Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 05 Jan 2018 (Friday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you keep your photo pc offline?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,068 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2018 01:31 |  #16

tim wrote in post #18539880 (external link)
I suspect constant windows updates, plus software install and uninstalls, don't help. Windows 10 gets refreshed every 6 months or year when major updates are done, which I think disguises the problem. My Dads W10 computer needs to be refreshed though.

Assuming the new Win10 version doesn't fubar the whole computer, which happens too often. Thankfully the rollback feature works, but it's a PITA to get call that [Insert critical application] doesn't work this morning after someone installed the latest version of Win10.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,190 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 15, 2018 10:13 |  #17

There was a time when I had 7 PCs running at a time,. but that was before I got into digital photography.

I like the idea in theory, and maybe if I was doing more photography, but NOT working with clients, it would make sense. But I could not justify a standalone workstation, and if you are doing tons of photography for $$ not having it connected would add a serious amount of extra fiddling to satisfy clients needs IMHO.

My Workstation is the only PC I really use at home. The laptop comes out on occasion, but mainly it's for travel.

Back ups, and keeping all data off the C: drive is a good addition to what others have recommended.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
4,860 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 16, 2018 01:06 |  #18

I have actually run my Internet connected PC with no AV software for several years.

I regularly get emails sent to my main email from the IRS, UPS and assorted banks with "documents" attached (trojans and viruses). I never open them because I know they aren't legit (I have a secret email only used for my banks). Likewise, when friends suddenly send a one line email entitled "wow so funny" with nothing but a link I don't click it. I also don't install anything from the internet without a thorough vetting as to who it is actually from.

The truth is that AV software is great at protecting you against you being silly and exposing yourself to a known virus (or one that works in the same way as a known virus) but it won't protect you against a completely new threat. If you are the sort of person who clicks on every email link, opens every "document" or randomly downloads stuff off the internet you will get nailed and one day it will be by something your AV isn't able to stop.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Lenty007
218 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Jan 16, 2018 03:47 |  #19

After reading all of your reactions it all comes down to a good backup.

In my case a seperate offline pc works just fine but I'm realistic and just like in the movie "A devil's advocate" one day you hit a wrong button and Murphy does his work!

Happy (photo)shooting!

Alain

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
682 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2018 04:11 |  #20

Well, I'm glad to see all these responses, so thanks for all of them.

Tim, I really thought I was the only one who kept 5 backups!  :p One of them stays in my car and I keep one on my person whenever I leave the house.

nordlysBW
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2018 10:57 |  #21

With lots of backups (some kept away from home) and regular system partition cloning (using a simple docking station) I managed to keep of harm's way for decades. Windows crashes do not necessarily affect a loss of personal data if you get organised ahead of a possible crash. Ditto if a hardisk fails. I usually have the system up and running again within an hour: open the desktop, disconnect the hardisk cables, get the disk out (4 screws) insert a clone, fix the screws, reconnect the wires, close the desktop, reboot the whole rig. My most-up-to-date personal data is duplicated and thus directly available on a second disk that is inside the desktop. Other backups are of course on external disks that I rotate. When I come to think of it the risk of losing just photos (even terabytes of them) seems rather low to me when they are kept on several harddisks. And if you keep to a fairly strict synchronising and backup procedure not so much can wrong. Storing thousands of negatives and slides was always much more of a risky business in old times.

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2018 12:34 |  #22

ncjohn wrote in post #18542067 (external link)
Well, I'm glad to see all these responses, so thanks for all of them.

Tim, I really thought I was the only one who kept 5 backups!  :p One of them stays in my car and I keep one on my person whenever I leave the house.

