Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

fuji e-x2/e-x3 or canon eos m-6

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2018 11:55 |  #1

ive got my primary camera issues figured out (not really the MONEY issues though) and i was sort of looking into this about 4 years ago...

i was inquiring about the EOS M system as a 'walk around when i dont want to lug the full kit' kit. fuji was suggested as a possible alternative. i never pulled the trigger on any of them because i was still pretty pleased with what i had in hand...

now, a few years later, im thinking again about adding one of the above systems to my pocket so to speak...

the fuji x2 or x2s is 16-ish mp, the m-6 i believe a little bit more. the newer e-x3 is upto 20+ which is basically on par with the canon offering...

pros to the Canon is the ef-s/m lens adapter and very similar (if not identical) menu system/layout to my 5D3
pros to the Fuji is the viewfinder (electronic or otherwise) and quite possibly a magnitude of order of IQ based on other discussions ive had with owners of both systems.

cons to the Canon is the need for a slip on electronic viewfinder or using the back screen, and the same sensor technology (?) as the rest of the Canon line

cons to the Fuji is buying into a 2nd brand's menu and operation, and seperate lens family (needing to duplicate lenses for both kits)

the Canon is available at lower prices than that of the Fuji (at least the x-e3) so theres another pro for the M-6 but thats not necessarily a deciding factor for me...

do you see my conundrum?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,671 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 15, 2018 12:06 |  #2

I did this recently.

I started with EOS-M as a side kick to my 5D & 1D family of Canon.

I added Fuji.

Got rid of the EOS-M stuff.

Shoot the Fuji more than my big Canons now.

If you want a walk around camera, every day camera, etc, the Fuji really is an excellent option to have. You don't need duplicate lenses. You just need one or two lenses and that's it for casual every day, either a wide or standard zoom, or a simple prime or two. That's it. You don't have to overhaul everything. The silent operation, excellent electronic view finder, and wonderful sensor tech along with excellent glass makes it just a pleasure to shoot.

Go to a store and play with a few cameras, see what feels good in your hands.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2018 12:15 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18541436 (external link)
I did this recently.

I started with EOS-M as a side kick to my 5D & 1D family of Canon.

I added Fuji.

Got rid of the EOS-M stuff.

Shoot the Fuji more than my big Canons now.

If you want a walk around camera, every day camera, etc, the Fuji really is an excellent option to have. You don't need duplicate lenses. You just need one or two lenses and that's it for casual every day, either a wide or standard zoom, or a simple prime or two. That's it. You don't have to overhaul everything. The silent operation, excellent electronic view finder, and wonderful sensor tech along with excellent glass makes it just a pleasure to shoot.

Go to a store and play with a few cameras, see what feels good in your hands.

Very best,

go to a store... lol thats funny right there. seriously i dont know of any photo stores around anymore...

thanks for the comments. i guess i really dont need to duplicate lens packs. id probably just go with one of the 23mm offerings. id prefer the extra stop of the 1.4 over the 2 but holy cats, they want a pretty premium for that stop (among other factors of course)...

i do like the fuji but every now and again im tempted to jump on the EOS-M bandwagon. usually because i come across one thats relatively inexpensive either here used or somewhere else..

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Gallery: 250 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 15, 2018 13:51 |  #4

I bought a used X-E1 a few years ago to play about with my old Zeiss glass, slowly I bought more Fuji gear and then started selling off my Canon stuff including my 5D3's and L lenses. Now I'm fully Fuji, they get under your skin.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2018 14:51 |  #5

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18541523 (external link)
... they get under your skin.

crap...

i was AFRAID someone would say this...

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,678 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 17, 2018 21:56 |  #6

Ltdave wrote in post #18541441 (external link)
go to a store... lol thats funny right there. seriously i dont know of any photo stores around anymore...

Location says "Farthest point east in michigan" so Port Huron? If thats the case yeah, the closet Camera Store by you would probably be ProCam in Livonia or Henry's in London. Neither is super close.

I'm another fuji convert that started using it as a second system and then sold off my canon gear to use it as my main system. I personally carry my x-e2 with the 27mm f2.8 attached to it every where. Its my "throw it in my pocket" camera, or as I like to call it, the pro mans x100. If you want something small and light then an x-e with a 23mm f1.4 isn't really the best of choices. At that point I'd just go with an x100 even though you'd be losing a stop of light.

