Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 10:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Helicon FB Tube reviews?

neophyte52
Joined Feb 2009
Chanhassen, MN
Jan 10, 2018 10:12 |  #1

I’ve just started dabbling in macro work, and came across the FB tube on the Helicon site (I also employ stacking for landscapes, so find their software useful). This almost looks like a “too good to be true “ gadget, but also potentially complicated to actually use. Haven’t been able to find any reviews online. Has anyone used this?

Mark
Trying to compensate for lack of talent with lots of gear :lol:
My Gear

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by Dalantech. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 10, 2018 10:52 |  #2

Looks pretty interesting (external link) but I wish there was more info on the site about it. It seems to be a device that attaches between the lens and camera like an extension tube but can it change the distance between the lens and camera for a focus stack?!

Looks like it can change the focus point of the lens (external link) in steps that can be configured. I've never heard of anything like it before. Here is a review of sorts (external link) -Google is your friend ;)

Last edit, I hope: The example images that I've found have not been true macro images, with the exception of one. Not sure how small of a step a lens motor can make, and that's how the tube works (by shifting the focus point in between frames).

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Jan 10, 2018 11:12 |  #3

Found a complete overview. (external link)

My Blog (external link)

neophyte52
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
Chanhassen, MN
Jan 10, 2018 13:37 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #4

Thanks!

Mark
Trying to compensate for lack of talent with lots of gear :lol:
My Gear

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
4 hours ago |  #5

There are several compositions stuck in my head that just won't work in a single frame. Since the Helicon FB fits my style of shooting (hand held) I took the plunge and ordered one with the pro Helicon Focus software. My goal is to shoot close to 3x with the EF-S 60mm at F8. So the Helicon FB + two 25mm extension tubes. I'll report back if it works or not.

My Blog (external link)

186 views & 1 like for this thread
Helicon FB Tube reviews?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.