Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 15:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Create a HDR panorama

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 10, 2018 15:36 |  #1

I have a panorama at sunset and as a result, the left side of my frame is far brighter than my right. I've created bracketed shots for the panorama and all is good for the source files.

My typical workflow was all in lightroom:
1) Create HDRs of each set of bracketed shots
2) Merge the HDRs into a panorama

This ends up losing the dynamic range when stitching the shots together. I tried going the other way, creating 3 panoramas (1 and each exposure bracket) but the resulting images are SLIGHTLY different dimensions and both LR+photoshop complain and say they can't be merged. And LR provides no method to crop the photo to a pixel value (that I'm aware of?). Plus, although I obviously haven't been able to merge them yet, I worry this could potentially lead to the most quality degradation as each pano stitch could have stitched/warped the photos inconsistently.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,425 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Jan 10, 2018 16:09 |  #2

Tone your DNG HDRs (apply the same settings to each one) to compress the dynamic range and then export those images as 16bit tiffs. Then use the toned tiffs to make your pano.

There is a thread over in the Luminous Landscape forum where someone is complaining of the same problem.

The alternative is to use pano software that can deal with HDR stitching (ptgui, autopano, etc.).

Kirk

Kirk
---

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Post has been edited 3 days ago by BigAl007.
Jan 10, 2018 17:06 |  #3

Are you using the RAW tools in Lr to merge the images to DNG? I have always found that the merge to panorama tool works really well, but the few times I have tried to do HDR, with images shot near sunset, I didn't get very good results, with a lot of banding that I just couldn't do anything with. Oddly they were shots that used a four stop range, shot at 1/3rd stop intervals. I don't really do many panos, and even less HDR work.

I did get a one really good result with a -2, 0, +2 three shot HDR, and then merge to pano, but that was really my only successful attempt with the HDR to DNG option in Lr. In this case I left all the adjustments at the defaults before processing. Not that it should matter, since the only processing that will be applied to images before they are merged to DNG is the lens corrections. I don't have a profile for my usual walkabout normal zoom, a Sigma 20-40mm ƒ/2.8 EX DG.

POTN sized version

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4462/38238635181_06fa2bd49b_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g2​12t] (external link)Stickledown Panorama (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 12, 2018 06:08 |  #4

I always tonemap first, IMO, the app you use is irrelevanty. If you try it he other way round you will almost always end up with images of different dimensions and stitching becomes a problem.

Unfortunately, the current POTN 1280 pixel width limit yields underwhelming panos. Hopefully, this will be increased soon. I think I remember reading in the AMASS 2.0 development thread that 1600 pixels may be adopted.

1. Current 1280 pixel linit.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
2. 1600 pixels wide (external link). (hosted on CUBEUPLOAD)

3. 2015 pixels wide (external link). (hosted on CUBEUPLOAD)

This panorama was derived from 4 bracketed sets, tonemapped with SNS-HDR and stitched with Microsoft ICE.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Create a HDR panorama
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.