Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 07:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Library Photo App

chiefdeck
25 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 10, 2018 07:29 |  #1

I use a MacBook Pro and started out storing my photos/library for quick access in iphoto then Aperture and also used Aperture to edit photos. Then I upgraded to Lightroom and Photoshop to efit but still kept photos in aperture. Liked the way it grouped photos and ease of use. I have since upgraded op system on Mac and now have Photos to store/library photos but still use Lightroon and PS to edit. I hate Photos, Will not go into all the ways this app sucks.Apple really dropped the ball on this one.

I use a 6D and 80D what apps does anybody recomend to store/library photos? Is the Canon download worth installing and using or storing or Lightroom? Thanks everybody.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 10, 2018 08:53 |  #2

Since you already have it I would just move over to using Lr.

I love Lr since it has all of the image management tools that I could wish for. Personally I just download the images from the camera to folders by year, and then date. I very really work using the folder structure though. I use Lr's Collections, and especially Smart Collections to manage my images. When I download my images I always make sure to keyword them so that they will automatically arrive in Smart Collections based on the keywording. This is great since images can be in multiple Smart Collections based on the combination of keywords and other variables. The other nice thing is that the RAW converter is built in, so you only have the one interface to deal with, just like with Aperture.

The other big thing I like about using Lr is a wealth of output options. You can use the simple export command to produce files that are specifically tailored to the required use. On top you also have modules for printing, web galleries, slide shows, and even photo books. I find the Lr Print module to be the best program that I have used for photo printing. It is also pretty good as it lets you print to a JPEG file to send to a lab.

If you are using the latest Lr Classic CC on subscription it also get you the full Lr mobile to use on any of your mobile devices. You can connect Lr mobile with Lr Classic so that any images that you create on the device are automatically uploaded to you home system, and imported directly to your Lr Catalogue. No need to go though apples system and then have to use a watched folder or manually import the images. You can also put images in a collection that will be synced to Lr mobile, so that you have a 2500 px smart preview available. I find it is a good way to have up to date copies of images I might still be working on available on my phone. This also works if you log onto the Adobe service though a web browser. And you can use it to remote import RAW files to your system too. This is completely different to the fully web based system that the NEW Lr CC uses, and is I think the perfect balance between local and online use of Lr.

Alan.

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

142 views & 0 likes for this thread
Library Photo App
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.