Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 20 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 07:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Handy Blind for Birding?

setagate
Joined Dec 2005
Naples, Florida
Jan 20, 2018 07:35 |  #1

I’d like to find out if anyone has a suggestion for a simple “hide” or “blind” that is super light and portable that I could set up very quickly and stand behind while waiting for birds to arrive at a location? Thanks very much for any help.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,066 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jan 20, 2018 09:53 |  #2

These thread might help: Photography blinds

Stalking vs. Waiting ... tips for a wildlife newbie

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 20, 2018 09:57 |  #3

Pop-up that folds and is portable, no setup time. Just throw it down and it will turn into a blind.

https://www.amazon.com ...RV6NCQ0NDF4&pd_rd_w​=N5U9Z (external link)

I also use hide-behind covers, up on stakes/poles, but they're less effective because birds can see over it and see you behind it. It's better than nothing. But I also find it to be annoying in the field because the wind moves it around, it can get tangled up, etc. I prefer total tent-blinds because you're completely hidden and it stands up to wind and changing light a lot better.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bernt-Inge
Joined Jun 2005
Søgne, Norway
Jan 20, 2018 11:01 |  #4

There are several tarps and small hides you can pull over yourself to make cover.
I have the Lencoat Lenshide for use when I need to walk far or just travel light.
http://www.lenscoat.co​m ...ide-photo-blind-c-55.html (external link)

----- Bernt-Inge -----

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
www.bernt-inge.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)
My Gear flickr stream (external link)500px (external link) Twitter (external link) facebook (external link)

setagate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
Naples, Florida
Jan 20, 2018 13:47 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #18545068 (external link)
Pop-up that folds and is portable, no setup time. Just throw it down and it will turn into a blind.

https://www.amazon.com ...RV6NCQ0NDF4&pd_rd_w​=N5U9Z (external link)

I also use hide-behind covers, up on stakes/poles, but they're less effective because birds can see over it and see you behind it. It's better than nothing. But I also find it to be annoying in the field because the wind moves it around, it can get tangled up, etc. I prefer total tent-blinds because you're completely hidden and it stands up to wind and changing light a lot better.

Very best,

Thanks for this information. That Tangkula blind looks good, light weight, and not too expensive. I wonder if I could stand inside, I'm 6 feet tall, or would it be best to sit inside while waiting for something to come along? Is it possible to put a stool or small chair inside. I have trouble getting up from sitting on the ground because of my age. Can I set up my tripod inside? Very best to you.

setagate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
Naples, Florida
Jan 20, 2018 13:53 |  #6

Bernt-Inge wrote in post #18545117 (external link)
There are several tarps and small hides you can pull over yourself to make cover.
I have the Lencoat Lenshide for use when I need to walk far or just travel light.
http://www.lenscoat.co​m ...ide-photo-blind-c-55.html (external link)

Thank you. That looks very interesting although I think I might prefer to be inside some kind of structure instead of wearing the blind. We've had some cool weather in Florida lately, but that might get kind of hot inside most of the time.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 20, 2018 15:51 |  #7

setagate wrote in post #18545248 (external link)
That looks very interesting although I think I might prefer to be inside some kind of structure instead of wearing the blind.

This is a good idea, because you need a blind to hide your movement.

Those camo cover/clothing things don't work well for critters that are real skittish because once you move to put your hand up to the camera, or lean forward to look into the viewfinder, etc, then the critters scamper off.

Inside a blind, you can pour coffee from your thermos, adjust the height of your tripod, pull your cell phone out, lean back for a snooze, etc, and the critters won't even know because all of your movements are concealed from their view.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bernt-Inge
Joined Jun 2005
Søgne, Norway
Jan 20, 2018 16:14 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18545340 (external link)
Those camo cover/clothing things don't work well for critters that are real skittish because once you move to put your hand up to the camera, or lean forward to look into the viewfinder, etc, then the critters scamper off.

