Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 13:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Source for inexpensive large prints?

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 19, 2018 13:27 |  #1

I'm planning to print some backgrounds for use mostly in hummingbird photos this summer, but possibly with some other birds as well. I want to make several to have some variety. Because these are going to be blurred OOF images to begin with, and will be blurred even further when placed as a background it seems like I should be able to go with a relatively cheap print service (which will help maximize the number I can print).

I will probably use between 12x18 and 16x24 for the hummers, and may get a couple larger ones done in the 20x30 to 24x36 range. I plan to mount the prints to foam board, or possibly even just tape them to some cardboard. The most important thing will be to have a truly matte finish so I don't get reflections when hitting the background with a flash, and I don't want any horrible color casts either, although it's ok if the prints don't color match perfectly.

Any suggestions for where to have these printed? Anyone have experience with any of the places offering matte poster prints, as opposed to photo paper? Also curious about some of the foam board print options that print directly onto foamcore. I've got time, so I may just get some samples done in smaller sizes, but if anyone can help narrow the list of places I should be looking at it would be appreciated.

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Jan 19, 2018 13:36 |  #2

Short Run Posters may be close to what you want. They do charge $5.00 to ship flat rather than rolled.

http://www.shortrunpos​ters.com ...digital-poster-print.html (external link)

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,627 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jan 19, 2018 13:36 |  #3

Not sure if you have a Costco in you neighborhood but they have great prices and the quality is very high.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 19, 2018 13:56 |  #4

No Costco nearby, so that's not an option.

Short Run Posters looks very promising, and those are the cheapest prices I've seen on any of the larger sizes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,216 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 19, 2018 14:30 |  #5

Walmart Photo does up to 20"x30" poster prints. IIRC, they are less than $30 each, and they look good.

Tom

paintedlotus
352 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Jan 19, 2018 14:51 |  #6

I was going to suggest Costco too (but it's a moot point) but they only offer gloss and lustre finishes, and I think Walmart is probably the same. If you need something truly matte, it's going to cost you a lot more... I've had good luck with prints from Adorama, and they have a couple different matte options. My personal favorite is Fuji Crystal Archive Deep Matte.

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), a couple Elinchrom lights, slightly banged up Einstein, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few 7-foot umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

LadyBug1964
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2018
Fort Mill SC USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by LadyBug1964.
Jan 19, 2018 15:29 |  #7

Banners on the Cheap https://www.bannersont​hecheap.com (external link) has vinyl banners - 2' x 3' for $10.57. I am sure shipping is extra but that is pretty good for a vinyl banner. They would be durable if you are wanting to reuse. Would work great for a backdrop.

Ann
http://www.anormentpho​tography.com (external link)

Pinto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Jan 20, 2018 13:01 |  #8

paintedlotus wrote in post #18544587 (external link)
I was going to suggest Costco too (but it's a moot point) but they only offer gloss and lustre finishes, and I think Walmart is probably the same. If you need something truly matte, it's going to cost you a lot more... I've had good luck with prints from Adorama, and they have a couple different matte options. My personal favorite is Fuji Crystal Archive Deep Matte.

Another option is a matte finish spay. Some work really well.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Jan 20, 2018 15:08 |  #9

Have you looked at whitewall?

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 20, 2018 18:14 |  #10

AdoramaPix is extremely reasonable, and always offers free shipping on any orders of $49 or more.

https://www.adoramapix​.com/site/PriceList.as​px#luster (external link)

I use them for most of my printing needs, but I usually print on metal and am not too familiar with their prints on paper.

I think you'll definitely want to print on matte or low luster paper so as to minimize reflective glare (you may have already said that, but I didn't read through your whole post). . Also, be careful to make a note with your order that says that you do NOT want any color correction to be done.

Here are AdoramaPix's prices for Kodak Endura Matte paper. . Keep in mind that they very frequently have 25% off sitewide sales, and even have a 50% off large photo print sales once a year! . If you sign up for their email notifications and you'll never miss a sale.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

You can get the prints on different kinds of backing. . But I'm not sure exactly what is available in this regard. . It'll be on their site if you look for photo print options.

Their customer service is awesome! . I am always calling them about one thing or another. . It's nice to have a phone conversation with a real person who speaks English as a first language.
HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Michigan
Jan 21, 2018 07:47 |  #11

I usually use either Meridian Pro or Mpix for my enlargements, and have been very happy with the service from both companies.

Photo Galleryexternal link
Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,235 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 22, 2018 12:11 |  #12

Have used shortrunposters and i think they would be perfect for what your are looking for.

ashleykaryl
204 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 27, 2018 04:59 |  #13

DagoImaging wrote in post #18545308 (external link)
Have you looked at whitewall?

I was going to suggest the same. Not the absolute cheapest but you should be satisfied with the quality.

X-Rite Coloratti Pro, Phase One Ambassador
Author of Colour Management Pro
https://colourmanageme​ntpro.com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 27, 2018 13:08 |  #14

Another thumbs-up for Shortrunposters. I have three hanging in my house right now.

The only meaningful downside is that they take a looonnngg time to fulfill.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 28, 2018 10:48 |  #15

There's a big sale going on today and tomorrow at AdoramaPix.

Pretty hard to beat these prices at 35% off.

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,862 views & 4 likes for this thread
Source for inexpensive large prints?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.