Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Tripod Suggestion

firme
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by firme.

Jan 17, 2018 03:13 |  #1

I currently have a very cheap tripod, Dynex DX-TRP60, http://edsphotographs.​weebly.com …571714300_p3_i1​_w500.jpeg (external link)

Now I don't use it much, when I do I use it to take landscape style pictures. When taking vertical pictures, the head tilts/adjusts more than what I want. Again, this is cheap so can't expect much.

Now, I don't have a high budget for a new tripod but have been looking at amazon on different Manfrotto tripod that range from $60 and up. I would like to stay below $100, but although they are Manfrotto, not sure if the lesser priced Manfrotto are of "lower" quality. I am looking for a head that will stay put and not have to worry that it will adjust through time. I went to a local camera store and the sales person recommended Manfrotto Element. He said this is more than sufficient. Still more than what I want to spend but then again I have no knowledge on tripods.

Are there other "good" brand tripods that fit my needs?

I have Canon 80d, Canon 50mm and Tamron 17-50mm. Not looking to buy a larger lense. Plan on getting a 18-135mm lense. Thank you for the help.

sponsored links
rburgett
62 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 17, 2018 10:56 |  #2

Under $100 is tough for a good tripod with head.
The only thing I can think of is to go check out Slik tripods on Amazon and see what you can find by reading reviews. There are some Chinese tripods that may work (Zomei, Dolicå), but I don't have any personal experience with them.
You can also search the forum here as this subject has come up a lot.
Good luck!

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 17, 2018 10:59 |  #3

Tiltall

www.mikedeep.com (external link) | SportsShooter (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 17, 2018 16:07 |  #4

I did see these:

https://www.amazon.com …keywords=manfro​tto+tripod (external link)

At the local store they had this one for $45 more vs amazon:
https://www.amazon.com …otto+element+tr​ipod&psc=1 (external link)

The above Manfrotto tripods that are under $100, although Manfrotto are cheap compared to the ones over $100? I have had the cheap tripod for a bit, so I will wait and save more if need be. Perhaps not thinking in long term use.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 17, 2018 16:43 |  #5

I would think that for landscape work, you wouldn't want a tripod with so many leg sections unless you plan to keep it in your pack all day long. I have an old manfrotto (bogen) with 3 leg sections and it seems like it takes forever to set up with only 6 leg locks to set. Just a thought. I only use my tripod for video work, not stills.

flickr (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 17, 2018 16:48 |  #6

Larry thanks for the suggestion, didn't think of that. Still learning photography, I don't have enough good hand balance (still have to practice on this). So I still have to use just to make sure they don't come out a bit blurry.

Are there any other Manfrotto that use 3 leg sections vs the ones I have been looking at? Thanks.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Larry Johnson.

Jan 17, 2018 20:37 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #7

For landscape work, I would use a tripod based on what I've read. I'm not a landscape photographer.
I'm not familair with tripods brands, so I can't recommend one over another.

flickr (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 17, 2018 22:25 |  #8

I would look into getting a Tiltall on eBay or Amazon and then adding an Arca Compatible quick release clamp...

Depending on the deal you get, you should be able to manage this setup at under a hundred bucks.

A used Manfrotto 3021 or similar without a head and then purchase a decent ball head with an Arca Compatible clamp would be another way to go...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 17, 2018 23:09 |  #9

Thanks for the help. Will look into that.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,139 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 18, 2018 00:13 |  #10

Definitely tough to get a good tripod under $100, especially with a head attached already. I really don't recommend the Manfrotto units, in general, as their cheaper legs are just that and their service and parts availability in the US is absolutely awful.

If you look into one of the many, many clone units that are out on the market nowdays, with Arca-Swiss compatible quick release clamps, you'll probably find something workable. I would go with this setup, https://www.amazon.com …W3269TKGA3K&pd_​rd_w=ZN9CG (external link), before I would touch any of the ones linked there.

Manfrotto's ball heads are not completely spherical and they have a much worse tendency to "droop" after you have made your adjustments; the trigger mechanisms of the joystick heads (this is not specific to Manfrotto) are more gimmicky and a vector for breakage; the pan/tilt heads also don't stand up to a lot of use generally before they loosen up and start to flex in unwanted ways. The other issue w/ the heads is that they utilize Manfrotto's own quick release plate format (RC2) instead of a more universal mount (Arca-Swiss compatible), which can limit your accessory options in many cases.

If you were to find an acceptable set of legs without a center column, that would be even better; but you have to get up in to the expensive end of things before those generally start being available. For landscape shooting in particular, you want stability, and anything that gets between the camera and direct mount to the tripod can impart some level of vibration and flex.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 18, 2018 08:37 |  #11

Thanks Snydremark.

That link you provided sure is a big price difference. The reason why I mentioned Manfrotto is because I have heard it mentioned quite often and some camera stores have that brand than any other acceptable brands. So I thought this would be the way to go. As mentioned I would not mind getting something other than Manfrotto. What I am more worried about is that eventually the head starts to droop after a couple of months and I can get good use for a couple of years.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,708 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 18, 2018 11:19 |  #12

RPCrowe wrote in post #18543502 (external link)
I would look into getting a Tiltall on eBay or Amazon and then adding an Arca Compatible quick release clamp...

Depending on the deal you get, you should be able to manage this setup at under a hundred bucks.

A used Manfrotto 3021 or similar without a head and then purchase a decent ball head with an Arca Compatible clamp would be another way to go...

I once had a decent Tilt-All copy many, many years ago. I must have sold it. But the concept is simple enough that decent copies should be available.

Gosh, I've actually got four Manfrotto 3021 tripods right now, the oldest is about 30 years old.

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 4 months ago by photosbytw.

Jan 18, 2018 17:09 |  #13

Under $100...............whe​w!! I'd keep and eye on ebay.............I picked a used pod for $107..............but be mindful of the weight. Unless you have a pair of cajones the size and weight of bowling balls. Dragging the damn thing around can get tiresome real quick.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2018 17:25 |  #14

Do without a tripod for a while and save some money to get a decent one - cheaper in the long run:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 11:13 |  #15

The one Snydrenark suggested caught my eye. I do see it was at nearly $140 and is for $60 at the moment at amazon.

sponsored links

1,735 views & 10 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Tripod Suggestion
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.