel is empty by getting a wifi analyzer (available for Android smartphones, or Windows app). Most people do not configure their router to a unique channel, so channels such as 7 or 9 might be totally congested. If the OP isn't getting any signal past 25', it could be the router hasn't aged well. Newer routers can broadcast both a 2.4 and 5GHZ SSID, so you can check internet speed on whatever device (and see if the 2.4GHZ SSID or 5GHZ band is stronger in that particular spot).

Also, wifi extenders reducing throughput by half: that's if the extender is single band (the extender is waiting for a packet, then broadcasts it, all on one channel). Here's an article on different options for wifi boosters, extenders, repeaters:

WiFi Boosters, Repeaters and Extenders (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 05, 2018 17:12 |  #14

We picked up a Linksys RE6300/6400 AC1200 but can't get it to connect. We've gone step by step several times but it never connects. Do I need to change any modem settings?

Flickr (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,068 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2018 18:12 |  #15

showtm490 wrote in post #18534351 (external link)
We picked up a Linksys RE6300/6400 AC1200 but can't get it to connect. We've gone step by step several times but it never connects. Do I need to change any modem settings?

They're probably on the same subnet which isn't going to work. Change the LAN side IP address of the new router to a different subnet, such as 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1.

sponsored links

1,367 views & 6 likes for this thread
Routers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.