Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Jan 2018 (Monday) 13:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Buying refurbished Canon 5D from Canon (Opinions)

k9trainer
381 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Kailua Hawaii
Jan 08, 2018 13:32 |  #1

I’m considering purchasing a refurbished Canon 5D3 or 5D4.
Has anybody purchased a refurbished Canon Body and what was your experiences?
Would your recommend refurbished?
What body would you recommend of the 2 listed?

Thanks for your help,

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

sponsored links
brucea
544 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Jan 08, 2018 13:35 |  #2

I bought a 7D and an XSi refurb from Canon. Both like new and no issues. Sold 7D but daughter still using the other one years later.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,237 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 08, 2018 13:48 |  #3

I've purchased refurbished 500D, 60D, 70D, 80D, and several lenses directly from Canon. I've never had problems with any refurbished gear.

Tom

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jan 08, 2018 14:05 |  #4

I've bought refurbished .. t4i, 80d , 5d4.. efs 24mm, 10-18, 50 1.4 , 85 1.8 35 1.4.

No problems at all.. it's almost the only way I buy canon

Dirty sensor on the 80d was the worst.. easier to clean than to send back

Canon / Fuji / Sony / Pentax (Gear subject to change by the minute )
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 08, 2018 14:07 |  #5

I purchased a refurbished 5D III a few months ago and have had no problems at all. It's like brand new. I've also purchased a few refurbished lenses and they were perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished from Canon.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 08, 2018 14:11 as a reply to scobols's post |  #6

What everybody else has said. Also, you get a 14 day return period and a full 1 year warranty.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,690 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 08, 2018 19:38 |  #7

My experience, 60D, 80D and a flsh unit. The 60D had about 45 clicks, the 80D I didn't bother to check. I sincerely doubt anyone could tell that anything was not new once out of the plain white box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 20:53 |  #8

Some people think that "refurbished" means that the gear was used for a while, then returned to Canon, and then Canon overhauls it. . 90% of the time this is simply not the case at all.

90% of the time, gear that is sold as refurbished has never been sold or used. . What happens is that Canon sends, say, 100 cameras to a retailer such as Best Buy, B&H, etc. . If the retailer doesn't sell all 100 cameras within a given time period, by contract they are able to return the unsold gear to Canon. . When this happens, Canon will not sell the gear as new, because it has left their facility and then come back. . Yes, even though the boxes have never been opened and the cameras never taken out of their sealed plastic bags, the cameras are listed as "refurbished" and sold at a big discount.

It cracks me up when someone actually thinks that a refurbished camera, or computer, or whatever, has been sold, opened, used for a while, and then traded in. . It just doesn't work that way.

Ok, some joker will come on here and post that they bought a factory refurb that had obvious signs of wear on it, and try to disprove my statement with their little anecdote. . This happens in very rare instances, the other 10% of the time. . But like I said, 90% of the refurbs are brand new items that were never sold and never used.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

k9trainer
THREAD ­ STARTER
381 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Kailua Hawaii
Post has been edited 1 month ago by k9trainer.
Jan 08, 2018 23:13 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #9

I did read some time ago that people received {bought} refurbished and were posting there shutter count. So it would seem some were used.

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,845 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 09, 2018 07:09 |  #10

Sure, and I am one of them. However there are many, many threads discussing Canon refurbs and the overwhelming consensus is that you will likely receive a new or very like new camera for a great price with the same 1 year warranty as from a store. There is no downside here. You have 2 weeks to decide if you want to keep it, or exchange it.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,690 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Jan 09, 2018 07:13 |  #11

k9trainer wrote in post #18536797 (external link)
I did read some time ago that people received {bought} refurbished and were posting there shutter count. So it would seem some were used.

Yes, my 60D had 40+ clicks on it. But sitting in a display counter at Best Buy people do try before buy and hence it racks up clicks. At the other end of things is a neighbor that for years went and bought a nice camera and returned it after a 2-week vacation. Yep, seriously! He quit doing that when the stores started keeping records and doing a restock fee.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 09, 2018 07:22 |  #12

Go for it, with confidence. I’ve purchased multiple items from the Canon refurb pages with no issues. Go for the 5D4 if you can swing it. Personally if I was to buy a 5D3 now I’d buy used because the deals will be better, albeit no warranty.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,845 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Jan 09, 2018 07:53 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #18536953 (external link)
Yes, my 60D had 40+ clicks on it. But sitting ina display counter at Best Buy people do try before buy and hence it racks up clicks. At the other end of things is a neighbor that for years went and bought a nice camera and returned it after a 2-week vacation. Yep, seriously! He quit doing that when the stores started keeping records and doing a restock fee.

One of the cameras I purchased from the Canon refurb had 19,000 clicks on it. ;) The other 6 or so had under 100.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Jan 09, 2018 10:22 |  #14

John from PA wrote in post #18536953 (external link)
Yes, my 60D had 40+ clicks on it. But sitting ina display counter at Best Buy people do try before buy and hence it racks up clicks. At the other end of things is a neighbor that for years went and bought a nice camera and returned it after a 2-week vacation. Yep, seriously! He quit doing that when the stores started keeping records and doing a restock fee.

My wife works in retail for a company with a liberal return policy. She has a small number of customers who buy on Friday and return the items on Monday. By now she has a good idea which purchases are just for weekend use. These returned items are sent back to their warehouse as used. Big expense for the company.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Jan 09, 2018 20:04 |  #15

I just received my $2,209 5D Mk IV, refurbished body from Canon. It does not have a mark on it and it has 21 clicks. I'm pretty happy.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

1,564 views & 7 likes for this thread
Buying refurbished Canon 5D from Canon (Opinions)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.