My issue with the EOS-M series is the lack of decent native lenses. Yes there is the adapter but then the bodies smaller size is offset by the adapter and the larger lenses. However if you just want a small camera and lens then an eos-m with the 22mm f2 will make for a nice small package. As small of a package as the x-e3 with 27mm f2.8 with an added stop of light, a smaller package then the x-e3 with 23mm f2, and a far smaller package then the 23mm f1.4.

So are you just looking for a small camera and one lens to you as a walk around camera or do you want a second body with the option to use more lenses?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,132 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 18, 2018 00:17 |  #7

Mirrorless is still an area where Canon appears to be an 'also ran'; they don't appear to have done any of it particularly well. If I were to contemplate an "every day" camera besides my SLR, one of the more recent Fuji offerings would be straight at the top of my list; most likely followed by one or two of the Sony offerings. Canon's ILC stuff just seems solidly middle of the road.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 18, 2018 02:38 |  #8

gremlin75 wrote in post #18543485 (external link)
Location says "Farthest point east in michigan" so Port Huron? If thats the case yeah, the closet Camera Store by you would probably be ProCam in Livonia or Henry's in London. Neither is super close.

I'm another fuji convert that started using it as a second system and then sold off my canon gear to use it as my main system. I personally carry my x-e2 with the 27mm f2.8 attached to it every where. Its my "throw it in my pocket" camera, or as I like to call it, the pro mans x100. If you want something small and light then an x-e with a 23mm f1.4 isn't really the best of choices. At that point I'd just go with an x100 even though you'd be losing a stop of light.

My issue with the EOS-M series is the lack of decent native lenses. Yes there is the adapter but then the bodies smaller size is offset by the adapter and the larger lenses. However if you just want a small camera and lens then an eos-m with the 22mm f2 will make for a nice small package. As small of a package as the x-e3 with 27mm f2.8 with an added stop of light, a smaller package then the x-e3 with 23mm f2, and a far smaller package then the 23mm f1.4.

So are you just looking for a small camera and one lens to you as a walk around camera or do you want a second body with the option to use more lenses?

yep. Port Huron...

i googled stores and Procam in Livonia and Woodward Camera in Birmingham. I got Henry's in Windsor, but even with the exchange rate, they were a hundred or hundred+ more than buying here...

the camera will mostly be a walk around, "have in my pocket" (not necessarily a pocket camera) camera. i love my 5D3 and am looking to add a 5D4 to the bag...

i posted a similar question about 4 years ago to replace a tiny 7mp Canon ixus (?) point and shoot that works fine 95% of the time because in addition to my Canon film SLRs, i used to carry an olympus XA. i wanted a pocket camera that would give me similar quality and results as what i could expect from both the film setups. the EOS-M was one suggested along with whatever the (then) current fuji offering was. i never pulled the trigger on either of them so i just keep those on the back burner. i know several guys who shoot Canon for the professional gear but use non-Canon for their walk around. two are Fuji shooters, one Sony (although i suspect the Sony is more of a mini-dslr, A7? A7r?)...

i like the option to have lens interchangability hence the e-x. ive since taken into consideration the x100f (being the newest of that breed). both being Fuji because of those guys' recommendation along with comments here about the EOS M series kind of missing the mark. i also like the Fuji because their viewfinder is integral to the body and not a slip-on, in the hot shoe. I like the EOS because the menu (from what i saw initially) was the same as my 5D3, and regardless of which mirrorless i picked, i was going to run the 22f2 (Canon) or the 23f2 (Fuji). at least to begin with...

Snydremark wrote in post #18543546 (external link)
Mirrorless is still an area where Canon appears to be an 'also ran'; they don't appear to have done any of it particularly well. If I were to contemplate an "every day" camera besides my SLR, one of the more recent Fuji offerings would be straight at the top of my list; most likely followed by one or two of the Sony offerings. Canon's ILC stuff just seems solidly middle of the road.

and this is something ive heard here as well as from several other photographers. one of them is seriously considering ditching all of his Canon gear for the Sony A7r (not overly familiar with their offerings). he currently works for UPI, shooting primarily for the Seattle Seahawks, another works for Gannett News and is thinking of going all Fuji, all because of the sensors and IQ...

im currently looking at the x100f over the e-x3. price difference is negligible and the x100f is smaller which is kind of what i want (less obtrusive for street photography)...

