Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 16 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 19:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

More Godox questions

smaeda
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Jan 16, 2018 19:49 |  #1

Ok so I'm used to Yongnuo triggers so this is starting to get a little confusing. Can the XT32 be used the same way as the X1T to remotely trigger the shutter of my camera with the x1R attached via sync port? The only way I have succeeded in making the combo work is to disable the half press AF from the shutter button. I'm guessing the XT32 test button doesn't have a half press function like the x1T? Does the X-pro trigger have half press abilities?

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L,

sponsored links
smaeda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Jan 16, 2018 20:14 |  #2

Also after I connected the x1r to the camera via sync port and remote triggered it with the XT32, the shutter and flashes don't sync at all. I turned the shutter delay off on the xt32, and even messed with the delay settings, but they won't trigger at the same time. Can you not trigger the shutter and flash remotely simultaneously with Godox?? Yongnuo triggers were both receiver AND transmitter so this was no problem at all.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Southern California
Jan 19, 2018 03:17 |  #3

I don't have a XT32, but had played with the X1T and Xpro with the X1R, my finding is the same as yours. The flash fired early before the camera shutter, so trigger delay does not work.

With the X1T and Xpro, the half press/focus do work.

To have the flash in sync, I have to use a extra trigger on camera like this..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

smaeda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Jan 19, 2018 10:00 as a reply to Lotto's post |  #4

Thanks for confirming. The set-up I had to use was very similar to your image, but since the XT32 doesn't have a hotshoe, I had to dangle the receiver with a string from the tripod....Thanks for verifying the X-pro does have a halfpress/focus function. I wonder why the XT32 doesn't have it. Kind of a bummer.

NJHarvey
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by NJHarvey. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 27, 2018 00:31 |  #5

I'm having the same experience. I want to use a Godox Xpro-C as a remote trigger. The manual (page 32) says to connect an X1R-C to the camera. Then half press the test/shutter button to focus, and full press the test/shutter button to shoot.

But what happens is, when I half press the test/shutter button, it fires the strobe and when I full press the button,it focuses and releases the shutter. Which means the strobe and the shutter are not synchronised at all.

I don't know if this is a fault with my Godox units, or if it's a bug/design problem. Any ideas?

Here's a quick video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ys8dl8_-acs (external link)

smaeda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Post has been edited 22 days ago by smaeda.
Jan 27, 2018 11:24 |  #6

I'm guessing it has to do with Godox being only a one-way trigger. It can't receive and transmit. The work around I found was mounting the Godox trigger on the hotshoe of the camera and having a separate Yongnuo receiver on the sync port with another Yongnuo in-hand as the remote.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 27, 2018 11:34 |  #7

NJHarvey wrote in post #18549931 (external link)
I'm having the same experience. I want to use a Godox Xpro-C as a remote trigger. The manual (page 32) says to connect an X1R-C to the camera. Then half press the test/shutter button to focus, and full press the test/shutter button to shoot.

But what happens is, when I half press the test/shutter button, it fires the strobe and when I full press the button,it focuses and releases the shutter. Which means the strobe and the shutter are not synchronised at all.

I don't know if this is a fault with my Godox units, or if it's a bug/design problem. Any ideas?

Here's a quick video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ys8dl8_-acs (external link)

The camera and the strobes have to be controlled separately.
One trigger system for the camera that is independent of the strobe trigger system.

The sequence is; press radio trigger to fire camera. Camera starts its exposure sequence. When shutter curtain opens, the camera sends x sync trigger signal to the trigger in the hot shoe which sends the fire signal to the strobes.

When you’re trying to do both with one trigger, the signal from the trigger is firing the camera and also sending the signal to the strobes to fire.
That means they are firing before the shutter has a chance to open.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,035 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 27, 2018 12:31 |  #8

dmward wrote in post #18550177 (external link)
The camera and the strobes have to be controlled separately.
One trigger system for the camera that is independent of the strobe trigger system.

The sequence is; press radio trigger to fire camera. Camera starts its exposure sequence. When shutter curtain opens, the camera sends x sync trigger signal to the trigger in the hot shoe which sends the fire signal to the strobes.

When you’re trying to do both with one trigger, the signal from the trigger is firing the camera and also sending the signal to the strobes to fire.
That means they are firing before the shutter has a chance to open.

I was going to suggest this as well, as this is how I have always done it. I am glad to read your reply, someone with much more knowledge confirming these thoughts. I recall many experiments with the new 2.4Ghz system before finally reverting to the Cells II for the remote shutter.

Harvey, FYI the "Godox only" solution I use is to mix the old "Cells II" units for triggering the shutter, and then use the current 2.4Ghz system for the strobes. The CellsII are a steal these days, and come with the cables required to talk to cameras' shutter release.

One still can use the 2.4Ghz system for the remote shutter, just as it describes in the manual. You just can't ask it to also synchronize the strobes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

NJHarvey
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Jan 28, 2018 02:47 as a reply to dmward's post |  #9

hi David, thanks for your response, but that's not what's happening at all. Try it for yourself, and you'll see what I mean. The Godox trigger is two stage, half press and full press. Half press (according to the manual, page 32) should autofocus. Full press should open the shutter, and presumably fire the strobe. What actually happens, is that a half press fires the strobe - that's all it does. I can fire the strobe repeatedly with a series of half presses, and the camera doesn't autofocus or open the shutter. Full press focuses and opens the shutter, but it doesn't fire the strobe again.

My Yongnuo trigger does what I would expect. It first autofocuses, and when the camera has acquired focus, the shutter opens and the strobe fires.

I've since discovered that by mounting the XPRO-C on the hotshoe, and attaching a separate Yongnuo receiver to the sync port, I can use another Yongnuo as the remote. Problem is, the XPRO is now on the camera, which could potentially be on a tripod seven feet in the air, or several feet away from where I want to stand. The whole point of buying the XPRO was to be able to remotely control camera and strobes with a single hand held unit.

NJHarvey
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Jan 28, 2018 02:49 as a reply to smaeda's post |  #10

Thanks Smaeda, I discovered this work around yesterday, but it doesn't really solve my problem. The XPRO is now on the camera, which could potentially be on a tripod seven feet in the air, or several feet away from where I want to stand. The whole point of buying the XPRO was to be able to remotely control camera and strobes with a single hand held unit.

bigVinnie
816 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Jan 28, 2018 09:58 |  #11

I still have a Yongnuo RF-602 set that I use for remote triggering. I think they have since come out with newer versions, but would still be cheaper than buying additional godox just for a remote trigger.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

1,427 views & 4 likes for this thread
More Godox questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.