Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 22:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beginner tripod for 7D ii and 100-400 ii setup

padmoo
Joined Mar 2017
Atlanta
Jan 12, 2018 22:30 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve been going through a lot of threads about tripods but I am still not sure about which tripod would be the best for me needs.
I’m mostly taking bird and wildlife photos and would like some more support.
The manfrotto 055xprob seems to get recommended a lot but would it work with my system?
I also read a lot about gitzo’s but they seem a bit overkill?

I’m in the price park of $200-$300 and hope you can recommend one that will last me awhile!
Thank you!

sponsored links
Snydremark
Myth-informed
18,010 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 12, 2018 23:27 |  #2

padmoo wrote in post #18539822 (external link)
Hi everyone,

I’ve been going through a lot of threads about tripods but I am still not sure about which tripod would be the best for me needs.
I’m mostly taking bird and wildlife photos and would like some more support.
The manfrotto 055xprob seems to get recommended a lot but would it work with my system?
I also read a lot about gitzo’s but they seem a bit overkill?

I’m in the price park of $200-$300 and hope you can recommend one that will last me awhile!
Thank you!

Tripods are a 'measure twice, cut once' sort of deal. Everyone seems to think of them the way they do cameras and lenses..."I'll *start* with this and then buy up later; when the "later" unit was already available. For this piece of gear, it's really more of a trap to go down that road.

I started w/ the 055, as well as it's smaller and more portable cousin the 190. They're both "ok" units...the two biggest problems I had with the legs themselves was that the shims that help hold the leg tubes inside each other tend to get brittle and shatter after 2-3 years, and getting support/parts from Manfrotto in the US is nearly impossible. Plus, the lock units *constantly* needed to be retightened. Given the reasonably high price of even those units in aluminum and the collapsed length + weight of the 055, I really cannot recommend them very highly.

I think you're much better off looking into one of the many Gitzo knockoffs in your price range. Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=740131) if you haven't already.

After reading through that thread, 4 years ago, and chatting with ben_r a bit, I landed on this guy from Benro (https://www.ebay.com ...ee4d3a:g:XVcAAOSwBL​lVZEBG (external link)). I've been extremely happy with it since then. I also had an issue with some shims on this one breaking, but I reached back out to the seller (dc-photo-stuff linked above) and he got right back to me and ordered/shipped the parts immediately.

He offers a ton of stuff directly from Japan that isn't available in the US stores/distributors now (the twist locks, in particular). Flip vs Twist locks is a much debated choice that I'll leave to your discretion; but the Benros are great alternatives to true Gitzos, at a much more affordable price for 90+% of the overall performance.

The other thing that I would strongly urge you toward is making sure that whatever HEAD you get is an Arca-Swiss compatible head vs the more specialized RC2 mounts that most of Manfrotto's budget to mid-range heads. The AS-compatible range of accessories is MUCH wider spectrum and the AS mounts are broadly more easy to use (especially if you are wearing gloves).

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Post has been edited 1 month ago by FarmerTed1971.
Jan 12, 2018 23:35 |  #3

Sirui, Induro or Benro. Go arca Swiss. You don’t have enough budget for Gitzo and really don’t need to spend $1k for some quality sticks.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,792 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jan 13, 2018 17:18 |  #4

Pity you are now living in the US, back in the EU Gitzos are quite affordable if you are willing to wait and hunt down the best prices!

Benro and Induro have been recommended (great products) but don't forget Feisol - they also make some great products! Unfortunately I cannot afford them so I just use a few Gitzo tripods - yes my Gitzos were cheaper and mostly brand new but that is not likely to happen in the US.

These are worth a look:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...OD_CLASSIC_3_SECTIO​N.html (external link)

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...CT_3342_Rapid_Tripo​d.html (external link)

A friend of mine has the second one and it is an excellent tripod for anything up to a 300 F2.8 + occasional extender use + it weighs next to nothing. You will need to add a head so we will be going over budget but it is worth it and cheaper in the long run:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

padmoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2017
Atlanta
Jan 16, 2018 10:54 |  #5

Thank you very much for the input!! This helps me a lot! I'll try and save a little more money and get a solid Benro or Induro. BH seems to have had some good deals on Induros so I'll keep an eye out there.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,845 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 16, 2018 11:12 |  #6

I really like my Sirui monopod, and suspect I would like their tripods too.

https://www.amazon.com ...8-2&keywords=sirui+carbo​n (external link)

You can look through this list as well.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...&origSearch=carbon+​tripod (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,816 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 16, 2018 12:12 |  #7

As for selection of a tripod, you can actually take a starting tip about sizing from the BALLHEAD MANUFACTURERS!
For example, RRS recommends its BH-40 ballhead as suitable for up to 300mm FL, and its BH-55 for 'more than 300mm'.
Similarly the Markins M-10 is up to 300mm FL, while the M-20 is for more than 300mm.