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 18, 2018 05:40 as a reply to  @ Ltdave's post |  #9

For a little carry around every day kind of camera the X100f is great. Also it has a leaf shutter and a built in 3 stop ND filter. Perfect when you want a discrete camera

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,263 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2018 11:48 |  #10

I was into it as well!
What camera to get to replace my bulky 5DII/50L? It was great IQ kit, but eventually I stopped using it due to the size.
Canon M missed the boat for me. :) First, it was without viewfinder and where I'm it is a must. And then they finally came with one, they dumped it in the middle...WHY?! Canon has huge RF history....
What is the difference from their small DSLRs then? None to me. My old, trusty 500D with 24 EFS pancake did it for me and still does if I need most versatile, quick to operate and no slosh compact camera. And Canon M lenses? Right, next to none.

The reason why I like Fuji X series is compactness, the placement of VF, EVF in the corner. It is huge thing for me with my big nose and greasy face. With VF, EVF in the corner my nose is not smashed against of the camera screen. And almost entire face is open, it allows skin to breathe, evaporate. And Fuji X leaves Canon M in dust for selection and quality of AF lenses. Some amazing lenses like Fuji 35 1.4.
But why I'm still using 500D with AF pancake and satisfied with its performance, while size and weight are small enough? I don't like what I read (including photogs I know) about RAW files issues from Fuji in LR. It looks like it comes and goes, but never went away....
This and batteries capacity.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 18, 2018 12:12 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #11

For me those raw fils issues are really a non issue any more, Lightroom has gotten a lot better and as a user you can't apply a blanket approach in sharpening Canon and Fuji files. For a start Fuji has no AA filter so the files have more fine detail. Try setting the sharpening to something like 30 and the radius to about 2 then the detail to about 75 and drag in masking to suit your eyes. It's a starting point with raf and Lightroom.

As for battery you'll get a safe 400 shots from a Fuji battery if you set up & use the camera right. Remember it has two hi-res screens to run as well as a load of other stuff. Your 500D gets about 490 shots if I remember rightly. You have to go up to a EN-EL6 to get the 800+ shots from a canon DSLR and that it a big battery. Want a small camera? Probably going to have a small battery. I was shooting with my X-PRO2 today and there is still power in the one battery I used for more. Anyway batteries are cheap and it only takes a few seconds to change one out.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,263 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2018 12:39 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #12

It depends... LCD, no LCD, AF mode, IS, flash, no flash... With fresh LP-E5 battery I was getting close to 1K shots.
And I wasn't lonely on this count:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=550451

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,499 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2018 12:44 |  #13

due to the lack of native M lenses, fuji by default. If you can make due with the existing offerings, then sure, get the canon...... however, buying into a ILC system is so that you can try lots of lenses rather than box yourself in.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,508 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 18, 2018 15:09 |  #14

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18543775 (external link)
For me those raw fils issues are really a non issue any more, Lightroom has gotten a lot better and as a user you can't apply a blanket approach in sharpening Canon and Fuji files....

using LR 5.7 and have a copy of LR 6. i should be good i think...

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,132 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 18, 2018 15:20 |  #15

Ltdave wrote in post #18543592 (external link)
yep. Port Huron...

and this is something ive heard here as well as from several other photographers. one of them is seriously considering ditching all of his Canon gear for the Sony A7r (not overly familiar with their offerings). he currently works for UPI, shooting primarily for the Seattle Seahawks, another works for Gannett News and is thinking of going all Fuji, all because of the sensors and IQ...

im currently looking at the x100f over the e-x3. price difference is negligible and the x100f is smaller which is kind of what i want (less obtrusive for street photography)...

The A7 line is slr-like but the A6500 or A9 are normal, mirrorless style bodies with good performance.

I think either maker should do way better than the eos-m stuff for what you're describing

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

972 views & 7 likes for this thread
fuji e-x2/e-x3 or canon eos m-6
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.