Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 08:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

File size issues

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jan 12, 2018 08:41 |  #1

How would I maximize... or maybe I should say minimize... my photos for website viewing.

I am setting up a new photo site. The theme recommends some photos be 1920px minimum, I presume because they cover the entire screen. The sample photos that come with the theme are 2048px on the long end, and roughly 300-500 KB.

I export my photos from Lightroom to *.jpg, 1920 px, 72 ppi, and I get file sizes in the 3 MB to 5MB range. What can I do to get the file sizes down? They take too long to load for my comfort.

Thanks.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 12, 2018 10:02 |  #2

Simple reduce the quality setting. I just tried a test export from Lr, using my usual POTN export settings, just changing the size to 1920 on the long edge. So it was JPEG, sRGB, Quality setting 80 and I limited the EXIF to Copyright and Contact details. The file size was 802 KB. Most of my 1280px long edge images, with full EXIF are smaller than 500 KB.

If you leave the quality setting at 100 then you get no compression, and comparatively huge file sizes. I have done quite a bit of testing on JPEG compression, and it is not possible to see any difference in quality between them. In my test I found that if you compare an 8 bit TIFF, Q100 and Q80 JPEGs in Ps there is a measurable difference between all three versions, the differences between the Q100 and the TIFF, and the Q80 and the TIFF are different, but they are of the same magnitude. It is just different pixels that have the slightly different values. There is actually a slightly bigger difference between the two JPEG files.

Although a maximum quality JPEG file with no compression is about the same size a an equivalent 8 bit TIFF file, and maybe even larger on occasion, you still get JPEG conversion artifacts. This is because JPEG doesn't use RGB to store the data. Instead it uses a luminance channel and then two chrominance channels. It is the colour information that is mostly compressed in JPEG, especially in the higher quality settings. Reducing the colour this way is pretty much invisible.

I found that Q80 in Lr was optimal, since quality wise you can't measure a drop from maximum quality, and it generally reduces the file size by between about 60% and 40%.

This was my test image for the 1920px export. It seemed to offer a reasonable mix of detail etc.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/37594348392_ef975d2c8a_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Zh5S​1y] (external link)de Havilland DH 82a Tiger Moth (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Olivier-Prodibi
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2018
Post has been edited 7 days ago by Olivier-Prodibi.
Jan 15, 2018 12:06 |  #3

That's precisely what we do at Prodibi http://www.prodibi.com (external link), we remove the need to compromise between quality and performance. Give it a try, it is free, and we have a WordPress plugin if you use that. You can display images of up to 3 gigapixels with our solution even on mobile; it is simple and fast, it works just like a Youtube video.

It is new; I will post an introduction in the marketplace forum as it is a recurring problem many photographers have! We could even integrate the solution into this forum, I will check with the admin :)

115 views & 0 likes for this thread
File size issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.