Never had any problems using them, had a flock of geese brushing straight over my head when sitting in it.
I do not move around though, I use it as I would with a normal shelter. I find that the Lenshide is easier to use when you need to turn towards birds that are not straight in the view of a normal shelter.

I use the Lenshide for when I need to have a light load and shelter when I plan to stay for a longer time.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
www.bernt-inge.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)
My Gear flickr stream (external link)500px (external link) Twitter (external link) facebook (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by recrisp. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 20, 2018 17:45 |  #9

I have a ghillie suit, a hunting tent, and a camera tent, all three work, some better than others.

I LOVE the ghillie suit, but, if there is anything at all with 17 miles that can grab it, it will! :)
These things will make you invent new cuss words too, I am not kidding, burs and sticks will grab you and sometimes try and trip you, I think they are out to get me, but if you are around any brush, trees, or stick-ups of any kind, you are doomed.
I may love the ghillie suit but I rarely use it, it's only for places like your backyard or a place that you can somewhat control what is happening.I usually just lay down in some tall grass by a pond/lake and wait until something comes towards me, as in ducks, etc. I can also stand next to a tree and I try and brace myself against a limb so that I am not moving my arms too much, it works good.

There is also some leafy camo that the U.S. Army uses, you can get it at and Army&Navy Surplus. I went that route first, it's easy, really light-weight, and works really well, but just like a ghillie suit you may not get to go home, they may find you body trapped inside a small bush in a year or two. :)
I would find sticks and prop them up and make my own hide with this stuff, then when I am done I just leave the sticks there, roll up my Army camo and pack it up.

The hunting tents are not made for photography, they work O.K., but not as good as a camera tent.
Hunting tents are usually taller and more pointed at the top, they are less expensive too, but usually less room to move around in, but you can, you can even use a chair I think in most. I use a chair in mine, or a small cooler that I sit on. I bought mine used on Craigslist for $40.

The windows are made to shoot rifles through, at only one height...

My camera tent is way cool! It is made for photographers and it shows too, they cost a LOT more, I believe I paid around $200. + U.S. dollars for mine. It has windows made for cameras and it even comes with a sleeve that attaches to your lens and it sticks out of the tent, it's so camouflaged that if you move slow they don't notice. I have moved too fast and they did notice, but they weren't really concerned. I used it for wood ducks and hooded mergansers, they are both really sensitive to the slightest movement, so it passes their tests. :)
It also has Velcro screens and covers for those screens, of course, Velcro has its problems with noise so it's a good idea to make sure that part is set up beforehand. It has quiet zippers.
Mine is a HIGH QUALITY tent, it's heavy-duty but light-weight. It's almost the same weight as my hunting tent. They both unfurl the same way and fold back the same way. The first few times using these pop-up tents is how hard it may seem to 'get it' the first time or two. After you 'get it', it's easy, or maybe I am slow, that's is always a possibility. They have YouTube videos about how to put up pop-up tents, that is the best way to go about it.
I also use a chair in this, I have several types of chairs that I use, a cheap folding chair, a small cooler, I have a 5 gallon bucket that has a camo seat on top that works best, and I have a bag that I sometimes use, or, I may just sit on a log and use that.

The windows are made for a camera, meaning, you can get low to the ground or higher if you need to, you can also stick your tripod's front leg out of the front. Sometimes you really do need to lay down on the ground to get that shot.

I realize that a camera tent is a lot more expensive, but they are worth it, that is if it is for you, I know that I would not have bought one before trying out the hunting tent, I assumed that they were all about the same. I was wrong.
I use my hunting tent more than I use the camera tent, it's cheap, light-weight, if I lose it it's not a big deal, versus if I lost my camera one it would be. A hunting tent is easier to set up really, not by much, but in comparison to my camera tent it is. Neither are hard or time consuming, but it might make a difference to some.

My favorite is my photography tent, but honestly I use the hunting tent more for some reason.

Definitely try a cheap way to get what you want first, you will decide what you like as you are trying it out, it may be all that you need, then again, while sitting in a tent you may decide that you hate it, and want to go another route.

