Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about B+W 6 stop ND

shane_c
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by shane_c. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2018 18:15 |  #1

I ordered a B+W 6 stop ND from Amazon (shipped from Amazon) a couple weeks ago. I opened it a few days ago to discover that the filter looks like it has little speckles all over the front of it. I tried cleaning it with lens cleaner but it won't come off. If I look through the filter from the back you can't see them and it doesn't appear to show up on the images. Only when looking at the front of it can you see them. Is this the "coating" on the filter? Both my B+W 10 stop and circular polarizer are clean from the front and back.

Pic of the box is attached. Tried to take a pic of the speckles but it's hard to see them on a cellphone pic.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 16, 2018 18:37 |  #2

You have a Canon 80D...why not shoot the photos of the speckles with that, and take a crop of the frame so it can be posted here at sufficient size with the speckles 'enlarged' in the tiny crop?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 17, 2018 14:20 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Not sure I'll have time but will try. I can return it until the end of January so will likely just do that while I still can and order it from a reputable store instead of through Amazon. It just doesn't look right to me since my other two B+W's don't have speckles all over the glass.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2018 15:19 |  #4

No filters that I've ever purchased had come with speckles, and most of my filters are B+W. I don't think that's normal.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 17, 2018 15:59 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #5

It looks like overspray from something

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,133 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by saea501.

Jan 17, 2018 16:03 |  #6

shane_c wrote in post #18543207 (external link)
Not sure I'll have time but will try. I can return it until the end of January so will likely just do that while I still can and order it from a reputable store instead of through Amazon. It just doesn't look right to me since my other two B+W's don't have speckles all over the glass.

I've always found Amazon to quite reputable. Never had any problems with them.

I bought several B&W filters through them, no speckles. Just return it, they'll replace it.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by shane_c.

Jan 18, 2018 13:36 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #7

Ordered a new filter from B&H Photo this morning and will return the other one back to Amazon for a refund.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2018 11:26 |  #8

shane_c wrote in post #18543851 (external link)
Ordered a new filter from B&H Photo this morning and will return the other one back to Amazon for a refund.

New filter arrived today from B&H and the glass is clean and clear like my other B+W filters. Thankfully it's not full of unremoveable speckles like the one I returned to Amazon.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2018 12:51 |  #9

Glad to hear!

Since Amazon became a 'marketplace', it must be handled with care. I'd foresee little trouble with items sold 'by Amazon', but the ones sold by individual sellers are a whole different matter.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2018 13:45 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #10

The one I originally purchased was sold and shipped by Amazon

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2018 17:08 |  #11

Whoa! Well, I've seen changes for the worse in Amazon's own too; case in point, once upon a time some time ago, they used to pack the books in very nice thick cardboard, easy to open, book mailers and/or sturdy boxes (for larger books or many items)... fast forward to nowadays and the books come in bubble envelopes where they're liable to get bent or have their corners ruined. Shame on you Amazon!

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 23, 2018 17:24 |  #12

shane_c wrote in post #18543207 (external link)

Nothing 'disreputable' about Amazon imho. I very much doubt Amazon is the problem here.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 23, 2018 17:31 |  #13

Alveric wrote in post #18547551 (external link)
Whoa! Well, I've seen changes for the worse in Amazon's own too; case in point, once upon a time some time ago, they used to pack the books in very nice thick cardboard, easy to open, book mailers and/or sturdy boxes (for larger books or many items)... fast forward to nowadays and the books come in bubble envelopes where they're liable to get bent or have their corners ruined. Shame on you Amazon!

I think Amazon is responding to a green lobby argument that it was seriously over-packaging a lot of its items. I'm not a green lobbyist but I do get the point of that argument. Maybe Amazon have over-adjusted a smidgen in the quoted example.

I think the OP has been unlucky in this case. He/she could have been equally unlucky with any other supplier. I thinks it's wrong to lay this problem at Amazon's door.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 24, 2018 11:42 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #14

I have ordered lots of stuff over the years from Amazon without issue. This is the first time I've ever had to return anything. Whenever it's an option I select the item that is sold and shipped from Amazon as opposed to a 3rd party seller, even if I have to pay a few dollars more. I'm not blaming Amazon for the faulty product because I realize that any seller can have issues with the stock they receive. But since I had to order again and B&H was only about $2 more I decided to go that route for the replacement since I recently read online about fake B+W filters being sold through Amazon.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …ers-being-sold-on-amazon/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,912 views & 3 likes for this thread
Question about B+W 6 stop ND
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.