The diameter base of the BH-55 or M20 makes them better suited to fit on the Gitzo 35nn better than on the Gitzo 25nn series tripods.
And also the weight of the ballheads on the suitably sized tripods do not make them unnecessarily 'top heavy' for carrying around.
For example, if you put the BH-55 on the Gitzo 25nn tripod the head weight somewhat 'overpowers' the tripod legs so that the ballhead weight tends more to cause the assembly to want to move to the 'head down' orientation if you carried it with a shoulder strap as you walked about.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,687 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Jan 18, 2018 21:26 |  #8

I totally agree with, "The other thing that I would strongly urge you toward is making sure that whatever HEAD you get is an Arca-Swiss compatible head vs the more specialized RC2 mounts that most of Manfrotto's budget to mid-range heads. The AS-compatible range of accessories is MUCH wider spectrum and the AS mounts are broadly more easy to use (especially if you are wearing gloves)."
I have fallen in love with a German made ball head, Kaiser 6011 which I purchased including an Arca Compatible clamp for a bit over $50 USD on the used market. I have worked with many ball heads in the 50 years I have been a photographer and the Kaiser 6011 is as good as any I have ever used. It weighs in a 20 ounces which is not lightweight but it has a manufacturer's recommended capacity of 8 kilograms or over 17 pounds.
This head can easily support my 7D2 + 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS ii lens or my 6D2 with battery grip with battery grip and 100 mm f/2.8 macro lens wearing a ring flash.
Several other suggestions...
I do most of my bird shooting with the 100-400 ii lens hand held because of the great IS in this lens.
I have replaced the tripod ring of the 100-400 ii lens with a Kirk tripod ring which has Arca Compatible capability built-in so I don't have to add an additional plate between camera and lens. It would have been very easy and very inexpensive for Canon to add Arca Compatibility to the lens in the first place. It irks me to have to spend an additional hundred bucks to get a capability that Canon should have provided in the first place...
I have the Kaiser head on a Giottos 8180 tripod. Not the lightest weight set of legs (despite being of graphite construction) but this tripod is exceptionally solid and matches well with the Kaiser head. I originally used a Giottos head on the tripod but, the Kaiser model is far superior.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,777 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jan 18, 2018 21:34 |  #9

have you thought about a monopod? for birds/wildlife a tripod would be good if you are in a stationary spot for a decent amount of time...in order to do any BIF, you'd probably want a gimbal head...if you used a monopod, you could still do some handheld shots, and then take the weight off of yourself by using the monopod.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

padmoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2017
Atlanta
Jan 19, 2018 13:34 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #10

Which monopod do you recommend DreDaze? Would a ballhead be best
for that? So far I've always shot handheld but the vII is a little heavier than the I making it hard for me to handhold for a long time.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,777 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jan 19, 2018 23:33 as a reply to padmoo's post |  #11

i don't use a monopod...i just handhold, but i'm sure others can recommend something that would work well for you

my recommendation is to get a lens heavier than the 100-400II...and then it becomes light weight :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Wilt
39,816 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Jan 20, 2018 18:48 |  #12

On POTN there was recently listed a Manfrotto 055 tripod (legs only) for $100, which I would not hesitate to endorse

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​463466

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

padmoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2017
Atlanta
Jan 21, 2018 19:01 |  #13

DreDaze wrote in post #18544869 (external link)
my recommendation is to get a lens heavier than the 100-400II...and then it becomes light weight :)

I wished I could afford something heavier than the 100-400II :lol:

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if somebody is selling their tripod in the forum.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Wilt
39,816 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 21, 2018 19:19 |  #14

padmoo wrote in post #18546124 (external link)
I guess I'll wait a bit and see if somebody is selling their tripod in the forum.

re-read post 12

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,690 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Jan 22, 2018 08:49 |  #15

Of possible interest is today's Deal of the Day (Monday 22 January) by B&H Photo (very reputable mail order).

The Benro FIF19CIB0 Carbon Fiber Transfunctional iFoto Series 1 Tripod Kit, normally US$334 is reduced to $169 for today's deal.

See https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...1_carbon_fiber_ifot​o.html (external link) for the details, in particular the weight capacity as I'm not sure it would work with the 100-400mm.

[Edit] I see there is also a 2nd option with a 31# capacity, normally $379 but $199 for a savings of $180. The link for that is https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...2_carbon_fiber_ifot​o.html (external link). That would probably hold the 100-400mm plus body with ease.

sponsored links

1,064 views & 16 likes for this thread
Beginner tripod for 7D ii and 100-400 ii setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.