Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss Lenses are hard to sell

2cruise
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Gallery: 411 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 08:00 |  #1

After having 4 of them and just sold the 85mm I need to sell the 35mm to take care of some medical issues. I sold the 85 because I didn't use it that much and the 35 is getting no interest at all. I guess folks just don't like the manual focus but it is so easy and the results from this lens simply awesome. I really don't want to go to Ebay because the fees are so high. Any interest or advice to sell this lens would be most helpful.

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Canon 85mm 1.8~Rokinon 14mm~2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,673 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 16, 2018 08:06 |  #2

Where are you trying to sell at? Just here on POTN?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 08:24 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18542126 (external link)
Where are you trying to sell at? Just here on POTN?

Very best,

Yes!

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Canon 85mm 1.8~Rokinon 14mm~2.8~Lee filters

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,673 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 16, 2018 08:27 |  #4

I think you'll get more attention on Zeiss stuff on FredMiranda.

As you pointed out, high dollar manual glass is a lot less desirable to the masses, even more apparent it seems between 21mm and 85mm, where you have the landscape folk and the portrait folk, it's hard to get attention on those 35's and 50's compared to the much more popular 21 & 85 options. It may take time, but you'll increase your odds if you look at a bigger market place with more diversity.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,714 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 16, 2018 09:03 |  #5

Craigslist, it’s free.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 10:02 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18542137 (external link)
I think you'll get more attention on Zeiss stuff on FredMiranda.

Very best,

I PM'ed a guy on FM who had the same lens for sale and no hits. Finally settled on Ebay for a loss.

2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 10:05 |  #7

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18542156 (external link)
Craigslist, it’s free.

I usually do quite well on CR but not on higher priced items. Bought and sold a lot of stuff there with no problems. Of course I'm always with my Beretta for company.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,412 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 16, 2018 10:12 |  #8

2cruise wrote in post #18542199 (external link)
I PM'ed a guy on FM who had the same lens for sale and no hits. Finally settled on Ebay for a loss.

What do you mean by "for a loss". Were you expecting to sell it for more than what you purchased it for?

2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 11:00 |  #9

Hogloff wrote in post #18542207 (external link)
What do you mean by "for a loss". Were you expecting to sell it for more than what you purchased it for?

His words not mine.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 16, 2018 12:30 as a reply to  @ 2cruise's post |  #10

have you tried KEH?

buddy sold some stuff there for the sheer convienience, got low balled, but I suspect you can barter a bit with them.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,849 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2018 13:06 |  #11

2cruise wrote in post #18542199 (external link)

Hogloff wrote in post #18542207 (external link)

2cruise wrote in post #18542257 (external link)
His words not mine.

Ok, "his words not mine" ....... but that statement still doesn't really let us know what your expectations were.

I would think that if someone actually bought a Zeiss lens new, then they could expect around a 30% to 40% loss when selling it used, no matter how great the condition is. . This would seem reasonable.

I'd be interested in knowing what your expectations were, inasmuch how much / how little of a loss you would have to suffer.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,968 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2018 13:34 |  #12

Based on Ebay prices I'm 15 to $85 less (original asking price) and I had mine originally at $625 now 600. There hasn't even been a low ball price sent my way which I expected.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,849 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2018 15:25 |  #13

2cruise wrote in post #18542374 (external link)
Based on Ebay prices I'm 15 to $85 less (original asking price) and I had mine originally at $625 now 600. There hasn't even been a low ball price sent my way which I expected.

So, it kinda seems to me like you never really "lost" anything, because you were never going to be able to get that higher price anyway.

The original asking price was only based on a theoretical number that you thought you should be able to get. . Turns out that that theoretical number was higher than it should have been.

So, you haven't lost anything;. all that you've done is re-adjust your asking price, based on actual buyer interest, or lack thereof.

By the way, eBay is my preferred way of selling used photo gear, because I am guaranteed to sell it in a given time period. . I have learned that gear sells for higher amounts on eBay than it does on forums or on Craigslist. . The higher selling prices completely offset the eBay commissions, listing fees, and PayPal fees.

When I've sold photo gear on eBay, I have consistently gotten WAY more than I would be able to get elsewhere. . But, I always sell it via auction instead of Buy It Now. . I set the starting bid at ten cents and let the customers bid it up. . By doing this I get lots and lots of bids and lots of potential buyers watching the item. They compete with one another on what they think might be a "great deal" (because of the low starting bid).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 16, 2018 15:58 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18542433 (external link)
So, it kinda seems to me like you never really "lost" anything, because you were never going to be able to get that higher price anyway.

The original asking price was only based on a theoretical number that you thought you should be able to get. . Turns out that that theoretical number was higher than it should have been.

So, you haven't lost anything;. all that you've done is re-adjust your asking price, based on actual buyer interest, or lack thereof.

By the way, eBay is my preferred way of selling used photo gear, because I am guaranteed to sell it in a given time period. . I have learned that gear sells for higher amounts on eBay than it does on forums or on Craigslist. . The higher selling prices completely offset the eBay commissions, listing fees, and PayPal fees.

When I've sold photo gear on eBay, I have consistently gotten WAY more than I would be able to get elsewhere. . But, I always sell it via auction instead of Buy It Now. . I set the starting bid at ten cents and let the customers bid it up. . By doing this I get lots and lots of bids and lots of potential buyers watching the item. They compete with one another on what they think might be a "great deal" (because of the low starting bid).

nope.

words were FM forum member's, not 2cruise.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 16, 2018 16:00 |  #15

2cruise wrote in post #18542374 (external link)

Things are only worth what someone will pay for them. Not what the seller thinks they are worth(they are only worth that in the sellers mind not in reality).

Ebay is an action site you can start it at $1. and it will get bid up to what it is worth in that market.

You will probably get more on ebay then selling it to a re seller because the re seller will need to make some money for his time and overhead.

sponsored links

1,895 views & 10 likes for this thread
Zeiss Lenses are hard to sell
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.