Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 07:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does FoCal work

anitaw2
246 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Jan 15, 2018 07:48 |  #1

I'm wondering if I should invest in this? has anyone here tired it and liked it. I am from Canada, I don't know the price.

Anita W.

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Archibald.
Jan 15, 2018 09:21 |  #2

anitaw2 wrote in post #18541254 (external link)
I'm wondering if I should invest in this? has anyone here tired it and liked it. I am from Canada, I don't know the price.

You can get the price from the FoCal web site.
https://www.reikanfoca​l.com/ (external link)

I have not used it, but noticed that it gets good reviews. You can use Dot-Tune. It is also effective, and costs nothing. It's what I use.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM (external link)
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11872​47/0 (external link)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 15, 2018 09:49 |  #3

Ditto with Dot tune.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Post has been edited 1 month ago by bpalermini.
Jan 15, 2018 09:50 |  #4

Yes, it works. I have been using FoCal for about 6 years. I find that it works great with my Canon lenses and bodies and it makes a difference in my photos. It is the first thing I do when I get a new piece of equipment.

Older versions of the software were less stable and tended to crash some but still worked. Newer versions are stable and have streamlined the analysis so it goes fairly quickly per lens/body adjustment.

If you have newer Canon equipment you have to manually make the adjustments to the body through the analysis but the software very clearly leads you through the process. I believe that with Nikon equipment the process is fully automatic like it was when I had a Canon 5D MkII body. Apparently, Canon eliminated some control from their API in more recent bodies.

One tip for best results is that you need a lot of light on the target. You need to be getting decent shutter speeds (at least appropriate for the lens you are testing) with the ISO at 200 and the aperture at wide open which can be a problem with long lenses + TC's.

I just got a 5D MkIV body last week and adjusted all my L lenses including my long lenses with TC's on the new body. I think the largest adjustment range was from -1 to +10 depending on the combo. None ended up needing 0 adjustment.

In my opinion, FoCal is worth the cost and I would highly recommend doing a MFA on all body/lens combinations in order to get the absolute best out of them.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

cigargreg
Joined Jun 2009
Tampa, FL
Jan 15, 2018 10:08 |  #5

I could not get dot tune to work, I am sure it works. I ended up getting a SpyderLENSCAL for really cheap. It is still a manual process but had better results.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by agedbriar.
Jan 15, 2018 14:37 |  #6

I had Focus Tune, but results were inconsistent.

Now I find optimal AF Microadjustment manually (as advised by Canon), shooting a Siemens star to make the evaluation of achieved sharpness more accurate.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Jan 15, 2018 17:49 |  #7

Archibald wrote in post #18541296 (external link)
You can get the price from the FoCal web site.
https://www.reikanfoca​l.com/ (external link)

I have not used it, but noticed that it gets good reviews. You can use Dot-Tune. It is also effective, and costs nothing. It's what I use.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM (external link)
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11872​47/0 (external link)

I just watched the video and printed the target. did everything he said and it was a total failure. I went 0,green dot focused, went -20, green dot focused, went +20, green dot focused. didn't matter what value I put, green dot focused. I did notice on the weekend that the lens focuses great on close objects but when my daughter went farther than 20 feet, the lens always missed focus by a lot/or picture was very soft

Anita W.

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Jan 15, 2018 17:50 |  #8

agedbriar wrote in post #18541568 (external link)

Now I find optimal AF Microadjustment manually (as advised by Canon), shooting a Siemens star to make the evaluation of achieved sharpness more accurate.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by agedbriar in
./showthread.php?p=185​41568&i=i153825360
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

how does this work?

Anita W.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 15, 2018 18:13 |  #9

anitaw2 wrote in post #18541741 (external link)
I just watched the video and printed the target. did everything he said and it was a total failure. I went 0,green dot focused, went -20, green dot focused, went +20, green dot focused. didn't matter what value I put, green dot focused. I did notice on the weekend that the lens focuses great on close objects but when my daughter went farther than 20 feet, the lens always missed focus by a lot/or picture was very soft

What lens?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Jan 15, 2018 18:24 |  #10

anitaw2 wrote in post #18541741 (external link)

Are you sure you locked in the focus adjustment as you were trying DotTune? On Canon, it takes a click of the set button to lock the new setting in. + or - 20 certainly makes a big difference and should affect the focus confirmation dot.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Jan 15, 2018 19:02 |  #11

Archibald wrote in post #18541763 (external link)
What lens?

85mm f1.8

Anita W.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Jan 15, 2018 19:38 |  #12

FOcal works great! If you want a scientific/statistical approach to MFA, it's the way to go.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jan 15, 2018 20:37 |  #13

agedbriar wrote in post #18541568 (external link)

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by agedbriar in
./showthread.php?p=185​41568&i=i153825360
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I always preferred the ISO12233 chart (external link). Same idea but a little easier to tell what you really have.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by agedbriar.
Jan 16, 2018 01:22 |  #14

anitaw2 wrote in post #18541744 (external link)
how does this work?

You shoot that target at different AF MA settings and compare the images: the image with the smallest blurred area around the center is the sharpest.

The Siemens star target allows a more accurate comparison of sharpness across various images (MA settings) than the classic "brick wall shots" would.

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Jan 16, 2018 05:53 |  #15

ok, I tried Dot Tune this morning. Put it on ManFoc, micro focus to "0", got the target to focus correctly. Then put it on -10, no focus; put it on "0 again, focused; put it on +5, got focus; put it on +10, got focus; +15, focus; +20, focus... now isn't it suppose to stop focusing as I change the Micro adj.?

Anita W.

sponsored links

3,773 views & 18 likes for this thread
Does FoCal work
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.