Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 06 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 13:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Android app to record locations for future reference????

bpiper7
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
Richmond Va.
Jan 06, 2018 13:34 |  #1

Anybody us an app to record a location (GPS?) for possible photography at a more convenient or appropriate time?

Bill

billpiperphotos.comexternal link
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

wisv1k
Joined Dec 2009
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by wisv1k. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 06, 2018 14:13 |  #2

Google maps will do that. When you open maps and get your current location, long press the screen to get a pin. You can then share the pin however you like, maybe to Google Keep or notes app of your choosing. You can also save it right in Google maps if you like. Mine brings up three default lists within Google maps. You can create your own too.

BostonBay
Joined Aug 2014
On a small lake in Western Illinois
Post has been edited 1 month ago by BostonBay.
Jan 09, 2018 06:41 |  #3

I have used Google Maps as well. It works so long as you are within range of a cell tower. Frequently I am out-of-range while scouting for sites and exploring. So, what I do is ensure my cell phone's Geotagging feature is turned on and then take several photos of potential sites. I take several snapshots to avoid the possibility the phone's GPS doesn't have a solid lock. There are some apps that checks lock status; they help as well.

Anyway, most good photo management software will let you use a photo's embedded Geotag and view its location on a map.

Just a noob with a Rebel T3 (1100D).
www.ruralruins.com (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,689 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 09, 2018 18:01 |  #4

BostonBay wrote in post #18536934 (external link)
I have used Google Maps as well. It works so long as you are within range of a cell tower. Frequently I am out-of-range while scouting for sites and exploring. So, what I do is ensure my cell phone's Geotagging feature is turned on and then take several photos of potential sites. I take several snapshots to avoid the possibility the phone's GPS doesn't have a solid lock. There are some apps that checks lock status; they help as well.

Anyway, most good photo management software will let you use a photo's embedded Geotag and view its location on a map.

Enable your satellite-based GPS. To find "Location services"

Press Apps.

Press Settings.

Press Location services.

Enable GPS Satellites

Disable the GPS when you don't need it as it can be an unnecessary drain on the battery.

229 views & 2 likes for this thread
Android app to record locations for future reference????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.