Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Multi-purpose wide angle lens?

Roofjac
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 14, 2018 09:39 |  #1

I have an older Canon Rebel XS camera that works just fine for me. I also have the kit EFS 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, 75-300 1:4-5.6 USM, and EF 50 1:1.8. We are going on a holiday to Italy in the spring and I want to get a wide angle lens to get the most into my pictures. I also would like the lens to work for my growing interest in taking pictures of the night sky, stars, meteors etc. but I have a budget of about 400 CAD. Is there anything available that would satisfy both wants? I start searching lens reviews and the Canon website and I get confused with crop, full frame, prime, L, and all the rest of the jargon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jack.

sponsored links
tim1970
580 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2018 10:11 |  #2

For general purpose wide angle I would definitely recommend the EF-S 10-18. It is a very sharp lens and one of the best bang for the buck lenses you can get. The only issue might be that it would be a little slow for night sky shots, but for everything else it is great.

You can usually find it for around $200 U.S. used.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 14, 2018 11:38 |  #3

Agreed. Bang for your buck is the 10-18. I had one, my only complaint is that it is slow (aperture). Optically it is just fine.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Jan 14, 2018 11:50 |  #4

For a crop camera, which you have in the Canon Rebel XS, you can't go wrong with the Canon 10-18mm lens. It is a lightweight, inexpensive, tack-sharp ultrawide lens. Add this into your kit, and you will have all the coverage you will need for your trip to Italy.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,513 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 14, 2018 11:56 |  #5

you can also check out the Tokina 11-16/2.8. Great wide angle lens.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Roofjac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 14, 2018 12:26 |  #6

Thanks to you all for your input. What would be your opinion of the Canon EF-S 24mm f2.8? It would be a wide angle lens and is fairly fast for night shots.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,887 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by John from PA. (3 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2018 12:29 |  #7

Roofjac wrote in post #18540681 (external link)
Thanks to you all for your input. What would be your opinion of the Canon EF-S 24mm f2.8? It would be a wide angle lens and is fairly fast for night shots.

You wouldn't want the 24mm as far as field of view. It is already covered by your 18-55mm. Yes, it may be faster, but you may be able to overcome that by appropriate bracing of the camera or a small monopod (see below) at night. Even thought the XS is an older camera, I would think you could get reasonable results at ISO 800 to 1200.

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll do it again:

You may want to consider throwing together a poor man's monopod, just in case. Now, I will tell you that many a person is skeptical, but all that proves is they haven't tried it. It works well, costs about $3 and weighs little. Go to a hardware source and get an 1/4-20 eyebolt and two nuts, same size. If you can find it, you can get these items in nylon which minimizes the weight but costs a bit more. Mount the two nuts on the eyebolt and then screw the eyebolt into the camera but do not tighten it. Back it off slightly then position and lock the two nuts. This ensures you won't bottom out the eyebolt in the camera socket and possibly damage the camera tripod socket. Then, purchase 5 to 6 feet (depends on your height) of string and tie it to the eyebolt. Tie the other end to something like 3/8 inch dowel, 2 to 3 inches long (with a drilled hole) and position it so you can stand on it and the string is taught when the camera is at eye level. I'm sure you get the idea. Seriously, by eliminating the vertical plane motion you can get some long exposure hand held shoots using this simple device. I've carried one since 1963 when as a student I found myself in Europe. I couldn't afford a tripod, nor did I have the space in my sea bag to carry it. But I was able to get great hand held shots in buildings and night time shots on the streets. I might add I didn't have the benefit of high ISO, or ASA as I believe it was called. 400 or a push to 800 was about the best you could do with Ektachrome! My wife reminded me that in many a museum that did not permit a tripod, I could use the poor man's monopod without any issues.

senamit
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 14, 2018 12:30 as a reply to  @ Roofjac's post |  #8

No i dont think it will be wide enough to capture landscape or monuments. Get 10-18mm from canon. It will suffice your needs.

Roofjac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 14, 2018 12:52 |  #9

OK. Thanks, I will check out pricing on the 10-18mm. Thanks agian to all for your help.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,678 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 14, 2018 15:15 |  #10

If you want a wide angle that is also great for night shooting I'd suggest the tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

The canon 10-18mm is a nice lens but it's an f4.5-5.6 lens. So it's 1 1/3 to 2 stops slower then the tokina 11-16. For general landscape shooting during the day that's not a big deal as you're going to stop down the lens anyways. However for night shooting you want as much light as you can get. So those extra stops are a huge plus.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 14, 2018 15:44 |  #11

peeaanuut wrote in post #18540660 (external link)
you can also check out the Tokina 11-16/2.8. Great wide angle lens.

gremlin75 wrote in post #18540808 (external link)
If you want a wide angle that is also great for night shooting I'd suggest the tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

The canon 10-18mm is a nice lens but it's an f4.5-5.6 lens. So it's 1 1/3 to 2 stops slower then the tokina 11-16. For general landscape shooting during the day that's not a big deal as you're going to stop down the lens anyways. However for night shooting you want as much light as you can get. So those extra stops are a huge plus.

The Tokina 11-20mm is an update/upgrade from the 11-16mm lens. It also reviews better. I've never used the 11-16, but I can tell you the 11-20 is excellent. And it has a more useful zoom range. As expected, it also costs more.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

TreeburnerCT
407 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Jan 14, 2018 16:47 |  #12

I have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and it is a great lens on a crop camera both for general landscapes and for astrophotography. The ability to shoot at f/2.8 if needed sets this lens apart from the Canon 10-18mm, and you won't miss the slightly narrower FL range.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,887 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 14, 2018 16:48 |  #13

Roofjac wrote in post #18540709 (external link)
OK. Thanks, I will check out pricing on the 10-18mm. Thanks agian to all for your help.

If you have the time to wait, probably about two weeks, eBay Canada shows the 10-18 for about CAN$303 at https://www.ebay.ca …ksid=p2047675.c​100623.m-1 (external link).

Check the warranty conditions. Usually, here in the States, these things direct from Hong Kong do not have a warranty that is valid in the US. Having said that, in 50 years of photography I've never had a warranty issue with any lens.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,818 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 14, 2018 18:01 |  #14

forget the 10-18IS it's too slow for night stuff...grab the 11-16f2.8...and older used one should fall in your price range

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Roofjac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 14, 2018 18:25 |  #15

Hi all. The Tonika 11-20mm f2.8 sounds like the perfect lens but is about $300-$400 above my budget. I will keep looking for something used but not seeing much right now. Thanks again for your insight and ideas.

sponsored links

5,138 views & 5 likes for this thread
Multi-purpose wide angle lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.