Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 18:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 673: Looking Down

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,732 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Maureen Souza.
Jan 15, 2018 18:57 |  #1

I wonder if we will ever get back to the days of 12-15 entries...... but thanks to those of you who are committed to this thread.
1st Place- Stiga. What I liked best about this shot was that I couldn’t decide if it was a close up or taken from a distance. I like that it teases my brain.

2nd Place- Teekay. Bear tracks in the snow....I guess it hasn’t been cold enough to hibernate yet but I bet you weren’t happy to see one so close to your house.

3rd- Jim Askew. I recognize Antelope Valley, about a 90 minutes drive from here. If we dont get some decent rain soon the poppies will not be as stunning as last year. Love the orange carpet.

Challenge #673 - LOOKING DOWN

Description of this week topic: I have been out much of the afternoon running errands & came home with 2 dimes, 3 pennies and a quarter that I found on the ground in various places. So that brought me to the theme this week. What do you see when you are looking down? Show me things that are of interest to you while on a walk, out in the mall or anywhere interesting that you like.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 22 January 2018.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links
Trumper
756 posts
Joined May 2003
Jan 17, 2018 05:14 |  #2

g1x m11
Looking for the pot of gold during the dog walk :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

teekay
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by teekay.
Jan 17, 2018 11:43 |  #3

Bear Track At Our Back Door

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Track1024.jpg
G15

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 20, 2018 12:22 |  #4

Looking Down Into The Valley
G5X: f/4.5, 1/1250th, ISO 125, 9MM

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 21, 2018 05:37 |  #5

Y are we all looking down this week? Because Maureen asked us to :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,732 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jan 22, 2018 17:05 |  #6

Results at the top

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

teekay
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jan 22, 2018 18:05 |  #7

Congratulations to Martin on his intriguing winning shot, and thanks for giving my not-very-good bear tracks #2 spot.

I found this a surprisingly hard subject despite carrying my G15 around a lot looking in vain for inspiration. I deleted my first entry after deciding it wasn't what was called for, and wherever I looked down all week there was nothing but snow and slush.:-(

As for that bear, Maureen, yes it's unusually late for one to be still around, and it was still visiting about a week ago. We're used to wildlife around the house at night, so it's not scary but fascinating. I keep a trail cam at the basement door, and here's a frame capture from a video of the same bear reaching up to the deck, probably sniffing something cooking upstairs.

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/BearStanding.jpg

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 23, 2018 03:49 |  #8

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18546800 (external link)
Results at the top

Many thanks for the accolade, Maureen. Because I have old eyes I do look down a lot so that I am not too dazzled! Consequently I have a shed load of look down shots and this challenge was apiece of cake - so to speak :-)

Martin

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 23, 2018 05:20 |  #9

A new topic has been posted

Martin

Trumper
756 posts
Joined May 2003
Jan 23, 2018 10:14 |  #10

:-) Well done Martin.In the UK we have had a bit of snow but mostly wet and grey ,as you can see the fields attach themselves to your boots :)
Look forward to this weeks one :)

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 23, 2018 11:36 |  #11

Congratulations to Martin and Teekay, and thanks for the 3rd place nod Maureen. I had to look deep into my archives to find an entry this week. This was a most fun and challenging contest. Like you Mo, I wish we could get more folks to join our merry little band of G Series shooters! These contests are always fun and often are a real challenge to compete in! It keeps you on your toes as a photographer :-)

teekay
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jan 23, 2018 18:29 |  #12

JimAskew wrote in post #18547270 (external link)
....Like you Mo, I wish we could get more folks to join our merry little band of G Series shooters! These contests are always fun and often are a real challenge to compete in! It keeps you on your toes as a photographer :-)

I agree with Jim - it's good fun and a good photographic exercise each week, but we are now getting far too few entries. With only a few each week, the job of setting and judging becomes less fun, so maybe some don't enter in case they might win - a vicious circle?

And maybe most people, like myself, either no longer use a G-series camera on a regular basis or don't have a working one any more?

Any ideas?

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 23, 2018 19:33 |  #13

teekay wrote in post #18547623 (external link)
I agree with Jim - it's good fun and a good photographic exercise each week, but we are now getting far too few entries. With only a few each week, the job of setting and judging becomes less fun, so maybe some don't enter in case they might win - a vicious circle?

And maybe most people, like myself, either no longer use a G-series camera on a regular basis or don't have a working one any more?

Any ideas?

How about a couple of “volunteer” judges to run the contest week to week? We would need at least two judges so the volunteers could also compete from time to time. :-)

teekay
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jan 23, 2018 22:34 |  #14

JimAskew wrote in post #18547676 (external link)
How about a couple of “volunteer” judges to run the contest week to week? We would need at least two judges so the volunteers could also compete from time to time. :-)

But who's going to volunteer - not me, that's for sure. Sorry, but I like to compete and hate having to judge.:rolleyes:

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 24, 2018 06:45 |  #15

Perhaps we should increase the number of entries to 2 or 3/week

Just a thought.

Martin

sponsored links

3,058 views & 23 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 673: Looking Down
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.