I have one near site, one offsite, and one in cloud. There might be other temporary ones but I think that's it. I wouldn't leave backup disks in the car due to vibration, and the hard drives I use are too big to practically carry - and I'm not that paranoid.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

daleg
585 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 09, 2018 22:39 as a reply to  @ post 18539879 |  #23

while I built my workstation/desktop and have been upgrading its components for years, I've started working closely with an IT consultant - I just don't have time to keep current (too many projects, too many complexities). in addition to the typical collection of peripherals and devices that my wife and I have accumulated - we're both professionals with heavy home/office IT use, discounting laptops etc, I have my workstation, nas, and a growing number of das boxes - probably somewhere around 55-60 TB's.

my IT has talked us into working without anti-virus. haven't had an AV suite - other than MS's AV - for 2 years. rarely we have minor issues with malaware & run malawarebytes - otherwise, no issues.

then again, ymmv.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,749 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 12, 2018 03:26 |  #24

I don't see the need for keeping a computer off-line. That just creates extra work flow issues. You need to be able to work between two computers while doing work, unless of course you are working completely on editing and don't rely on haivng access to email or the internet while you are working.

A few points I think everyone should keep in mind:

• Keep your windows 10 (yes everyone should be using Win10) up to date. Updates are coming out esp when there a big bugs that can cause all sorts of issues. The idea that your typical updates will cause issues is an idea from years ago. The odds are you will have more issues not keeping your OS up to date. Win10 is stable unless you play with it.
  • get antivirus, anyone as long as it's free and is ad free. I use Windows defender as I don't need to see the need for anything more. Sure it's not considered the best but then non of them are 100% percent perfect
  • Install software that you need and nothing else.
  • Uninstall software you don't need.
  • Make a backup but only use it when you need it.
  • Use system restore as this will help when the computer for some unknown reason doens't boot.
  • Store all your data on another drive.
  • Use a SSD. There should be no reason why anyone isn't using one. If you have spent any decent amount of camera gear then you can get an SSD.
  • Keep your browser up to date. This is the same reason you keep your OS up to date. This is your interface to the web.
  • Don't open strange emails, if it looks dodgy then it more than likely is, esp attachments. Just delete, if its valid then they will send another one. (use email only in a browser if you want)

As for your work flow,

• Backup your photos,
  • Backup your photos again
  • Backup your photos and your edits again.
  • Yep having 3+ backups are important (and I don't even make money from my photography) it doesn't matter where but make sure one set is away from your home (just in case)
  • Nothing wrong with using the cloud

**NOTE** my backup is simple robocopy as I don't like how some of the backup programs work. I just want a copy of the file and not rely on a program to get my files back.

and remember don't be paranoid, just be smart. If you can learn about how to use a camera and edit a photo, you can learn the basics of how to be safe on a computer.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

rosh4u
134 posts
Joined Jun 2017

Mar 12, 2018 04:22 |  #25

I think whatever PC is used should have updated OS and there is no virus problem. Proper backup should be taken properly.

Roshni Patel Co-founder of Auto Stamper (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,291 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 13, 2018 02:06 |  #26

Mark0159 wrote in post #18583370 (external link)
The idea that your typical updates will cause issues is an idea from years ago.

Can I take it that you don't use Cisco VPN client, or even the newer Cisco Anywhere connect network manager software? both break on a regular basis after Win10 updates... :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,068 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 13, 2018 10:48 |  #27

joeseph wrote in post #18584251 (external link)
Can I take it that you don't use Cisco VPN client, or even the newer Cisco Anywhere connect network manager software? both break on a regular basis after Win10 updates... :-)

I don't use those and rarely have problems with the monthly updates, but this pace of pushing two major versions of Win10 every year needs to stop. I hold my breath every time I do one, wondering what will break on what computer. Windows is too big and complex to update that frequently, nor does it need to be.

daleg
585 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 4 days ago by daleg. (2 edits in all)

Apr 16, 2018 15:15 |  #28

Mark0159 wrote in post #18583370 (external link)
I don't see the need for keeping a computer off-line. That just creates extra work flow issues. You need to be able to work between two computers while doing work, unless of course you are working completely on editing and don't rely on haivng access to email or the internet while you are working.

