Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 07 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 20:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LR on new computer

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Jan 07, 2018 20:52 |  #1

earlier i had posted about trying to get LR on a new computer...

i got that figured out with help from the good folk here...

the question now, is ive got all of these files/edits/whatever in the "library" (i THINK) on the old computer. when i load my file system onto the new computer, these edits wont be in my library will they...

is there something i can do to save them to a flash drive in order to move them to the new computer. i went through the menus on all of the pull down tabs but im not sure if any of them will let me save the work ive done...

i havent ever done any backups so maybe this is all a moot point?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 07, 2018 21:19 |  #2

If you transfer the images to the same folder locations on the new system as the old then all you have to do is copy the catalogue.lrcat file over too, and then open that catalogue, rather than the new catalogue that was created when you did the install.

If you had multiple disks on the old system, you will need to ensure they get assigned the same drive letter.

If you can't use the same drive letters, or you are consoldating on a new larger drive, then you will need to use the find images option. If you look for an image at the highest point in a folder tree, and use the find close by, Lr should find all the images in the subfolders too.

It is always better to find all the images in the catalogue in a folder structure as close to the old one as possible. If you need to rationalise the locations then it is better to do it afterwards from within Lr.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jan 07, 2018 22:06 |  #3

Ltdave wrote in post #18535940 (external link)
the question now, is ive got all of these files/edits/whatever in the "library" (i THINK) on the old computer. when i load my file system onto the new computer, these edits wont be in my library will they...

General tips.
When moving your pics/Lightroom it is much simpler (but not essential) if you keep the same file structure. If your pics are in C:/user/yourname/pictu​res on your old machine it is simpler to put them in the same place on the new machine. Once you have moved the pictures you also need to move tha catalog.

All your edits are stored in the Lightroom catalog (original RAW files are never edited).
You can find the location of your catalog on your old machine by loading LR and going to the menu Edit > Catalog Settings and selecting the General tab. It will show the path to the catalog or just click Show and it will open the folder.

You don't need to copy the previews just the catalog.lrcat file.

When you install LR on the new machine it will create a new catalog. As before check the location of this file using the process described above, open that folder (then close Lightroom) and copy your original catalog.lrcat file into that folder (overwrite the new one if they have the same file name).

Open Lightroom and (if they two catalogs had the same name) it will open your original catalog. If they had different file names you need to swap to the original catalog. You do this by going to File > Open Catalog and navigating to the original catalog file.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Jan 08, 2018 10:04 |  #4

Personally, I've found the easiest way to transfer my LR catalog (including all images and edits) to a new computer is to first Export all of the images as a catalog (File/Export as Catalog) and then on the new computer just use File/Import from another catalog. This will bring over all images and edits into your new LR catalog. In the first step you have several options when exporting as a catalog, such as "Export selected photos only", "Include available previews".

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

282 views & 1 like for this thread
LR on new computer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.