Here's some really good links to show you what is what...
http://www.audubon.org ...traits-try-portable-blind (external link)

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 20, 2018 17:46 |  #10

setagate wrote in post #18545246 (external link)
Thanks for this information. That Tangkula blind looks good, light weight, and not too expensive. I wonder if I could stand inside, I'm 6 feet tall, or would it be best to sit inside while waiting for something to come along? Is it possible to put a stool or small chair inside. I have trouble getting up from sitting on the ground because of my age. Can I set up my tripod inside? Very best to you.

You won't just stand inside, but you sit inside on a chair with a tripod. It's a relaxing way to chill and watch wildlife.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 20, 2018 17:53 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #18545393 (external link)
You won't just stand inside, but you sit inside on a chair with a tripod.

Which is nearly ideal.

Shooting from a standing-up position is usually not the best angle to shoot from. . Most of the time, a prone or seated position - shooting from a low angle - will produce much better photos, with respect to the background and viewer-to-subject perspective.

I have the same blind that you are discussing, and find it very useful.. One downside is that its footprint is rather small, so it is not always easy or comfortable to shoot from a laying-flat-on-the-ground position in it. . This sometimes causes me to take images which are not as dramatic or aesthetically appealing as I would be able to take from a slightly lower perspective.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Grizz1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Jan 21, 2018 22:45 |  #12

I have used many blinds and one like Martin mentioned is near the lowest cost I know of. You might check your local Super Center, in areas that have hunting season for Wild Turkey they will carry a blind like this. Near the end of season they go on sale, I picked one up for $25.00 late last fall. If you get one of these, practice setting it up and taking down in your yard, goes up easy, taking down, well it's a skill I'm not the best at .
You won't be able to stand in it and it's really most comfortable with only one person. Those that are tall enough to stand in and very roomy inside go for about $400.00.

I like how Tom described being able to move in a blind, "pouring coffee" and relaxing, that's most important to me.:-)

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 22, 2018 22:29 |  #13

I have several blinds, but for fast and portable I really like the Ameristep chair blinds. You can get them for a little over $60 new. They also make a two person model if you ever take anyone with you or need more room for your gear.

https://www.naturescap​es.net ...he-ameristep-chair-blind/ (external link)

setagate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
Naples, Florida
Jan 23, 2018 09:53 |  #14

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18546987 (external link)
I have several blinds, but for fast and portable I really like the Ameristep chair blinds. You can get them for a little over $60 new. They also make a two person model if you ever take anyone with you or need more room for your gear.

https://www.naturescap​es.net ...he-ameristep-chair-blind/ (external link)

This one looks very good.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.
Jan 23, 2018 14:12 |  #15

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18546987 (external link)

setagate wrote in post #18547185 (external link)
This one looks very good.

I will vouch for the Chair Blind's usefulness.

They are very light and easy to carry for long distances, they set up in a second or three, they give you a comfortable seat, they completely cover you and your movements, and they have enough room between you and the front 'window' for you to set up your tripod and huge supertelephoto lens.

The biggest downside is that you are relegated to a seated position - there is no way to lie down on the ground whilst in the Chair Blind. . So it won't work for those situations where you want/need to shoot from ground level.

I may add to this post in a bit, if I can find some photos of the chair blind in action, or photos taken from within the blind.

EDIT:
Ok, here's a shot taken from within the Chair Blind, to give you an idea of the view you will have when in one.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
There are two 'windows' that zip closed. . One is small and a bit lower - although it's small it's still big enough to get a big 600mm or 800mm lens through the opening. . The other opening is very wide and a bit higher - although it's extremely wide, you can use the zipper to make it much narrower. . If it's open too wide the birds can see inside and will not stay close for long. . Of course, the one that is open in the pic I posted is the big huge one, and it's opened up all the way so that I could show more of what lies outside the blind. . You decide which window you want to use for any given situation.

sponsored links

1,687 views & 18 likes for this thread
Handy Blind for Birding?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.