A few points I think everyone should keep in mind:

• Keep your windows 10 (yes everyone should be using Win10) up to date. Updates are coming out esp when there a big bugs that can cause all sorts of issues. The idea that your typical updates will cause issues is an idea from years ago. The odds are you will have more issues not keeping your OS up to date. Win10 is stable unless you play with it.
  • get antivirus, anyone as long as it's free and is ad free. I use Windows defender as I don't need to see the need for anything more. Sure it's not considered the best but then non of them are 100% percent perfect
  • Install software that you need and nothing else.
  • Uninstall software you don't need.
  • Make a backup but only use it when you need it.
  • Use system restore as this will help when the computer for some unknown reason doens't boot.
  • Store all your data on another drive.
  • Use a SSD. There should be no reason why anyone isn't using one. If you have spent any decent amount of camera gear then you can get an SSD.
  • Keep your browser up to date. This is the same reason you keep your OS up to date. This is your interface to the web.
  • Don't open strange emails, if it looks dodgy then it more than likely is, esp attachments. Just delete, if its valid then they will send another one. (use email only in a browser if you want)

As for your work flow,

• Backup your photos,
  • Backup your photos again
  • Backup your photos and your edits again.
  • Yep having 3+ backups are important (and I don't even make money from my photography) it doesn't matter where but make sure one set is away from your home (just in case)
  • Nothing wrong with using the cloud

**NOTE** my backup is simple robocopy as I don't like how some of the backup programs work. I just want a copy of the file and not rely on a program to get my files back.

and remember don't be paranoid, just be smart. If you can learn about how to use a camera and edit a photo, you can learn the basics of how to be safe on a computer.

to "Mark0159"

good advice. anyone following your suggestions should feel reasonably secure.

keeping my main desktop computer offline? LOL. not happening. in my final days with Win7 (rebuilding my desktop & moving to W10), I'm still using Windows Security Essentials. occasionally, malawarebytes. generally, I try - when possible - to avoid viral sites like facebook, twitter, google, ebay, youtube, amazon, microsoft, etc.

I currently have two, 4 drive, jbod, enclosures - dedicated to backups of my desktop and NAS. these only spin when I turn them on. when I shut down and reboot or re-awake my desktop, the backup enclosures remain off, but within arms reach, until turned back on.

when the mood strikes (fairly often), I power up these enclosures, open a couple (file) explorer windows and drag and drop folders, photos, whatever onto the backup drives - sometimes incrementally and sometimes fresh - after deleting prior backups. the fanciest software (this is a little embarrassing, but true) used is internet explorer and sometimes teracopy 2.3 (freeware). I also have and use the old microsoft freebie (still works, google it) synctoy2.1 .

a couple years ago, I had a big-name backup "solution" - used by essentially preparing scripts to be autorun periodically - used it religiously - everything always backed up, right? then one day a 4TB black data drive would no longer come to life - under warranty but still crashed :-(.

no problem, I have a back up - right? after restoring from the backup, I discover that any folder created with a leading underscore ("_name-of-folder") was ignored and not backed up. an undocumented "feature" of this custom software. sadly, like many others, I used the underscore to order folder contents to appear at the beginning of of an alpha-numeric sorted list. thus all of my lens folders - that began with an underscore - were not backed up. surprise, surprise, surprise.

lesson learned? keep it simple.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 16, 2018 15:38 |  #29

ncjohn wrote in post #18534276 (external link)

I do not keep my photo computer offline. . It is online almost all of the time, and I visit all kinds of websites and open all of the emails I get, with never a thought about viruses.

ncjohn wrote in post #18534276 (external link)
My question really is, "If you're one of those people, do you have anti-virus on that machine? Do you keep the OS updated?"

I don't have any anti-virus software on my computer and never have. . I update the operating system from time to time, but sometimes go a year or more without doing so.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
4,860 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 18, 2018 10:07 |  #30

daleg wrote in post #18608040 (external link)
generally, I try - when possible - to avoid viral sites like facebook, twitter, google, ebay, youtube, amazon, microsoft, etc.

You realise that there is a huge difference between "viral" (as used to describe sites like Facebook and Youtube that host information/media that people want to share) and "virus" (when used to describe malicious computer code).

You have more chance of getting the Black Death from a Squirrel than you do of getting a virus from the Microsoft, Facebook or Youtube sites.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

2,141 views & 7 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.