Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are photography forums an "old man's tool" now?

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 12, 2018 22:30 |  #61

OhLook wrote in post #18539812 (external link)
What did you type to make them?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,400 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2018 22:45 |  #62

Dave3222 wrote in post #18539823 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Dave3222 in
./showthread.php?p=185​39823&i=i94824367
forum: The Lounge

Amazing! My key has only "." and ">". Option-shift-period produces this: ˘

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 12, 2018 22:46 |  #63

Just joking. I copied the symbol from the post and pasted it into mine.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,400 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2018 22:48 as a reply to  @ Dave3222's post |  #64

Well, that was cute. :oops:

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 12, 2018 22:49 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #65

Sorry. Second glass of wine.:-)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,555 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 12, 2018 23:18 |  #66

That letter is part of the N'Ko alphabet. (external link)

You can type it out by using changing the keyboard to a different type or by adding a program to your keyboard that allows you to type characters by entering its unicode.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

GibJock
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
8,901 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Post edited 3 months ago by GibJock.

Jan 13, 2018 01:39 as a reply to  @ post 18539466 |  #67

Can’t remember which one, but it’s an iOS smiley that POTN translates to a “fallen over B”

Expiriment coming now ..... ߘ

Yep, it’s the shocked face emoji that looks like The Scream by Edvard Munch.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2018 03:45 |  #68

Dave3222 wrote in post #18539809 (external link)
I see these B's also
ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ ߘ

Everyone keeps saying they're bees, but there is nothing b-like about what I am seeing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Strontium
Durr?
6,368 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 13, 2018 06:29 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #69

I think that means that your browser can't translate that font.

I am I

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,431 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 13, 2018 07:58 |  #70

Strontium wrote in post #18539942 (external link)
I think that means that your browser can't translate that font.

Posts (pages) are served in/as UTF-8, but they do not take UTF as input nor pages are stored in UTF. This is due to the messy state and byte storage requirements of text in full UTF set, and also security is not 100% solid with UTF. So, iOS emojis are one thing that has to suffer from this designed limitation in here :)

You can put those characters in as decimal or hexadecimal HTML entity, found in pages like http://www.iemoji.com …le/face-screaming-in-fear (external link)

😱

😱

They are then shown with the available font, in Apple above shows as a nice-looking "Munch" image, elsewhere it shows as a blocky simple graph and when the font is not available it may show as anything.

There is a pitfall/bug here: in quotes and after editing the characters are loaded to editor as UTF-8, which is not allowed as input, so the result is again garbled. That may be fixed in the future but no promises now. There should be a full solution to this emoji mess, not some hacks here and there.

About UTF security see for example this page: https://security.stack​exchange.com …-security-bugs-with-utf-8 (external link)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.0 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2018 10:51 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #71

Pekka, it seems like it'd be a lot of bother to make it so that tipped over "b"s can be seen. . And why do we need these tipped over "b"s anyway? . They don't make sense to me.

For those who like the tipped over "b"s, could you try to explain why you use them? The only "b"s that make sense to me are those that stand upright, like they're supposed to.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,400 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 13, 2018 11:19 |  #72

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18540089 (external link)
Pekka, it seems like it'd be a lot of bother to make it so that tipped over "b"s can be seen. . . .

For those who like the tipped over "b"s, could you try to explain why you use them?

Nobody intends to put them in posts. They appear when a browser can't show the emoji that the person wanted. Your browser renders the code for that picture as a square. Mine (Firefox) renders the code as a lazy B.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2018 11:39 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #73

Thanks for the explanation.

Seems like a good reason not to use emojis. . If I have no assurance that everybody would see something correctly, no matter what device they were using, then I would certainly not want to use such a thing.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,555 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 13, 2018 13:25 |  #74

It is best to just use the ones the Forum supplies. I assume everyone can see these correctly. :eek: (Bulged out eyes smilie.)

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

pbrimages
304 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 13, 2018 13:54 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #75

Holy cow. Talk about a short attention span. One little character on the screen sends the thread totally off into left field ;-)a

SQUIRREL!

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sponsored links

3,304 views & 85 likes for this thread
Are photography forums an "old man's tool" now?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.