Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2018 (Friday) 00:37
Search threadPrev/next

Skin Smoothing

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
1,272 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 05, 2018 00:37 |  #1

Can I get some tips on skin smoothing or refer me to a thread on it. I am doing an OK job at the moment but feel I want to step up my skills. (My skills at the moment is just using Gaussian blur but I look at some peoples work and know I can do a lot better)

Also are there any good PS actions free or inexpensive that will make my life easier? I am doing weddings and now getting asked to do headshots and really need to get better at this.

Thank you

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,645 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 05, 2018 01:35 |  #2

I followed the tutorial by Elena Jasic on frequency separation. At the time, I downloaded an action she had created that helped make it easier, but the links to her actions seem to no longer work.

Here is the Vimeo (external link) of the tutorial. It explains how to do it, but it is much easier to do it with the Photoshop action she created. If no one who is more experienced in photographing people points you in a direction that is better, this is a good starting point.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,198 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by texkam.

Jan 05, 2018 02:58 |  #3

I like this one from Phlearn.

https://youtu.be/ldhG9​fmgC7o (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,154 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 05, 2018 06:52 |  #4

Nogo wrote in post #18533824 (external link)
I followed the tutorial by Elena Jasic on frequency separation. At the time, I downloaded an action she had created that helped make it easier, but the links to her actions seem to no longer work.

Here is the Vimeo (external link) of the tutorial. It explains how to do it, but it is much easier to do it with the Photoshop action she created. If no one who is more experienced in photographing people points you in a direction that is better, this is a good starting point.

I use this as well. very helpful.

It's a shame you can't get the action any more.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2018 11:10 |  #5

Good for you for wanting to get better than just using a Gaussian blur.

Something that's important to note is that there's not a single action that will work well for every face. Real skin retouching can't be done by a handful of clicks or a quick action. You can use an action to set up layers for your frequency separation, but even this is not a universal solution; you may need to build different actions for different sizes of portrait (e.g. a headshot will need slightly different setup than a full-body shot).

The most important task to learn is to look at a portrait and identify what needs to be fixed or retouched. Is it...
- Acne?
- Heavy or uneven skin texture?
- Wrinkles?
- Uneven coloring, splotchiness, red spots?
- Shiny spots or oily skin?
- Yellow or veiny eyes?
- Hair problems such as thinning, unevenly coloration, many flyaways, distractingly bright hair part?
- ....etc

Since these things are unique to every face, and to every photo of every face, there's no one-size-fits-all action that will automatically give you high-end results.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

PhotosGuy
75,255 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 05, 2018 11:21 |  #6

If you dupe the base layer & apply the blur to it, you can use a Layer Mask (external link) to hide some of that blur & fine tune the resulting PP.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,272 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 05, 2018 19:49 |  #7

Thanks fellas.

If either of you has time to email that action to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

richardgrenfellphotogr​aphy@gmail.com

https://richardgrenfel​l.com.au/ (external link)

713 views & 1 like for this thread
Skin Smoothing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.