Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 07 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 09:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon Admits to Slow Innovation, Pledges to Focus on 'Cutting Edge' Technology

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 07, 2018 09:21 |  #1

Interesting, see https://fstoppers.com ...ng-edge-technology-211086 (external link).

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,669 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MDJAK.
Jan 08, 2018 05:54 |  #2

Didn’t have time to view link. Appreciate you posting it. But really, they needn’t admit it. It’s quite evident. They are sitting on their heels while Sony kicks their butt. And the Nikon D850 does the same. Their lenses are still the best though and most reasonably priced and ubiquitous on the used market at even greater bargains. But that’s because people are and have fled photography to cell phones, and have fled Canon and Nikon to Sony, etc.

I did. But Sony just wasn’t for me and I’m now waiting for a D850. Hope that isn’t a mistake. We shall see.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,206 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bassat.
Jan 08, 2018 06:15 |  #3

Not everyone wants/needs cutting edge technology. I still get good results from my 5 year old 6D and way older Elan 7NE. Considering a Pentax 645. I used my Yashica FX2 (1976?) until the shutter broke in about 2005.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 08, 2018 07:41 |  #4

If they are talking about it now, the realization and efforts to adjust have been in place for some time.

And honestly, had they not put that stupid old sensor in the 6DII, and given the 5D IV better video features, this is almost a non issue.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Jan 08, 2018 07:59 |  #5

not holding my breath

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 35 f2 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Canon 100mm f2, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,788 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 5 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 09:59 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18536183 (external link)
If they are talking about it now, the realization and efforts to adjust have been in place for some time.

And honestly, had they not put that stupid old sensor in the 6DII, and given the 5D IV better video features, this is almost a non issue.

I don't think so, this is one of the few quotes taken from the interview.

Our primary management goal this year is to raise our antennas high toward cutting-edge technology. It is on this point where we lag behind other companies. We will open up a research and development center in the U.S.'s Silicon Valley, where we will actively adopt new technology.

So, it seems they are just starting to address this.

Quite frankly there just isn't alot of substance in that article or the interview to really know what is going on. :( Also, the article doesn't seem to cover DSLR or MILC, but rather cameras, generically, and security cameras and other cameras for other markets more specifically. I cannot see too much here that really matters to the photographer directly. I doubt we see too much forward movement in the DSLR and MILC offerings for a couple of years.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 08, 2018 10:13 |  #7

Does this mean full-frame mirrorless in 2018 finally?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,116 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Charlie.
Jan 08, 2018 10:17 |  #8

MDJAK wrote in post #18536147 (external link)
Didn’t have time to view link. Appreciate you posting it. But really, they needn’t admit it. It’s quite evident. They are sitting on their heels while Sony kicks their butt. And the Nikon D850 does the same. Their lenses are still the best though and most reasonably priced and ubiquitous on the used market at even greater bargains. But that’s because people are and have fled photography to cell phones, and have fled Canon and Nikon to Sony, etc.

I did. But Sony just wasn’t for me and I’m now waiting for a D850. Hope that isn’t a mistake. We shall see.

The "reasonably priced" aspect can only last so long as budget lens makers start making their presence in the mirrorless world. King of budget lens maker, samyang, has already started making AF E-mount lenses.

on top of that, as market share grows, so does demand for cheapo lenses, and it's happening already. I can witness the transformation in a few short years.

on topic, good for them, I hope Canon pushes the envelope to keep Sony honest. They need real direct competition, I was at an amusement park yesterday, and it was littered with sony Alphas, rivaling Canikon. Being from California, there tends to be a bunch of early adopters, but I'm seeing this more and where where I shoot as well (seascapes).

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,035 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 08, 2018 10:18 |  #9

It would not take a new facility in Silicon Valley for Canon to enable putting one of their EXISTING TECH current sensors in the 6DII,. that decision had NOTHING to do with lagging behind in tech, It was a stubborn choice not to even use what they already have.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,035 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 08, 2018 10:20 |  #10

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18536259 (external link)
Does this mean full-frame mirrorless in 2018 finally?

My guess would be they might have designs, let alone broken ground, on their new Silicon Valley facility in which they can further think about what they should be doing to stay competitive,.... so no,. maybe 2022?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 08, 2018 10:22 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

2022? Nikon will have theirs out in 2018/19. Canon better get with it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,995 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Jan 09, 2018 06:22 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18536152 (external link)
Not everyone wants/needs cutting edge technology. I still get good results from my 5 year old 6D and way older Elan 7NE. Considering a Pentax 645. I used my Yashica FX2 (1976?) until the shutter broke in about 2005.

Good is very subjective and heavily dependent on conditions. But a 6D is far from being an antique considering the low light focusing capability.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,788 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 12 edits done in total.
Jan 09, 2018 06:37 |  #13

The consideration of how leading edge or how old of tech something might be is also subjective.

The 6D being Canon's first entry level FF offering from almost 6 years ago muddy the water as well when performing this assessment. It is hard to tell what was purposely eliminated from the 6D when compared to other bodies and what things were excluded due to technology capabilities and costs at that time.

It is safe to say that 6D is indeed "old" in technology years however. We have had something like perhaps 10 (or more) different Canon DSLR models with a mix of new functions/features released in the era of the 6D before the 6D2 came along. The 6D2 has some of these, but lacks others, already "aging" it a bit prematurely.

I also read nothing into this article or interview that means we, the DSLR and MILC market, are going to benefit much of anything. There are many kinds of "cameras", from scanning devices, security, medical, etc. They explicitly called out one segment and didn't mention all the others. So I am hesitant to take from this article that Canon has heard our complaints about the slow pace of changes, and instead just incorporating a mishmash of features and function on new releases. It is clear Sony is moving forward with various technology, Nikon has to in order to survive, and Canon is concentrating on other market segments to increase revenue.

I definitely have seen the largest swing of members over to Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc in the last year than any prior year across 3 photo boards, so there is some sort of conclusion one can draw from that. Not that it matters to me, I really don't want to switch to Sony, I definitely am not switching to Nikon, so I will just be happy with the 5D4 and 7D2 for now as they do what I need them to do, and will wait this out. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 09, 2018 08:46 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #14

Likewise, the swing back to Canon has become much more common.

These things are never as simple as they appear when first assessed. I shot with a Nikon D750 for a year and never once considered it over my "old" 6D. The most interesting developments outside of Canon is sony mirrorless eye/subject tracking.

Canon's color rendering is still top notch and a huge benefit for many professionals who can be more profitable through less post work, and for amateurs who don't have the experience, tools and knowledge to tweak color in post.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 09, 2018 08:49 |  #15

It's just more F-stopper click-bait. Lately they seem to have a lot of these articles are filler to keep the ad traffic up. There's zero real information in this "interview." Taking a single sentence and basically twisting it to mean however you want it to be received for reaction purposes.

Anyone that's objective can see the obvious path that Canon is on, compared to the competition. There's more to it than the overall simplified categories that are mentioned here, briefly.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

1,363 views & 25 likes for this thread
Canon Admits to Slow Innovation, Pledges to Focus on 'Cutting Edge' Technology
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.